Sign in to follow this  
rwordenjr

Terra Scorcher vs TT02B

In the market for a new 4WD buggy. Performance wise, which is the better chassis ? Which do you guys like better ? The Thunder Shot chassis is obviously a lot more valuable but I’m going to be running it so not too worried about that. 

The Terra Scorcher is the better jumper, as well as being better on rougher ground, having been designed back in the days before smooth astroturf or carpeted "offroad" tracks became the norm. So as an all-terrain basher, it is superior IMO. The Neo Scorcher on the other hand, while not much good in the air and struggling with really rough ground due to its lower ground clearance and touring car origins, it is a great gravel/rough tarmac parking lot basher, more stable and less prone to rolling over than the Terra Scorcher. I like both - I just choose the one to match where I plan on going for my next bash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are you wanting to use it for? Neither are race kits, so best performance is a current race kit like the HB D418, Schumacher Cat L1, Associated B74 etc.

But between the 2 options it will depend where you're running it. I'm basing this off running my Boomerang and TT02B together.

The TT02B performs better on smooth surfaces as its basically an onroad car with longer arms. The ride height is low so it can struggle on grass and it doesn't jump well. I think thats a combination of low ride height and the longitudinal battery. If you want to run brushless motors then you really need to look at the DF02 metal diffs for it as the stock rear diff doesn't hold up well to more powerful motors. You can get any gear ratio though with the high speed gear set and yeah racing motor mount which is an advantage. 

The Terra Scorcher is an old school buggy with decent ground clearance but the steering isn't as precise. Its much better on rough ground or grass. I don't have one but would expect it to have a wider turning circle than the TT02B, and suffer from understeer. It also has limited gearing options so the motor choice is more limited, but a 13.5T brushless will run well in it.

Who is going to run it? I cringe when my son takes control of my Top Force or Boomerang but have no problems with him and his mates running the TT02B's around. I dont care if they crash them as very little goes wrong and they are cheap to fix.

If you want old school buggy and more modern performance then look at the DF01 buggies, currently the Top Force and Manta Ray are available. I think the Top Force is the better bet due to the adjustable arms and FRP chassis, but they are essentilly the same car just one is plastic and one is less plastic. Top Force is twice the price and really needs the oh-so pretty hi cap dampers too, so the Manta Ray could be the better bet. Or get all 4

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What are you wanting to use it for? Neither are race kits, so best performance is a current race kit like the HB D418, Schumacher Cat L1, Associated B74 etc.

But between the 2 options it will depend where you're running it. I'm basing this off running my Boomerang and TT02B together.

The TT02B performs better on smooth surfaces as its basically an onroad car with longer arms. The ride height is low so it can struggle on grass and it doesn't jump well. I think thats a combination of low ride height and the longitudinal battery. If you want to run brushless motors then you really need to look at the DF02 metal diffs for it as the stock rear diff doesn't hold up well to more powerful motors. You can get any gear ratio though with the high speed gear set and yeah racing motor mount which is an advantage. 

The Terra Scorcher is an old school buggy with decent ground clearance but the steering isn't as precise. Its much better on rough ground or grass. I don't have one but would expect it to have a wider turning circle than the TT02B, and suffer from understeer. It also has limited gearing options so the motor choice is more limited, but a 13.5T brushless will run well in it.

Who is going to run it? I cringe when my son takes control of my Top Force or Boomerang but have no problems with him and his mates running the TT02B's around. I dont care if they crash them as very little goes wrong and they are cheap to fix.

If you want old school buggy and more modern performance then look at the DF01 buggies, currently the Top Force and Manta Ray are available. I think the Top Force is the better bet due to the adjustable arms and FRP chassis, but they are essentilly the same car just one is plastic and one is less plastic. Top Force is twice the price and really needs the oh-so pretty hi cap dampers too, so the Manta Ray could be the better bet. Or get all 4

Not planning to race but will be using it on all on terrains (street, dirt, and carpet). 

59 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The Terra Scorcher is the better jumper, as well as being better on rougher ground, having been designed back in the days before smooth astroturf or carpeted "offroad" tracks became the norm. So as an all-terrain basher, it is superior IMO. The Neo Scorcher on the other hand, while not much good in the air and struggling with really rough ground due to its lower ground clearance and touring car origins, it is a great gravel/rough tarmac parking lot basher, more stable and less prone to rolling over than the Terra Scorcher. I like both - I just choose the one to match where I plan on going for my next bash.

seems like terra will be better for me.. I'm planning to use on all terrains

• Like 1

Terra Scorcher. With modern wheels and tyres appropriate to the surface this chassis runs really well. Even on the kit wheels and tyres it will be great on grass and soft dirt. 

Plus, the drivetrain is way more robust than a TT02B. Get a steel 17t pinion 54628 and it's geared really nicely for 13.5 brushless and runs great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Terra Scorcher. With modern wheels and tyres appropriate to the surface this chassis runs really well. Even on the kit wheels and tyres it will be great on grass and soft dirt. 

Plus, the drivetrain is way more robust than a TT02B. Get a steel 17t pinion 54628 and it's geared really nicely for 13.5 brushless and runs great. 

Thats interesting about the gearing. I was going to ask about yours. Im running 17t brushed and 13t pinions and its getting too hot and sending the 1060 into limp mode. Can't go smaller than 13t :(

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Thats interesting about the gearing. I was going to ask about yours. Im running 17t brushed and 13t pinions and its getting too hot and sending the 1060 into limp mode. Can't go smaller than 13t :(

Doesn't surprise me. My 17t brushed with 1060 in my FF03 gets pretty warm running gearing around 6.5 and that's in a light 2wd road car. The thundershot gearbox is really high geared given its vintage. With the 17t pinion it's 6.8 gearing which is pretty aggressive even for a modern buggy running 13.5. My tble02s would thermal after extended grass running on warm days with this setup. The hobbywing 10bl120 i have now runs fine, but she still gets warm. I run it with no timing on the esc to keep it sensible. 17.5 with some timing chucked at it would probably be the bulletproof option. Or drop the brushed motor to 21t? Given how long the gearing is it would probably still run pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Doesn't surprise me. My 17t brushed with 1060 in my FF03 gets pretty warm running gearing around 6.5 and that's in a light 2wd road car. The thundershot gearbox is really high geared given its vintage. With the 17t pinion it's 6.8 gearing which is pretty aggressive even for a modern buggy running 13.5. My tble02s would thermal after extended grass running on warm days with this setup. The hobbywing 10bl120 i have now runs fine, but she still gets warm. I run it with no timing on the esc to keep it sensible. 17.5 with some timing chucked at it would probably be the bulletproof option. Or drop the brushed motor to 21t? Given how long the gearing is it would probably still run pretty quickly. 

I dont have any brushed motors around 21t. Plenty of 13-18 turn. Its also an exposed motor so dont want to put anything nice in it!

Might take the 13.5t and tble out the lunchbox and use that. Maybe drop to 15 or 16t pinion? What do you think? Will be being used on a short, tight grass track during the current situation.

4 minutes ago, graemevw said:

I dont have any brushed motors around 21t. Plenty of 13-18 turn. Its also an exposed motor so dont want to put anything nice in it!

Might take the 13.5t and tble out the lunchbox and use that. Maybe drop to 15 or 16t pinion? What do you think? Will be being used on a short, tight grass track during the current situation.

13.5 with tble02 and 15-16 pinion would be spot on i reckon. 

• Like 1

Just now, ThunderDragonCy said:

13.5 with tble02 and 15-16 pinion would be spot on i reckon. 

Thanks.

Just need to decide what level of mental brushed will replace the lunchies 13.5t then 😂

• Haha 1

Terra Scorcher. Like others have said, the drivetrain is durable and it will handle a greater variety of terrains. The Terra Scorcher was a good step up from the previous Hotshot series of buggies. It comes with a nice metal motor mount instead of those fiddly little silver plates. The steering is finally ironed out and the bumpsteer was eliminated. From what I recall, it turned in pretty well too, being far less plagued by understeer than previous buggies. The TT02B seems to be one of those buggies where most of the off road buggies that came before it were better at... well, being an off road buggy. I know why Tamiya made them (homogenize platforms, etc) but with low ground clearance and a questionable drivetrain, I don't see them as particularly effective at being an offroad buggy, entry level or not. 

• Like 2

I think both have their place. The TT-02B isn't particularly effective in stock form I agree, but once the glaring drivetrain and ground clearance issues are addressed with metal diff gears and larger wheels/tyres respectively, it is a tough and reliable basher with cheap and plentiful spares available, well suited to use on urban surfaces that are a bit too rough for a touring car but don't warrant a fully-fledged offroader such as a truck for example.

• Like 2

Terra Scorcher it is! I've just pre-ordered it but who knows when it'll actually be released now with what's going on in the world. 

• Like 3