Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

RC10 Vintage Worlds Car Build.

I am a Tamiya Nerd through and through. Ive built scores of their models, from a Big Scale F15 Strike Eagle,  1/12 935 that im still building with the scale motorsports kit, small 1/24 Porsches, and of course RC.  My first car was an Astute that I use to race against my school mates RC10s etc.  I wanted to get s rere worlds but I missed the bus.  

Fast fwd and an AMAZING RC10 Edinger build began on here, my intrest was peaked again, AND THEN someone in the general  forum mentioned that the Letgo App here in America and the deals that can be had.  I hopped on an low and behold a gorgeous looking Black Tub RC10 and it looked like it had a stealth. I had it the next day!!! Here is what it looked like in the add. 

I wasn't sure what I had when I picked it up. A few hours of research of scouting the internet pointed that I had a Worlds due to the stealth trans, hard coded shocks, and Black Chassis. 

3sgQCmT.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The chssis was really scarred, as well as the front nose.  ALSO the car already has the black Worlds car front and rear suspensions arms.  The wheels and tires are perfect, and the tramsmision feels like it was just built, will see what it looks like when I tare it down.

Due to the fact that the car had the worlds arms already and they are in near perfect shape Im going to purchase the worlds chassis, shorter rear shock rods, worlds front and rear shock towers, worlds trans brace AND a Turbo Mirage body, ergo making it a worlds car!!!  

To keep withe AE theme Ill purchase my first Reedy Brushless set up.  

Tire and wheels look brand new!!!!!

ryGlv83.jpg

tcYLFFB.jpg

• Like 1

The chssis was really scarred, as well as the front nose. 

LhxJ9g2.jpg

This one will be fun!!!

To recap currently on order: Turbo Mirage Body, Front and rear Worlds Shock towers, worlds trans brace, and the worlds chassis. To be continued!!!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Boomerang_kid said:

Love an RC10, I am restoring a graphite and another 6 gear A stamp gold tub to be used as a runner.

Ooooooh Graphite!!!! They are hard to find these days!!

Ooooooo, look what arrived this morning!!!!  

OeiFoM1.jpg

Mated up with the original beat up front nose (shot it with some black paint just for protection purpose), if you all have a nice one you want to sell :)

vUgwODl.jpg

hzOBQBD.jpg

Going to ream the suspension parts and then re-install, got some nice turn buckles to install as well. Stay tuned and safe!

• Like 3

Looks great. Are you planning to run it or shelf it?  Running it is going to scar your new chassis up

1 hour ago, Shodog said:

Looks great. Are you planning to run it or shelf it?  Running it is going to scar your new chassis up

Going to run it, I'm going to get a chassis protector. 

No shelf queens here. 

I would run it with the old chassis first and save the worlds chassis for when you need it.  Like after a crash. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shodog said:

I would run it with the old chassis first and save the worlds chassis for when you need it.  Like after a crash. 

That's a good idea....

Maybe you could sand back the front nose and repaint to match the new chassis? Oh man this motivating me to get my worlds back out and run it! :D I have a chassis protector on mine but its peeling off at the ends? I raced it on an Astro turf trace with sand on it and it got on the adhesive, might clean it off and get it tacky again with a heat gun.

7 hours ago, Boomerang_kid said:

Maybe you could sand back the front nose and repaint to match the new chassis? Oh man this motivating me to get my worlds back out and run it! :D I have a chassis protector on mine but its peeling off at the ends? I raced it on an Astro turf trace with sand on it and it got on the adhesive, might clean it off and get it tacky again with a heat gun.

I just ordered a bumper cover from shape ways and I'll try some cerekote. Update soon!

So the next part was going to be me using peroxide to make the white nylon parts whiter, HOWEVER apparently peroxide is like TP and impossible to get. Soooooooooooo, the parts will stay as white as they are and to be honest they look that close to being brand new so, meh!!!

When I blew the car apart it was really difficult to remove the hinge pins, but they werent bent, reeming was needed!!!!

I forgot I had to reem the bulkheads, here you go less than ideal reeming once installed, but I was careful!!! 

j3lXz96.jpg

Reemed the Arms as well after cleaning them up.

Tv0TdH4.jpg

Back at home!!!!!!

Reunited again!!!!

gq3xuBH.jpg

Looking like a RC10 again!!!! 

• Like 7

On 3/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, Shodog said:

Just ordered another worlds chassis 😁 wish I could find nose plates that easily

I just realized that restoring this car is how it used to be restoring Tamiya's. I remember waiting two years to win an auction for an Avante driver, now they are everywhere. I love the Rere but they have taken a little of the fun out of it .

The RC10 is the way the Tamiya Hobby used to be. The nose plates, chassis tubes, and wire wing mounts are like unicorn poop. I just found a wing mount, super stoked!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GTodd said:

I just realized that restoring this car is how it used to be restoring Tamiya's. I remember waiting two years to win an auction for an Avante driver, now they are everywhere. I love the Rere but they have taken a little of the fun out of it .

The RC10 is the way the Tamiya Hobby used to be. The nose plates, chassis tubes, and wire wing mounts are like unicorn poop. I just found a wing mount, super stoked!!!!

That is so true, older RC10 parts are getting scarce. When they become available on ebay, they end up going for crazy money.$$$$$ I was trying to find ball studs and diff outdrives, next to impossible.

following this as, despite having Tamiya ball diff grease running through my veins (maybe I should mention that to my doctor as a possible reason for my high blood pressure and cholesterol levels?) the RC10 is the one that keeps tugging at my heart and wallet strings. I'll get one sooner or later, but must finish off some other projects first (I'm sooo waiting for @Peter_B to chime in with some rude comment here :P) so in the meantime I'll get my fix watching these cool restos ;) 

10 hours ago, GTodd said:

It can still happen with Tamiya sometimes - I totally by fluke picked a NOS Madcap chassis yesterday! Really shouldn't have as we've just been told we're being furlouged to 4 days a week on 80% pay until June, but needs must chaps, needs must! :P

• Like 2

@jonboy1 I'm hurt :wacko: as if I would have a sly dig! That's not like me at all.

I think I'll just go and sit quietly next to my own lovely RC10 Team Car (once I've found it amongst the pile of other stuff waiting to be done - said it before you :P)

• Haha 1

Looking good!! And I'm glad I contributed to inspire your resto project :) it will be very interesting to check out each other's thread while in the process.

Good job also with sorting out the rare bits, like the wing mount. That's commitment, especially in these uncertain times. For now I think I'm going wingless -the easy solution as the car came without it- then once finished I'll see if I can get away with it depending on how it looks :ph34r:

Enjoy your build!!

8 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Looking good!! And I'm glad I contributed to inspire your resto project :) it will be very interesting to check out each other's thread while in the process.

Good job also with sorting out the rare bits, like the wing mount. That's commitment, especially in these uncertain times. For now I think I'm going wingless -the easy solution as the car came without it- then once finished I'll see if I can get away with it depending on how it looks :ph34r:

Enjoy your build!!

So the wing mount was a B2/3.  It's just bent more in. Took the V bend out dropped right in!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 7:39 PM, GTodd said:

Tv0TdH4.jpg

Invest a few bucks in a 3mm reamer. You will never regret it. Drillers are so... not round : )

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Invest a few bucks in a 3mm reamer. You will never regret it. Drillers are so... not round : )

Sage advice except the pins are 1/8”. 3mm will make them sloppy. 

1 hour ago, Shodog said:

Sage advice except the pins are 1/8”. 3mm will make them sloppy. 

So then get a 1/8" one :D The point is not the diameter, its the use of a reamer instead of a driller, isn`t it?

1 hour ago, Collin said:

So then get a 1/8" one :D The point is not the diameter, its the use of a reamer instead of a driller, isn`t it

Great advise!!! Its just perfect now, but glad to know I couldve screwed it up! Reamer ordered!

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

Great advise!!! Its just perfect now, but glad to know I couldve screwed it up! Reamer ordered!

I always need to prepair the drills for the 3d printed arms. At the begin I did it also with the driller, but once it took a bit of the wrong way and the whole was through the sidewall.  Reamer 4 life :D