graemevw

Hankering after a stadium truck

What about a TLR 22T? It's a beautiful chassis with a lot of innovative features, great parts availability, healthy aftermarket, and will easily outperform any Tamiya offering. It has excellent power handling ability, too.

If it's got to be Tamiya, I like the idea of a DN01 conversion or a 211 conversion, but I'd do an XV01 Long Damper myself. Slipper, aluminum suspension mounts, wheels, tires, and body, and done. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

What about a TLR 22T? It's a beautiful chassis with a lot of innovative features, great parts availability, healthy aftermarket, and will easily outperform any Tamiya offering. It has excellent power handling ability, too.

If it's got to be Tamiya, I like the idea of a DN01 conversion or a 211 conversion, but I'd do an XV01 Long Damper myself. Slipper, aluminum suspension mounts, wheels, tires, and body, and done. 

The losi looks intersting, but hideous. Nothing a new body wouldnt sort

Dn01 are looking tricky to find, dont know if more are expected. 211 also hard to get in the uk.

Xv01, thats a rally kit isnt it? Wouldn't it need longer arms? Really not looking for short course style, more proper old school stadium truck style. 

35 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

The Nissan Titan DT02 is strictly a stadium truck I guess, and currently available?

Yeah, i saw that. Didnt know it existed. Needs body and wheels to get it anywhere near where id want so no better than the sand viper start point i guess.

42 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Yeah, i saw that. Didnt know it existed. Needs body and wheels to get it anywhere near where id want so no better than the sand viper start point i guess.

Although it does have longer travel shocks and body mounts posts by the look of it, unlike the sand viper

7 minutes ago, matisse said:

Although it does have longer travel shocks and body mounts posts by the look of it, unlike the sand viper

True, hadnt considered that.

Ill look into all options thoroughly before i buy anything.

• Like 1

Stadium thunder! But act quick on buying because they're getting harder to find. You can still get from TamiyaUSA for full MSRP ($269Usd+Ship) or get from sellers in Japan/China for $190ish Usd shipping included. 

I just got done building mine a few days ago and they're real fun to drive. 

IMG_0699.jpg

• Like 4

Off topic but thinking of getting a Spektrum DX3 Smart 3 Channel Transmitter/Receiver as a backup radio. It doesn't have model memory though. How important is model memory to you guys? If I decide to setup a few cars with the Spektrum gear, it seems like a real pain to have to adjust all the settings again every time I switch to new car. 

2 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Off topic but thinking of getting a Spektrum DX3 Smart 3 Channel Transmitter/Receiver as a backup radio. It doesn't have model memory though. How important is model memory to you guys? If I decide to setup a few cars with the Spektrum gear, it seems like a real pain to have to adjust all the settings again every time I switch to new car. 

Super important to me, such a pain to reset the trims each time

12 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Yeah, its handy, especially when you have set end points etc too.

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

Model memory is vital! Splurge and grab a DX5. It's a nice radio with plenty of memory, and has great features for surface use.

I use a Futaba 4PX, and have my entire fleet programmed into it. It makes everything so convenient.

2 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Model memory is vital! Splurge and grab a DX5. It's a nice radio with plenty of memory, and has great features for surface use.

I use a Futaba 4PX, and have my entire fleet programmed into it. It makes everything so convenient.

I currently have the 3PV, looking to get a second radio just so I can run some of my new cars (terra scorcher) at the same time as my other vehicles. Don't really want to spend another $100+ though on a radio but it seems the only way to get a radio with model memory is by doing so.

What about a later model AE, like a T5M onwards, brilliant runners

• Like 1

+1 for TLR 22T.

Im4WNlU.md.jpg

The rest of the family.

2013-06-28_13-39-30_898.md.jpg

You can't really go wrong with any of the well known brands.

Local support should be a big consideration in deciding what to buy.

If you can duck down to the LHS for spares and hop ups, or borrow a part from a fellow racer at the track it makes life easy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I currently have the 3PV, looking to get a second radio just so I can run some of my new cars (terra scorcher) at the same time as my other vehicles. Don't really want to spend another $100+ though on a radio but it seems the only way to get a radio with model memory is by doing so.

Flysky GT5 has 20 model memory and the receivers are ubder 10 quid. 

The losi trucks dont seem to be readily available in the uk.

The later associated trucks are on my radar, but with those and the losi's, costs could get out of hand. Ill see what comes up once ive freed up some cash.

• Like 1

Well, i sort of panicked and ordered a stadium thunder.

I didnt even really mean too. Was checking stock, checking paypal funds, corrected my delivery address, thought id think about it a little before i committed and the magic words appeared, 'your order has been placed' 😂

It may, or may not, get hybridized with a dt02 or dn01, ill have a good nosey around it when it gets here and see what i think.

It may not be the best stadium truck out there, but who cares :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

Well, i sort of panicked and ordered a stadium thunder.

I didnt even really mean too. Was checking stock, checking paypal funds, corrected my delivery address, thought id think about it a little before i committed and the magic words appeared, 'your order has been placed' 😂

It may, or may not, get hybridized with a dt02 or dn01, ill have a good nosey around it when it gets here and see what i think.

It may not be the best stadium truck out there, but who cares :)

It's a great truck! Easy to maintain and most importantly, FUN. 

Im looking forward to the build. Might modify it a bit, depending on if i think there is much room for improvement.

Whats the trodden path with these? Flip the steering knuckles side to side. But anything else? Adjustable top arms easy enough? What about any bracing? Hows rear toe?

Ive no idea what this chassis looks like but may treat it as a little project to tweek it as far as i can.

Front shocks look quite short. Any need to try and get more travel in the suspension?

Im sure all these questions will be answered once it gets here.

Need to decide on some funky 90s fluoro race paint job. Box art looks good, but am going for 'track reject/underdog' kind of look.

• Like 1

Build it with bearings and at least a sports tuned motor and the bumpsteer change then just run it ragged. Then if you want to play with upgrades etc brushless, lipos etc go for it. Apart from my Asterion it gets more use than any other.

7 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Build it with bearings and at least a sports tuned motor and the bumpsteer change then just run it ragged. Then if you want to play with upgrades etc brushless, lipos etc go for it. Apart from my Asterion it gets more use than any other.

Sweet.

Not sure what motor it will get. Might put my dynatech 01r in it, or might go brushless, ill see what i think it needs.

Got loads of bearings so hopefully got that covered, although i probably had better check!

Ill probably try and remove slop and use as few self tappers as possible.

What are the arm hinge pins on these? Are they e clip shafts or those ones with a screw section up by the head?

They are screw pins. Shims are a good idea, plus I've found that top force CVD seem to fit too if that's your jam.

1 hour ago, graemevw said:

Im looking forward to the build. Might modify it a bit, depending on if i think there is much room for improvement.

Whats the trodden path with these? Flip the steering knuckles side to side. But anything else? Adjustable top arms easy enough? What about any bracing? Hows rear toe?

Ive no idea what this chassis looks like but may treat it as a little project to tweek it as far as i can.

Front shocks look quite short. Any need to try and get more travel in the suspension?

Im sure all these questions will be answered once it gets here.

Need to decide on some funky 90s fluoro race paint job. Box art looks good, but am going for 'track reject/underdog' kind of look.

I believe the reverse knuckles was for the original. I have a rere just like you’re getting and mine is built normally and it doesn’t have the steering issue the original had.