Evilive99

Battery for LEDs... AAA, AA, something else?

Hi, I want to put some LEDs on my car but don’t want to attach it to the car hardware. I see they have 3 or 4x AA battery packs that can power the little LED strips.  These are pretty bulky for a tiny car.  Is there a small rechargeable battery I can use that is safe to plug right Into this that I can then tape to the car?  I think most LED kits are 5 volt.  It can be a small battery I am just running lights off of it.

something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTPOWER-WHITE-LED-LIGHT-STRIP-WITH-12-FLASHING-MODES-REMOTE-CAR-TRUCK-QUAD-RC/273347556886

thank you!

There are many small Li-on/Li-po/Li-Fe batteries for mini/micro helis/drones that are available and can power those LEDs.

If you fit a small li-po you'll also have to fit a cut-off or alarm, or note how much its voltage drops during a typical run so you can calculate how often you'll need to recharge it to prevent it going under-voltage.  Less of an issue if you use li-ion.

Any reason why you don't want to connect it to the Rx?  LED current draw is typically very low (won't affect your runtimes much, probably less than carrying the additional weight of a second battery) and your Rx should have a constant output voltage from the BEC, so you don't have to worry about voltage drop, which might be an issue running a smaller battery just for the LEDs, depending on what type of LED controller you use.  This might not be an issue if you're using an LED kit with a controller (it might operate over a range of voltages) but if you're making your own lights up from discrete components you'll want a constant input voltage in order to calculate the resistor values.

• Like 1

I have some toy grade RC cars I wanted to add led lights to.  I am not sure if they will have an areA to plug the wires directly in.

myTrickRC makes some light kits that can be powered separately by a 9V battery.