Kalameja

Sand Scorcher and Sand Blaster Tires with one Piece Aluminum Wheels

Hello Again! 

New Sand Scorcher is coming along fantastically. So glad to get this build together. I have an issue with finding the right rear wheel hubs to run the Sand Blaster tires with a one piece aluminum wheel. All of the adaptors I have found are too thick and don't allow the lock nut for the axle to grab all of the threads to keep the wheel on. Suggestions for the correct fit? 

IMG-9448.jpg

Thanks but it's not the nut that is too deep. I can get a lock nut on. The problem is that it won't bottom out to the end of the threads on the axle. So the nut eventually will be spun off by the wheel while running it. 

I need a shallow version of one of these that will work with the 5 star coupling on the aluminum wheel. Both of these are too deep. Or i need a slightly longer axle to accommodate. 

IMG-9450.jpg

Try one of these.  I used them to get more length.  I have not tried to run them but maybe with the washer and even a little threadlock, they might work.  They say fromt, but will work on the back

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-WHEEL-AXLE-ADAPTER-Tamiya-Blackfoot-to-Futaba-FX10-Buggy-RC-Team-CRP-1565/352999084969?hash=item52306293a9:g:krcAAOxyVaBSxMsh:sc:USPSFirstClass!92122!US!-1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kalameja said:

These will work you! Yuo might need to open up the hole in the wheel just a bit bigger but they will work. Different application but mounting is relevant to what you are trying to accomplish! 

Jay

003.JPG

I'll give them a try for sure. Are there not longer axles out there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalameja said:

I'll give them a try for sure. Are there not longer axles out there?

It is really hit and miss. I have personally tried to find longer axles for several projects over the years and this nut sleeve was the best option. Now if you knew someone with a milling machine (a machinist) that could be a different story and they could whip a set up for you. Would love to see what they look like on the model when you are done!

Jay

I'll post for sure when done. In the meantime.... I'll be asking around for who in my network of friends knows a machinist. If I could even find someone that could machine down the inside of the aluminum hub (the 5 starred he part) by a 1/4 inch, that would suffice and I could use the original axles and lock nuts. 

• Like 1

You could if you are handy with a drill is slightly counterbore the wheel centre by the 3-4mm required to get the standard fixing nuts on. Being aluminium you could probably cut the metal just by twisting the drill bit between your fingers. Would take seconds to do on a lathe but worth a try by hand 🙂

• Like 1

Interesting dilema. I have had the total reverse, I think with almost identical wheels. I always needed a thicker spacer to get the wheels to stick out further. This was especially true on the ORV chassis.