TurnipJF

Turnip builds a TA-02

3 minutes ago, svenb said:

Should be fine with the masking, I've left mine on for a couple of weeks before. 

Is if going to be full prodrive rally livery? 

That's good to know. I ordered the paint with express delivery, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

And yes indeed - full boxart livery on this one!

• Like 1

With the DHL "next day" delivery finally arriving after 5 days, I have received the paint at last!

With only one colour required, it didn't take long at all to spray, and the decals were pre-cut too so after a few hours' work the shell looks like this:

2020-04-10_09-59-33

Tomorrow when the paint has had a bit more curing time I'll add the light buckets, then the shell will be complete. 

• Like 5

And so is the completed shell, bringing this project to its conclusion!

20200411_160832

2020-04-11_04-41-59

2020-04-11_04-47-07

• Like 8

The shell and wheels look to have come out well enough for shelf display, so for running the chassis will be dressed like so:

2020-04-11_05-11-10

• Like 3

Love it! It looks like it should be moving and making noise! I can see why you would want it for the shelf.

• Like 1

Things, they are a-changing!

With my acquisition and subsequent restoration of a TB-01, the rally cars are undergoing a bodyshell reshuffle. I now have three 4WD rally chassis - the TB-01, this TA-02, and a TT-01. I rather like the idea of the chassis and bodies being in date order. For example, my M-04 has a shell representing the Karmann Ghia from the '50s, my M-06 has a shell representing the Renault Alpine A110 from the '60s, and my M-08 wears a Mazda MX-5 shell representing the 2019 30th Anniversary edition. I wanted to do the same with my rally cars. Thus, the TT-01 is now wearing the '07 Subaru shell shown earlier in this thread, the TB-01 is wearing the '99 Mitsubishi Evo VI shell that used to belong to the TT-01, and this chassis is going to receive a new shell representing the oldest successful 4WD rally car - the '82 Audi Quattro.

So stay tuned for further updates over the next few days as the TA-02 gets re-shelled!

• Like 5

Unsurprisingly, we start with a bodyset.

2022-04-28_08-52-50

The decal sheet contains a relatively small number of rather large decals, so while cutting them out shouldn't be too arduous, applying them is likely to be a challenge even with the aid of soapy water and a heat gun. 

• Like 2

🤞

14 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

shouldn't be too arduous, applying them is likely to be a challenge even with the aid of soapy water and a heat gun. 

Trimming the shell was pretty easy - just straight lines and simple curves. 

2022-04-28_02-14-40

• Like 1

The stock cutlines seem to be intended for running low profile on-road tyres as the larger rally blocks catch the front of the front wheel arches when turning. A little bit of extra trimming is required. These offcuts give you an idea of how much needs to come off.

2022-04-28_02-15-41

The rear arches and the rear of the front ones clear the tyres without issue. 

With the arches shaped, the edges sanded and the body post holes drilled, we are just about ready for masking. 

2022-04-28_02-16-30

The weather however is not quite playing ball, so paint may need to wait until tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Paint came out well, now for the decals.

2022-04-30_02-44-40

2022-04-30_02-44-23

2022-04-30_02-44-04

The instructions call for you to mask the entire car apart from the front grille, spray it black, then unmask the rest of the car apart from the windows and lights, and spray it white.

I found it more efficient to mask just the grille area, windows and lights, spray the car white, then remove the masking from the grille and brush paint the black bits. It doesn't require any significant skill, as all of the transitions from black to white are hidden by decals, and masks are supplied for the headlight lenses. 

• Like 4

The decals are on.

2022-05-05_10-36-19

They looked daunting, with multiple pieces that had to align with multiple others, but they went on pretty easily in the end. 

On the home stretch now - I just need to drill holes for the auxiliary lights, wing and mirrors, attach them and trim the rear body posts to length, then I am happy to call it done. 

• Like 9

The car is done!

However since the parking area where I typically drive and photograph my RC cars is currently full of fullsize ones, I shall have to make do with with driving a virtual version on the Xbox instead.

2022-05-06_01-19-43

Those of you familiar with this body set will notice that I have not painted the mirrors or the the light buckets for the auxiliary lights. The instructions call for these to be painted black. However I am not confident that I will get them looking perfect, and rather than having a messy paint job, I would rather them have no paint at all.

Personally I don't think that white mirrors and chrome auxiliary light buckets detract from the model, and I shall take some photos of it in the sunshine when space is available.

In the meantime, here is one of it on the shelf with the other two 4WD rally cars in my fleet - a TB01 Mitsubishi Evo and a TT-01 Subaru Impreza.

2022-05-06_03-16-46

• Like 3

Good weather, daytime and availability have finally coincided to allow me to get some photos of the completed car in the sunshine.

2022-05-14_03-18-46

2022-05-14_03-14-41

2022-05-14_03-20-29

2022-05-14_03-23-17

• Like 7

Awesome mate, I've always liked this old school squared off bodyB)

• Thanks 1

looks like itll be a blast!

the ta02 always seemed like it was most suited for a rally build

• Thanks 1

Excellent job! I enjoyed building mine on the TT02 chassis I race, but it looks very second hand now 😬

DACD9319-594F-41FB-A6BA-DA85B92A0175.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1