Chuck Norris

HotShot with grinding noise.

Chuck here. That's right Chuck Norris. So, in between movies I like to dust off my RC cars to relax. My HotShot however is not playing nice - so before it's given some Chuck Norris justice, I thought to turn to the fine people of the Tamiya forum for help and guidance. Attached is a quick video with the noise. What the badword is it people? 

Welcome to the club

It could be the pinion as they can suffer from wear also the metal diff can wear and can slip it dose sound gear related.  It could be the plastic gears if they are marked up because the pinion is chewing the drive gear. Hope this helps.:)

• Thanks 1

It does sound plastic gear and/or pinion related. The metal diff gears make more of a popping noise when the side gears skip over the spider gears (plus the Hotshot series is usually immune to this issue). Pull the motor out and check for pinion wear and tightness on the motor shaft. Also make sure the pinion was properly spaced on the shaft so it has full contact with the drive gear. You can also observe the condition of the drive gear with the motor out. If all looks well up to that point, you're probably going into the gear boxes to find the issue. You could also remove the prop shaft and re-try the test, which would rule out the front gear box. Hope this helps. If I had to totally guess, the issue sounds like its in the rear gearbox, but don't hold me to it ;).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Doc Hollywood said:

Welcome to the club

It could be the pinion as they can suffer from wear also the metal diff can wear and can slip it dose sound gear related.  It could be the plastic gears if they are marked up because the pinion is chewing the drive gear. Hope this helps.:)

Thank's Doc, I will check this out. much appreciated :)

10 hours ago, Saito2 said:

It does sound plastic gear and/or pinion related. The metal diff gears make more of a popping noise when the side gears skip over the spider gears (plus the Hotshot series is usually immune to this issue). Pull the motor out and check for pinion wear and tightness on the motor shaft. Also make sure the pinion was properly spaced on the shaft so it has full contact with the drive gear. You can also observe the condition of the drive gear with the motor out. If all looks well up to that point, you're probably going into the gear boxes to find the issue. You could also remove the prop shaft and re-try the test, which would rule out the front gear box. Hope this helps. If I had to totally guess, the issue sounds like its in the rear gearbox, but don't hold me to it ;).

Hi Saito2, that's really good advice. I'll check that out. Cheers 

• Like 1