Peter_B

Anybody painted a Hornet with PS-22 or PS-9?

Now that I've got my Hornet built to a rolling chassis my mind has turned to the body.

I have a can of PS-5 so was all set to go with box art black.

Then I happened to watch an episode of Wheeler Dealers where they painted a Mustang in "Highland Green".

"That colour might look good on the Hornet", I found myself thinking.

A bit of a Google and PS-22 looks, to my eye, to be the closest match from the Tamiya range.

Anyone used it for a Hornet?

I’ve got a soft spot for the Hornet as it was my first 1/10 RC car back in 1988.  PS22 appears to be dark enough for the yellow/orange stickers to still pop.

I’m interested in seeing how it turns out!

As greens go, PS22 looks rather dull and drab IMO. PS17 on the other hand looks much more interesting. My cousin had a Hornet thus adorned BITD, and I thought it looked awesome!

Thanks for the ideas.

Looking at some more images online, I'm now thinking PS-9 might actually be a better match. It looks to be a touch darker than PS-22.

31 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Thanks for the ideas.

Looking at some more images online, I'm now thinking PS-9 might actually be a better match. It looks to be a touch darker than PS-22.

just stick to what you know Peter - throwing black paint around. You know it makes sense. Or do I need to find the photos of what happened last time you tried a different colour (Top Force was it?) B):P

52 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

just stick to what you know Peter - throwing black paint around. You know it makes sense. Or do I need to find the photos of what happened last time you tried a different colour (Top Force was it?) B):P

That was not my fault. That tin of paint was dodgy!

Actually I still have that TF body, waiting for that faulty paint to be stripped off.

5 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

That was not my fault. That tin of paint was dodgy!

Actually I still have that TF body, waiting for that faulty paint to be stripped off.

oh no you don't!

unless you are being super rude of course? silly question maybe ;) 

4 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

oh no you don't!

unless you are being super rude of course? silly question maybe ;) 

Yes I do. I messed up 2 shells. The first I thought went wrong because of trying to paint when it was too cold.

That is the one that you rescued with a superb paint scheme.

The second is one where I tried again (same can of paint) when the weather was warmer. That's the one I still have.

Just now, Peter_B said:

Yes I do. I messed up 2 shells. The first I thought went wrong because of trying to paint when it was too cold.

That is the one that you rescued with a superb paint scheme.

The second is one where I tried again (same can of paint) when the weather was warmer. That's the one I still have.

oh yeah...

i do see a theme developing here, anyone else? :P

Just now, jonboy1 said:

oh yeah...

i do see a theme developing here, anyone else? :P

I need to get some paint for another job I'm doing - shall I order some PS9 at the same time? ;)

15 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

on a more serious note, what about PS44 backed with PS23?

I did think of something like that. But on other shells I've done in a similar manner I've found that you have to be careful to get even coverage of the translucent layer or it can turn out patchy.

Especially true when the shell has nooks and crannies, like the end fences of the Hornet wing.

Much easier to just throw one colour at it 😁

2 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

I did think of something like that. But on other shells I've done in a similar manner I've found that you have to be careful to get even coverage of the translucent layer or it can turn out patchy.

Especially true when the shell has nooks and crannies, like the end fences of the Hornet wing.

Much easier to just throw one colour at it 😁

No you're quite right, you'd want to do the green with an airbrush really to make sure you kept it even.

But, you've got an airbrush right.....? :P

12 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

No you're quite right, you'd want to do the green with an airbrush really to make sure you kept it even.

But, you've got an airbrush right.....? :P

Yes but I don't have mad airbrush skills.

And at the moment I don't have anywhere to setup the airbrush away from little helpers!

The struggle is real! :D

• Haha 1

I can't be sure but my second-hand Hornet might have been paint d in that colour you see on box-art Tamiya Landrovers.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130026&id=45667

It hadn't been backed with anything and was flaky by the time I got it, it had seen a fair bit of use.

I have never liked it.

My replacement Hornet shell is black...

8CFA794F-4521-415B-94B4-7EB797BF7262.jpg

I happen to be partial to the two color job I did on mine. 
11805001.jpgThe decals break the colors up nicely. Another color combo that looks good is brown on the bottom and tan up top

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I can't be sure but my second-hand Hornet might have been paint d in that colour you see on box-art Tamiya Landrovers.

It hadn't been backed with anything and was flaky by the time I got it, it had seen a fair bit of use.

I have never liked it.

Thanks for that. Looking at that green, I don't like it either. The green I was after is "blacker".

I think I might just go box art, I know where I am with black paint and have it to hand.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:14 AM, Badcrumble said:

I have never liked it.

Hah! I bought a Hornet a couple of weeks ago, and the colour I have chosen for it is that same one Metal-flake (Lame) Black PS53.

I also have a Comical Hornet I'm planning to spray in a design of Cobalt green PS54 and Irridescent Purple/Green PS46. I think that will clash, er, contract nicely with the yellow/orange stickers.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:45 AM, Shodog said:

I happen to be partial to the two color job I did on mine. 
11805001.jpgThe decals break the colors up nicely. Another color combo that looks good is brown on the bottom and tan up top

Brown on a Hornet = The Brown Hornet (if you were ever a fan of the Cosby Kids. Oh god I'm old)

Your two-tone scheme is exactly what I'm planning except Cobalt green where you have blue and irridescent purple where you have white.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

Hah! I bought a Hornet a couple of weeks ago, and the colour I have chosen for it is that same one Metal-flake (Lame) Black PS53.

I also have a Comical Hornet I'm planning to spray in a design of Cobalt green PS54 and Irridescent Purple/Green PS46. I think that will clash, er, contract nicely with the yellow/orange stickers.

That's a strong combination for the Comical Hornet - looking forward to seeing that!

The PS53 is backed with PS5 as it is only the flakes.

If I ever finish it (story of my Tamiya life), that Hornet has custom silver / white / grey decals, AMPro front suspension and aftermarket dampers all round. It will get some new wheels and tyres too - Egress is they fit (though I'll need to buy some rubber for them).

8 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

If I ever finish it (story of my Tamiya life), that Hornet has custom silver / white / grey decals, AMPro front suspension and aftermarket dampers all round. It will get some new wheels and tyres too - Egress is they fit (though I'll need to buy some rubber for them).

Don't hate me now, but I reckon Super Astute wheels and tyres would look epic with that paint combo (especially if painted the same grey as the decals) I wonder if Egress fronts might look a little too chunky?

• Thanks 1

Egress fronts won't fit without a hex conversion.

Same look but with bearing fitment would be Astute front wheels.

• Thanks 1