Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Paint or parts without a purpose

I have a can of TS19 Metallic Blue sitting here in front of me and I have no idea why. Ever buy paint or parts when putting together an order, have them sit around for awhile, and then forget what you planned to do with them? Frequently when putting together a Tower Hobbies order, I would add paint to the order in an attempt to reach certain amounts for discounts. The problem being, I might not get around to painting for another year yet. So, now I have this TS19. I'm gathering up bodies I need to paint for my last week of unpaid leave before putting myself and family at risk and returning to my greedy employer. I have a Bruiser body and a Super Clod body to paint and neither use TS19. In fact, the only vehicle I own that seems to use it is my Bullhead and I'm not repainting that. Anybody know how close TS19 Metallic Blue and TS50 Blue Mica are?:lol: I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

• Like 2

I'm sure I have no end of random parts lying around that I can't remember what I bought them for.  I had a sort-thru of all my collection a couple of years ago and found a couple of cars I didn't even know I had.  I still can't remember how many CC01s I have.  I know there's at least one NIB although it might be missing a few chassis parts that I raided for a used purchase; I think there might be another NIB too although I can't remember for sure.  I think I bought it when the Pajero MTWs were quite cheap.  But I know I have an unpainted Paj body somewhere which suggests I might have build the chassis.  I know I have a new-built chassis sitting in the storage area but I can't remember why I built it.  It's probably the chassis that should live under the unpainted Paj body.

Paint-wise, I have more tins of half-empty paint than I know what to do with.  I store all my tins on their side (to stop the pigment pooling at the bottom) but the unopened tins have safety stickers on the lids so I can't tell if they're TS or PS.  Sometimes I see a part-used tin which is exactly what I want to finish a project, but I pull it off the shelf to find it was either put away 99% empty or (more likely) has lost its pressure over several years of sitting on the shelf after being part-used.

I have a drawer full of "scale bits" that I have kept from various sources.  I tell myself I'll use them to decorate my scale builds, but I never do.  I told myself I'd 3D print more scale bits once I had my printer set up, but I haven't done that either.  It means having to paint small parts which is just not me.  Also almost always means having to fight with the printer to get a smooth, non-warped print that's good enough to paint and won't crack as soon as it looks at a trail.

I've had chassis, axle and transmission combos that I've bought for various projects, but away, reassembled into something different, driven once, identified an issue and put back on the shelf for years, cannibalised for other projects...  My Car Database software was supposed to help keep all this organised but I periodically take the software apart for some update and don't get it working again in time to keep it up to date.  Also the lack of a public web / mobile version means I can only do my updates while physically in front of my personal laptop - and when I'm in front of my personal laptop I'd rather be working on music, writing stories or playing games.  That's why my showroom is years out of date and my build threads never get finished - I just don't enjoy the painful and time-consuming process of uploading, documenting and posting.  Unlike threads like this - years of touch-typing means I can write way more words than necessary in less than the time it takes to make a coffee.  From the tea urn.  Instant, black, no sugar.

Yeah, I'm sure I've got parts trees that I bought with specific ideas in mind which ended up in the generic parts tubs and never got used.

If the weather ever warms up, and if I get bored with all the other little things I can do while on lockdown, and if I can open my workshop roller door and spill out onto the lane for a day without it being declared a public health hazard, I'll make a video of pulling out, documenting and organising all my stuff.  I'll probably never upload it, but it's the thought that counts.

• Like 2

Where do I start?

No really, where do I start... I have so many parts and projects I cannot remember why I started or what I was planning.

• Like 2

I had a big clear out a few months ago and sold a whole load of projects and used parts that i had been hoarding for no reason. Thing is though, now i am sat at home working on the resto's and other projects because of this virus crap, i am now finding i need quite a lot of the stuff i sold...:angry:

So it goes...

J

• Like 1

Oh, man. So many parts without a purpose. Mostly because for a while I was buying stuff in lots, so I ended up with whatever random parts happened to be included with the deal. Usually this was half a dozen parts for cars I don't own (and sometimes couldn't even idenfity) but not the ONE crucial and expensive part that was missing/broken on one of the cars...

I have also placed things on Tower Hobbies wish lists that have sat there for so long that they became discontinued. When this happens, they send you an email telling you it's no longer available. It's fun trying to remember why on Earth you wanted that random thing to begin with.

• Like 3

All my vintage NIB have each period hop up because that’s how I’ll eventually build them when I retire 

In the meantime, it’s a beautiful load of space (and cash) consumed without purpose 🙄

It’s then made worse by hunting down all the right period r/c sets ... which take up just as much space as the kits when NIB

The vintage runners then have NIP spares (for stuff that always breaks) but given they only stretch their legs on dry days a few times a year that’s prob another 2 boxes of space that only makes sense in my head ...

It took a frustrating Summer persevering with Iwata’s finest before admitting I’m truly talentless at wide cover paint - so no rattle can hoard ... - but my detail work will hopefully hold up as long as my eyes do 😂

As will the stash of perspex boxes hosting a rabbit warren of Tamiya / Games Workshop paint pots, brushes, tapes, thinners and Lord only knows how many other ‘good ideas’ at the time ...

Brilliant question as ever @Saito2 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Banzai was a thing I ordered huge amounts of extra bits that were dirt cheap. I loaded up what I “needed” and then made up to the top of the shipping weight with hop ups. I still have WW2 wheels and tyres coming out my ears from a shipment I thought was lost and then re ordered. It turned up 2 days after the replacements.

Pity they stopped selling Tamiya, it took a little sparkle out of the hobby paying 5 times the amount for small parts

When I have parts without a purpose it isnt too long before I find a purpose that then costs about a 1000% more than the original part did.

For instance, about 18 months ago I bought an alloy motor mount for my porsche 934 Ta02 kit but when I opened the kit it already had the motor mount in it. So I had an alloy motor mount sitting without purpose....all bored and looking sad for itself etc.

Obviously the answer was to buy a Top Force.

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Superluminal said:

When I have parts without a purpose it isnt too long before I find a purpose that then costs about a 1000% more than the original part did.

For instance, about 18 months ago I bought an alloy motor mount for my porsche 934 Ta02 kit but when I opened the kit it already had the motor mount in it. So I had an alloy motor mount sitting without purpose....all bored and looking sad for itself etc.

Obviously the answer was to buy a Top Force.

I went down this same path. I was looking at the Exotek RS7 conversion for my TA07, thinking I could build a second TA07 with the leftovers...it quickly became cheaper to buy another TA07Pro kit than the bits I needed. Glad I went through that exercise before ordering the RS7...

Similar to @Saito2, sometimes I'd add something from Tower's bargain bin to have enough for the next coupon code.  I still have a set of four Tower Terror monster truck shocks, various bits of Associated battery tray foam, and other things lying around...

Might be fun to lay out all the misfit stuff we have as a club, and see if we can coordinate a community build around it...

• Like 1

On 30 March 2020 at 11:43 PM, Saito2 said:

Anybody know how close TS19 Metallic Blue and TS50 Blue Mica are?:lol: I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

nowhere close, think we used to call mica blue "Telefonica Blue" vs metallic blue "WRX blue"

there's no PS equivalent for TS50 last time I rattled one of those

I seem to have a habit of buying bodies and the required paint and then deciding to sell the unpainted body leaving me with loads of paint I do not need.