rwordenjr

Hitec No Love?

I know Futaba, Sanwa and Spektrum are at the top of the transmitter/receiver market but didn't Hitec used to have more of a presence ? Now they're almost non existent as they only  have one transmitter out that's hard to find and not the cheapest.

HiTec makes great servos...  I have a pair of them in a build currently and I'm pretty impressed with how tight/slop-free they are.  They're not the least expensive, but they are good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

HiTec makes great servos...  I have a pair of them in a build currently and I'm pretty impressed with how tight/slop-free they are.  They're not the least expensive, but they are good.

Nice, I want to pair a tx/rx with one of their servos but they got virtually no tx game

I use a Hitec Lynx for my racing, fantastic radio comparable to others that are double the price, receivers are cheap as chips too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

I use a Hitec Lynx for my racing, fantastic radio comparable to others that are double the price, receivers are cheap as chips too

That thing is funky looking lol. Hard to find too. Wish Hitec made more radios :(

• Like 1

Honestly, from me... Nope. No love for Hitec. I can't speak for their radios, but I bought one of their high-torque servos for a racing Clod many years ago, and it was DOA. Took it back to the hobby shop, they exchanged it, and the replacement stopped working after a month. It just quit. Gears were fine, but it just lost power.

It may have just been a run of particularly bad luck, but I wasn't going to chance it again. I put a Futaba S3305 in the Clod, and never had an issue. (In fact, the Clod is long gone, but I still have and use the servo.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

That thing is funky looking lol. Hard to find too. Wish Hitec made more radios :(

But it has a great personality 😂.

Seriously though yeah it’s a bit unusual looking, but is very balanced in your hands and functions very well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

But it has a great personality 😂.

Seriously though yeah it’s a bit unusual looking, but is very balanced in your hands and functions very well

I actually like the look of it now after looking at for a few hours. No drop down though lol. I would get it if I could find one in stock and a little cheaper. I wonder how compares to a Sanwa or futaba. I’m not a racer either so maybe a little overkill for me. I’m in the market for a second radio. My current is the futaba 3pv. I want to be able to run some of my cars together instead of only at once like now 

7 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I actually like the look of it now after looking at for a few hours. No drop down though lol. I would get it if I could find one in stock and a little cheaper. I wonder how compares to a Sanwa or futaba. I’m not a racer either so maybe a little overkill for me. I’m in the market for a second radio. My current is the futaba 3pv. I want to be able to run some of my cars together instead of only at once like now 

It does come with a drop down. Yeah I’m used to how it looks so don’t even really think about it anymore. Like I said it’s performance and function compares to radios twice it’s price by Sana’a, Futaba and co.

23 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

It does come with a drop down. Yeah I’m used to how it looks so don’t even really think about it anymore. Like I said it’s performance and function compares to radios twice it’s price by Sana’a, Futaba and co.

oh yea? im interested in getting one now :lol: you use Hitec servo too?

1 minute ago, rwordenjr said:

oh yea? im interested in getting one now :lol: you use Hitec servo too?

My preferred servo’s are Xpert. I have used Hitec before but find the Xpert’s to be absolutely fantastic and very efficient

8 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

My preferred servo’s are Xpert. I have used Hitec before but find the Xpert’s to be absolutely fantastic and very efficient

oh okay nice. you run the nova fox with the Hitec radio?

No I have a Spektrum DX3R (my old race radio) that I use on my runners. I keep the Hitec for racing only 1/8 Nitro and 1/10 electric

46 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

No I have a Spektrum DX3R (my old race radio) that I use on my runners. I keep the Hitec for racing only 1/8 Nitro and 1/10 electric

sweet, Hitec one might overkill for me then. I don't race lol

8 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

They seem to march to the beat of their own drum when it comes to the design. 

QUdAiv0.jpg

Made me think of Star Trek phaser somehow.  

GG4epza.jpg

Old AM Lynx was funky looking too, but I kinda liked it.  I have a good impression of this radio (old as it is)  

I have a high torque servo in Wild Willy 2.  It functioned(s) well.  But I forced a 25 spline servo horn to Hitec's 24(?) spine, so I kinda ruined it.  I seem to remember having to do something about the wiring too.  The pin order was different back then or something... I don't know if that's still the case.  

hvVGk7E.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Juggular said:

They seem to march to the beat of their own drum when it comes to the design. 

QUdAiv0.jpg

Made me think of Star Trek phaser somehow.  

GG4epza.jpg

Old AM Lynx was funky looking too, but I kinda liked it.  I have a good impression of this radio (old as it is)  

I have a high torque servo in Wild Willy 2.  It functioned(s) well.  But I forced a 25 spline servo horn to Hitec's 24(?) spine, so I kinda ruined it.  I seem to remember having to do something about the wiring too.  The pin order was different back then or something... I don't know if that's still the case.  

hvVGk7E.jpg

After reviewing, I actually like the look of the lynx 4 and am trying to get one lol. As for the servos, what kind of spline is that? Tamiya kits come with futaba/jr but do they come with ones that fit the Hitec servos? 

I've never been much of a fan of Hitec servos. The mid-range servos are too expensive for the spec and durability, and they use that stupid 24t spline. The high-end servos are really expensive, and don't perform as well as similarly priced servos from Futaba, Savox, Sanwa, etc.

The chargers are ok, but lack high power balancing circuits. Perfectly adequate for 2S/3S use, though, and very reliable and easy to use.

24 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

I've never been much of a fan of Hitec servos. The mid-range servos are too expensive for the spec and durability, and they use that stupid 24t spline. The high-end servos are really expensive, and don't perform as well as similarly priced servos from Futaba, Savox, Sanwa, etc.

The chargers are ok, but lack high power balancing circuits. Perfectly adequate for 2S/3S use, though, and very reliable and easy to use.

Do you know if most tamiya kits come with the hitec servo compatible spline? I think they come with Futaba/Tamiya and Sanwa/Acoms. 

4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Do you know if most tamiya kits come with the hitec servo compatible spline? I think they come with Futaba/Tamiya and Sanwa/Acoms. 

The high torque servo savers don't come with a 24t. I'm not positive, but I don't think that the kits do, either.

28 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

The high torque servo savers don't come with a 24t. I'm not positive, but I don't think that the kits do, either.

okay thanks! Futaba certainly seems to be the easiest for support and availability. 

53 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

Yep, that seemed like a suicide when I was installing it on Wild Willy 2.  Why make it difficult to use?  "Well, Futaba is a competitor, so we won't adapt 25T. Never!!"  Well, Tamiya uses 25t too.  

That was shooting themselves in the foot, in my opinion.  (unless there was a patent for 25t, which I doubt)  

Work for your consumers, not your pride!  

One less competitor means higher price for us... so I'm sad to learn that Hitec isn't making radios.  

6 hours ago, Juggular said:

Yep, that seemed like a suicide when I was installing it on Wild Willy 2.  Why make it difficult to use?  "Well, Futaba is a competitor, so we won't adapt 25T. Never!!"  Well, Tamiya uses 25t too.  

That was shooting themselves in the foot, in my opinion.  (unless there was a patent for 25t, which I doubt)  

Work for your consumers, not your pride!  

One less competitor means higher price for us... so I'm sad to learn that Hitec isn't making radios.  

They are restocking the lynx 4s here in the coming months for the last time and then that’s it. Their rep told me their radio sales are pretty much non existent nowadays. I’m a fan of having some stuff that not everyone else has (Everyone Mostly got futaba, Spektrum, or Sanwa) so that’s why I was drawn to Hitec for radio options 

• Haha 1