wolfdogstinkus

What cars do you miss?

So, there probably is a similar thread somewhere, if so please merge.

I'm currently having loads of fun with my boys lunchbox, but I will probably have to return it to him soon, (after more thorough testing of course). 

I have a clod, but don't use it much because it's a bit slow. (It's a show car, not a go car)

But just watched an old video and I miss this beast. 

So,.... Do I go all out on the hp wars with a lunchbox with my boy?. He already has a massive head start in this department as his lunchie is already hitting an easy 27mph on first test. 

Or get another Clod and make another 6wd but clod based this time?.  

The clod has full working lights and a sound unit but it needs a bit more power to be fun. 

• Like 1

And the parts that I don't need in the 2nd clod kit could help towards paying for 3 brushless motors. Lol

At one point a couple of years ago, I had two vintage Clods, both mostly stock, both bought dirt cheap (one was $50 and one was $10). I sold/traded them both. Should have kept one.

Same thing with the five (5!!!) Kyosho Raiders I somehow ended up with. Should have kept one.

Also used to have a really nice Optima Mid. Sold it to someone on here to fund parts for a rear-motor Optima restoration. Then Kyosho re-re'd the Optima. And I'll never find another Mid that clean for a reasonable price again.

Ah well, hindsight is 20/20, as they say...

I miss the Kyosho Maxxum quite a bit. That was one neat car. Wish I had my old RC12L back, too.

Oddly, I don't miss any of the nitro cars I've owned. I tend to hang onto the electric cars forever, and sell off the nitro fast.

• Like 1

My Bear Hawk and my Dark Impact. The Dark Impact just needed different tires and it would have been one of my favorite cars to run.

Obvs I miss the first RC I Had, a madcap, but I really miss a couple of cars from my 1/18th scale racing days. A LWB LRP Shark that I had converted to use big bore dampers, and a Carisma GT14B that I designed a custom chassis for.

• Like 1

I was going through old photos of cars I've sold or given away, and here are some I do miss...

Parma Impala on a TT01R (sold the body, kept the chassis, would love to have the body again but dang it took so much masking work):

spacer.png

HPI Dodge RAM on a DT02 (sold it all except the tires/wheels, would love to have the body again on a DN01):

spacer.png

HPI Honda Odyssey on a TB03 (sold the body, kept the chassis, wouldn't mind having this body or the ABC version of it again):

spacer.png

RJ Speed Digger (sold it all except the Sport 3.2 ball diff I added, wouldn't mind another one):

spacer.png

Mad Bull (gave it away, but I have another one to build someday - do I really want to recreate this?):

spacer.png

OFNA NEXX8 (sold it all, but I regret it as it was a very well-balanced and very durable buggy; planning a TRF801X build to replace it someday):

spacer.png

HPI Barracuda on a TB03 (sold the body, kept the chassis, really wish I hadn't sold it now!):

spacer.png

I think I miss the bodies more than chassis in most cases...

Thinking about it a little more deeply, what I miss now is the sense of discovery and easy gratification that came with the early days.  I'm not sure I can explain it well, but in the early stages of the hobby I was trying a lot of different kits, both on-road and off-road, and getting some sense of what I liked.  My tools, batteries, chargers, etc. were all getting upgraded as I kept learning more.  I made the jump into 3D printing, built a mini CNC engraver, and set up a vinyl cutter, and now the hobby is suddenly feeling more like work!  In the beginning RC projects were 20-30 hour investments, and they were all driven and enjoyed, but now with the extra tools and capabilities projects can grow to 100-200+ hour large-scale static model endeavors.  My ambitions are bigger than my patience, so projects are started and laid aside many times.  So, I'm not sure where to go next in the hobby:  Many smaller projects of limited scope, or a few bigger projects that take more commitment?

• Like 3

I miss my Marui Land Cruiser and Super G my folks threw out but other than that, not much. I had a short arm RC10 I sold once I kinda regret, but I met a great fellow enthusiast during the sale so that balances out I guess. I wish I hadn't sold my F350 High Lift, but it funded my Bruiser re-re at the time. I don't let go of too much honestly. There are a lot of 1:1 cars I sold throughout the years like my '65 Nova SS and the V8 Vega I built that I feel very bad about parting with down the line. I guess when you're in the thick of it, you don't think about how baby boomers are going suddenly use their new-found spending money to drive up the cost of a hobby to crazy heights (even worse when you're whole existence, from job to home life is based around it). Anyway, that taught me a valuable lesson about seller's remorse so I'm very careful about what I sell. Usually when I sell something, it has sat for years untouched. You have to think about stuff like that and think "is my life going to be any less enriched if this thing isn't in it?". Its tricky because nostalgia is a tricky lens through which we often view the past. I may miss my Emaxx I sold one day but I have to remember 1. It took forever to charge two batteries. 2. It was too big and fast for my yard. 3. It was too big and heavy to be lugging places to run and there weren't any places to run it anyway. 4. Not a Tamiya, and I'm slightly embarrassed to be seen in public with Traxxas gear because of the Traxxas-user stereotype (stupid, I know) 5. Still looks like one of those weird truggy things and not like a real monster truck.

From a more nebulous approach, this:

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

what I miss now is the sense of discovery and easy gratification that came with the early days. 

There was a sweet spot in the early/mid 2000s when I joined Tamiyaclub. I had more money than when I was a kid and older used kits were affordable on Ebay. Just getting my hands on some of these childhood dreams like a Monster Beetle or M38 Wild Willy was like a dream come true. Everything was less serious and fun. Tamiya was bringing out new and interesting models like the DF03, DB01, High Lift, TXT-1 and CR01, not just recycling the TT02B and DT03 or, until recently, the years of WT/WR01 trucks with different bodies. The upside is the amount of re-res we've been blessed with although the excitement of even those has died down. I remember the incredible amount of post leading up to the rerelease of pivotal models from the first news to time-of-purchase. The Hotshot re-re topic got 331 post of raw excitement. The Terra Scorcher now sits at 47. Apples to oranges perhaps but still...

My first RC car, the Frog i built with my dad. I have absolutely no idea what happened to it, but i have one rear shock and half of the chassis. I know its the original chassis, because i painted fake mud on it as a kid. The weird thing is though, i dont remember ever taking it apart.

Still have pictures of me playing with it though.

J

My first was a sand scorcher and second was a Brat. Both originals. Had loads of fun with both. The brat ended up with a wooden mk1 Land Rover body (my best work) and the scorcher chassis was cut and shut to fit various bodies. I miss them both and they are both in my sights but will wait until things settle down a bit. I also wish I’d bought a Ranger but you can’t miss what you’ve never had!!!!

I miss my original Rough Rider that a family friend gave me when I was 12. 

I miss my Saint Dragon which was the first brand new kit I built.

I miss my Losi Jr-T stadium truck which was the last rc i had before I sold everything off.

I miss my third buggy, from my initial dip in the rc waters, a Schumacher Cat, that I made 2wd, god it was quick at my local races, I wasn't the best driver, but I loved that car.

• Like 1

I miss my Traxxas Rad 2, still can't remember for the life of me what happened to it.

I miss my.. (in no particular order)

- Original gold pan RC10

- Kyosho Lazer ZX-5

- Carisma Nissan Skyline GTR R32 (brushless upgraded)

- Losi XX4 with Novak Super Sport Sensored Brushless system (to my knowledge, the first brushless system offered in mainstream RC)

- Kyosho Mini Inferno & Kyosho Mini Inferno ST (both with carbon chassis/brushless.. blah blah you get it)

- Losi Muggy 1/8 converted to brushless

- Redcat Rampage XBE 1/5 scale brushless electric buggy

-Tenth Technology Predator

- Original Monster Beetle with chrome chassis, track master transmission and Astro Turbo puller motor

- Tamiya Falcon (used and abused and ratty as ever but was my first)

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

My pretend RC shop has the cars I did miss.. so luckily no more. B)

You can send me some of your doubles that I miss or never had you know. SA, TS, OM... :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

You can send me some of your doubles that I miss or never had you know. SA, TS, OM... :lol:

:lol:  

Luckily there aren't many new releases that excite me these days so will probably just stick with the vintage/legendary series cars.  I think I will do the BH WO down the road.. yours looks so good!   :wub:   If you think about it, WO is also an older design near-vintage.. so I guess I'm just stuck in that pre-2000 era.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

:lol:  

Luckily there aren't many new releases that excite me these days so will probably just stick with the vintage/legendary series cars.  I think I will do the BH WO down the road.. yours looks so good!   :wub:   If you think about it, WO is also an older design near-vintage.. so I guess I'm just stuck in that pre-2000 era.  

I always love the WO. It was a dream kit I never had back in the day. It was only 2 years ago when a good friend of mine gave me because he had three. The two being re-re, one built and one kept unbuilt in the original box. I didn't really have plans of converting the WO until I saw the BH one with silver and grey bits instead of the red and with a blue body. I instantly fell in love with it (like I did with the original WO back in the 80s). So when the BH parts became available, I went for it. But I actually ended up spending more than buying the whole BH kit due to separate tax and shipping costs from ebay & RCMart. :blink:

But hey, that wouldn't be a conversion anymore if I bought the entire kit would it? :lol:

Now falling in love with the TS is another story. I used to just see it in catalogs (just like the WO). That is a mission that I must accomplish this year (and another touring 4wd car :D). I will scrap the BBX plans and remain with the nostalgic one. Especially after seeing your builds which inspired me even more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I always love the WO. It was a dream kit I never had back in the day. It was only 2 years ago when a good friend of mine gave me because he had three. The two being re-re, one built and one kept unbuilt in the original box. I didn't really have plans of converting the WO until I saw the BH one with sliver and grey bits instead of the red and with a blue body. I instantly fell in love with it (like I did with the original WO back in the 80s). So when the BH parts became available, I went for it. But I actually ended up spending more than buying the whole BH kit due to separate tax and shipping costs. :blink:

But hey, that wouldn't be a conversion anymore if I bought the entire kit would it? :lol:

Now falling in love with the TS is another story. I used to just see it in catalogs (just like the WO). That is a mission that I must accomplish this year (and another touring 4wd car :D). I will scrap the BBX plans and remain with the nostalgic one. Especially after seeing your builds which inspired me even more.

Yeah, the WO is a great looking car for sure.  I've been itching to make a non-Willy one, but got side tracked by all the Kyosho's legendary series which I was very late to start.  I do not own a BH product so want to get atleast their WO.

Thanks on the TurboScorpion.  Next up this week for me is the rere Scorpion which I plan to do box art.. but I've seen some different color scheme ones and they look so good!  But forcing myself to stick to the script.  :lol:  I also want the Tomahawk to complete the series, but ended up ordering another MID last night while taking advantage of the discounts and store credit I had along with the weak JPY for hopups.  If I make the Tomahawk it will basically be bone stock with lower end electronics and silver can to simulate the era (as with my Scorpion) so more price friendly even without big discounts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, the WO is a great looking car for sure.  I've been itching to make a non-Willy one, but got side tracked by all the Kyosho's legendary series which I was very late to start.  I do not own a BH product so want to get atleast their WO.

Thanks on the TurboScorpion.  Next up this week for me is the rere Scorpion which I plan to do box art.. but I've seen some different color scheme ones and they look so good!  But forcing myself to stick to the script.  :lol:  I also want the Tomahawk to complete the series, but ended up ordering another MID last night while taking advantage of the discounts and store credit I had along with the weak JPY for hopups.  If I make the Tomahawk it will basically be bone stock with lower end electronics and silver can to simulate the era (as with my Scorpion) so more price friendly even without big discounts.

Looking forward to seeing your upcoming projects. For sure there will be multiple WO on the line for you. :D

• Like 1