graemevw

Hankering after a stadium truck

Keep thinking about getting some kind of stadium struck.

Id love a rc10t but hard to find, expensive, rare parts etc so mainly looking at the tamiya options.

I want it to handle well and i want it to be sturdy. This will no doubt be made pretty quick and driven on track as well as on my back garden track.

I like the look of the stadium thunder/blitzer but cant help feel the old chassis may not be the best and might be a bit brittle.

The other option is the aqroshot. Would this be stronger and better handling? Jump better?

It looks awfull though, but i guess i could put a stadium thunder body on it? (or even a rc10t 😂) and some decent dirt tyres of some description (anything other than blitzer tyres that fit? Or wheel swaps?)

Any thoughts or recommendations on any of this?

Been playing with rc10s and Schumachers so would be nice to get back onto a tamiya, but if there is a better stadium truck out there for similar (cheap 😉) money i could be tempted.

Sorry to ask, but as im enjoying my vintage schumachers at the moment, whats the deal with their old trucks? Storm? Shotgun?

Cant find much info and didnt even know these things existed!

Somewhere about here

Is the build for my DT-03 Stadium.

Think I still have that one, I need to go and look

• Like 1

I agree the aqroshot is an awful shell, but the DT03 is a great basher with a couple of mods. This is mine with schumacher truck tyres on the Blitzer wheels (orange version of the aqroshot wheels) with a proline f150 raptor dual cab shell.

Tamiya Junkies meet Robin Hood Raceway 22nd Feb 2020

Its the only shell at 275mm wheelbase i could find that comes close to the 289mm wheelbase of the DT03. Another option if you are starting from scratch would be a DT02 like a Sand Viper. That has some choice hop ups like steel driveshafts, same suspension as the DT03 but has 260mm wheelbase so way more aftermarket monster truck shell options that should fit. J Concepts and Proline have loads. Search 1/10th scale monster truck shells and check wheelbase and width. Just get the mad bull steering part bag to get the long front axles, blitzer wheels, schumacher truck tyres. Keep the sand viper shell as a chassis cover. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Tamiya Junkies meet Robin Hood Raceway 22nd Feb 2020

Looks great!

Didnt know about the wheelbase difference. Is dt03 just a lwb dt02? I know nothing about these things! Just wondering if its easier to shorten a dt03 (if even possible) or truck convert the dt02. If dt02 has some nicer parts then thats probably best.

If truck converting the dt02 do i not need and different arms, or shocks etc?

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

How tough are these things? 

Mine has been pretty durable. It's not brilliant on the jumps, but then neither am i! Apparently some people report the 02 is more durable than the 03. 

• Like 1

Thinking i could buy a stadium thunder and a sand viper, use what i want from each.

Would get me all i need apart from front axles? I assume the thunder ones wont fit. I like the ST body and the yellow wheels. What are the stock tyres like? Awfull, or ok untill they need replacing?

2 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Thinking i could buy a stadium thunder and a sand viper, use what i want from each.

Would get me all i need apart from front axles? I assume the thunder ones wont fit. I like the ST body and the yellow wheels. What are the stock tyres like? Awfull, or ok untill they need replacing?

No, the Thunder axles are exactly the same as the mad bull axles. Mad bull axle bag is just cheapest way to get them as a separate part. I would be tempted just to get the ST. Plenty of people run them on here and they seem solid. They aren't massively different to the DT02 i don't think. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

No, the Thunder axles are exactly the same as the mad bull axles. Mad bull axle bag is just cheapest way to get them as a separate part. I would be tempted just to get the ST. Plenty of people run them on here and they seem solid. They aren't massively different to the DT02 i don't think. 

Plenty of folk do seem to run this chassis pretty hard, just heard a fair few stories of cracked tubs etc.

Also assuming (maybe wrongly) the newer dt chassis would handle better.

2 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Plenty of folk do seem to run this chassis pretty hard, just heard a fair few stories of cracked tubs etc.

Also assuming (maybe wrongly) the newer dt chassis would handle better.

It probably does to be honest. There's a lot of love for the DT02 whereas there's less enthusiasm for the DT03. Never had one myself though.

I find the 03 better in the rough. Less of a flat bottom than the 02 to hit stuff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Apparently some people report the 02 is more durable than the 03. 

I've read similar things. Apparently, in more serious collisions the DT03's chassis can snap.

The Blitzter series is very close to the Bear Hawk that birthed them. The chassis and suspension arms etc. are all the same. Tamiya added oil shocks as standard. The gave it longer front uprights for the stadium wheels. Lastly, Tamiya did slightly alter the internal gearing to drive the larger stadium tires. Bear Hawk and Blitzer gearboxes are different. Blitzers are fairly rudimentary compared to an RC10T. They have the "look" but not the tech. That said, they work really well. They handle decently, jump well and are durable. There's a few additions like turnbuckles you can add, but as a runner, they need nothing out of the box aside from a steel pinion and bearings. The rear tires wear fast on pavement and there is some bumpsteer. The bumpsteer can be mitigated by flipping the uprights side to side as others have done on here. The chassis tub does come originally from the Falcon which was famous for tub cracking issues at the front end. For some reason, I hear less about this issue on Blitzers. The front suspension sub assembly is completely different between the Falcon and the Blitzer. There are some bracing methods including one from Ampro to aid with this, though I've never had an issue with it on mine. Honestly, they are descent little trucks.

The DT02 always seemed like the natural evolution of the Berahawk/Blitzer to me. The two share more in common design-wise than the earlier DT01 for sure. The DT02 can easily be converted to stadium duty with longer front uprights, stadium wheels/tires and an appropriate body/mounts. Nothing else needed. The DT02's gearing is not optimized for the stadium sized tires however. This might be an issue with brushed motors. I can't say directly for sure. I know someone in the showrooms has done this conversion. The DT02 seems a bit more "refined" or streamlined design-wise than the Blitzer but both are equally serviceable with strong drivetrains. I'm unaware of any chassis issues with the DT02.

• Like 2

Gearing is no problem. The 02 and 03 gearboxes are the same and i have neen running truck wheels for years. Just use the smaller 17t pinion and you're golden. 

• Like 1

Obviously im now looking at dyna blasters 😂

Stupid thoughts, really need to stop buying rare cars and then getting frustrated when i cant find the parts to fix them when the inevitable happens. 

So, if i want something that looks like a stadium thunder, i may as well buy one rather than building something around a dt02. Is that what were all saying?

Or, get an aqroshot and a long body. (They are 2/3rds the price of a stadium thunder!)

Did briefly consider trying to build a decent orv stadium struck. But thats just silly.

3 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Obviously im now looking at dyna blasters 😂

Stupid thoughts, really need to stop buying rare cars and then getting frustrated when i cant find the parts to fix them when the inevitable happens. 

So, if i want something that looks like a stadium thunder, i may as well buy one rather than building something around a dt02. Is that what were all saying?

Or, get an aqroshot and a long body. (They are 2/3rds the price of a stadium thunder!)

Did briefly consider trying to build a decent orv stadium struck. But thats just silly.

Ha! If you want something that really handles, get a zahhak from tamico and put blitzer wheels and body on it. 

Remember with aqroshot you'll need to spend 30 quid on Schumacher truck tyres and foams. By the time you have done that and bought a body the price will be similar. Get a ST. Those neon wheels are amazing! 

Do NOT get an ORV truck!

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Ha! If you want something that really handles, get a zahhak from tamico and put blitzer wheels and body on it. 

Remember with aqroshot you'll need to spend 30 quid on Schumacher truck tyres and foams. By the time you have done that and bought a body the price will be similar. Get a ST. Those neon wheels are amazing! 

Do NOT get an ORV truck!

Hmmm, zahhak truck. Now theres a thought :)

neon yellow wheels rule!

i have an orv truck. Its a blackfoot/brat hybrid with tlt wheels. Rear arms are on bearings, painted like a ranger.

its great, but not at driving 😂

the rear suspension set up in now great, and it had hex fit wheels all round. I often think about putting all the front arms on bearings, removing all slop, making the front arms longer etc. With ALOT or work and a lexan body i recon i could build a 'reasonable' orv stadium truck. But ultimately it will be frustrating and disappointing.

With the longer wheelbase of the dt03 and a shot wheelbase body i guess it would end up looking similar to a dyna blaster proportionally.

5 minutes ago, graemevw said:

There were very highly modified Blackfoots from back in the day designed to combat the influx of RC10 conversion trucks (pre King Cab/JRXT days). I've seen ORVs loaded down with every conceivable hop up from fiberglass shock towers w/ Kyosho Golds and Trackmaster belt drive transmissions and they still couldn't stand up to a set-up RC10 conversion truck with equal drivers.

10 minutes ago, graemevw said:

In the end, yes probably. The DT02's transmission is a bit more refined and compact, but both are good and strong. The Blitzer uses the older two-piece suspension arm design (which actually stay cleaner in dirt) but there's nothing wrong there. Both have direct steering. I suppose the DT02 chassis is stronger but I wouldn't consider it worth the extra time and money to make the conversion.

10 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I don't know the particulars on how to do it (IIRC, the front uprights are different on the DN01 than the typical Tamiya fare) but the end result would be a great handling stadium truck.

• Like 2

Im not opposed to buying 2 kits, blending them together and selling off the leftovers so all the hybrid options are ok with me. It normaly works out the same price or cheaper in the end.

I think i actually MADE money building my brat/blackfoot hybrid 😂

• Like 1

I will just step in and defend the blitzer chassis.
They are, in my opinion a totally valid chassis for modern use and bashing. The gears are thick and chunky to take higher power motors, the plastics are a great balance of hard and flexible so as to be pretty tough, they drive pretty well and the suspension is one of the best "vintage" releases. 

There are only 3 main issues with the chassis.

The stock tires are horrible, the fronts are decent but the rears are too hard and will wear down to useless after two runs. Schumacher truck tires are a welcome upgrade. 
Bump steer is pretty bad, but you flip the LH and RH knuckles over and 30 seconds with a file makes sure everything clears and the bump steer is gone.
where the front portion screws to the chassis tub can be prone to cracking, I've never had this problem even using 3s and 3500kv motors but there is an Ampro brace available to prevent this and if you're really worried long M3 bolts and nylocs all the way through seems to be a easy strong mod. 

• Like 3

Seems zahhaks are traditionally hard to get hold of. Only option is from hong kong.

Been looking at aqroshots again and they just look too long to me, so stadium thunder or converted dt02 it is.

Unless i find a cheap rc10t or Schumacher.

I have a ta02 black porsche to sell first, then ill get ordering :)

thanks everyone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

There were very highly modified Blackfoots from back in the day designed to combat the influx of RC10 conversion trucks (pre King Cab/JRXT days). I've seen ORVs loaded down with every conceivable hop up from fiberglass shock towers w/ Kyosho Golds and Trackmaster belt drive transmissions and they still couldn't stand up to a set-up RC10 conversion truck with equal drivers.

In the end, yes probably. The DT02's transmission is a bit more refined and compact, but both are good and strong. The Blitzer uses the older two-piece suspension arm design (which actually stay cleaner in dirt) but there's nothing wrong there. Both have direct steering. I suppose the DT02 chassis is stronger but I wouldn't consider it worth the extra time and money to make the conversion.

I don't know the particulars on how to do it (IIRC, the front uprights are different on the DN01 than the typical Tamiya fare) but the end result would be a great handling stadium truck.

Pretty simple. Fitting blitzer long axle knuckles just needs a small bit of modifcation to the c hub and some spacers. At the rear, drill out a 7mm wide 12mm hex to 5mm all the way through and boom! Hex conversion with wider track to even up front and rear ends. 

@graemevw Zahhak at Tamico for 170 euros...... 

• Like 1

I have a Stadium Thunder/Blitzer ( I have bothe bodies with mounting holes adapted to fit both).

2019_0405stadiumthunderbuild0023.JPG.0a8b625f9c01d593e2fa340d695e60b7.JPGIMG_1701.JPG.eb484e2b014503600a6ddfa909c5dfc3.JPG

Bearings, Steel pinion, bumpsteer conversion,  and 4300kw sensorless brushless power. A joy to drive, rear wheel drive at its simplest. Real fun. I agree the tyres especially the rears dissapear fast on tarmac but its fun getting there. I think Schumacher V4 Blue truck tyres are a good replacement and you can I beleive V2 fits the front. I still have a couple of original sets to get through so havent gone down that route yet. Next week I'm going to start an Aqroshot so I cant comment, but it will have 13.5t brushless bluebottle along with bearings etc. I quite like the look of it, mine wont be box art!! U have some Mettalic Orange just waiting to be used.

Failing that if you can find an Asterion (XV-01T) they are a formidable truck. And I do love a truck!!!

!IMG_1639.JPG.df7de1d4b0a0633ef713a2d639e21f2e.JPG

Hope this helps:wub:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Pretty simple. Fitting blitzer long axle knuckles just needs a small bit of modifcation to the c hub and some spacers. At the rear, drill out a 7mm wide 12mm hex to 5mm all the way through and boom! Hex conversion with wider track to even up front and rear ends. 

@graemevw Zahhak at Tamico for 170 euros...... 

Tamico are saying not available :(