Jonathon Gillham

HW1060 shutting down

31 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

100% confirmed it was the air temperature outside. We've had warmer weather here lately and ever since it has been over 40F there hasn't been a single hiccup.

Apparently the HW1060s aren't good for cold weather. The Traxxas XL-5 has worked perfectly fine the whole time in the same weather with the same batteries.

That's interesting. Probably because the Traxxas ESC does not have a low voltage cutoff. I'm guessing it is extremely cold where you are for the battery temperature to drop so low that the voltage is significantly affected. Normally running the car will warm up the pack, but perhaps not enough to counter the LVC in your case.

Well after running ok for a few runs mine has died again. Cutting out the throtyle, but still powering the steering, as if tje low volt has tripped, but the battery is fully charged. Tried different batteries, switching to the nimh jumper, nothing works. I think there was just a bad batch of these. I'm going to buy something else. 

I'm slightly concerned that mine is exhibiting this behaviour. Dark impact, sport tuned motor, nimh battery fwiw. I noticed on the first proper run it went a bit slow before going back to normal, and this afternoon while messing about with some new tyres in on the patio/lawn it kept dropping to half speed. I can't rule out a low battery but I'm pretty sure I haven't run it much since charging it. I guess the best thing to do will be make sure its charged right up and give it a good hoon around and see if it starts playing up. 

These escs seem to have a great reputation, which is why I got one, I'd really like to stick with them as they seem a lot less hassle than the tble2 I've got in my other cars.

Right, i'm done. Dunno if it's the v2 team powers motor (they aren't well thought of) but it's running a relatively short geared FF01 run occasionally, on a bunch of different batteries, i have had a genuine and knock off 1060 die. I can't be bothered anymore. Going to get an mtroniks esc. More money, but there's something odd going on here. 

• Like 1

Almost pulled the trigger on a HW esc & motor combo but glad I read this thread first. I'm still skeptical of their reliability so might just do a Castle combo for a little more $$. 

9 hours ago, Willsls1 said:

Almost pulled the trigger on a HW esc & motor combo but glad I read this thread first. I'm still skeptical of their reliability so might just do a Castle combo for a little more $$. 

If the combo you are looking at is brushless then don't worry. I have Hobbywing brushless ESCs in a buggy, a stadium truck and my two race cars and thry are great. Its just the 1060 that seems a little flakey right now. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2021 at 8:55 PM, Toad16v said:

I'm slightly concerned that mine is exhibiting this behaviour. Dark impact, sport tuned motor, nimh battery fwiw. I noticed on the first proper run it went a bit slow before going back to normal, and this afternoon while messing about with some new tyres in on the patio/lawn it kept dropping to half speed. I can't rule out a low battery but I'm pretty sure I haven't run it much since charging it. I guess the best thing to do will be make sure its charged right up and give it a good hoon around and see if it starts playing up. 

These escs seem to have a great reputation, which is why I got one, I'd really like to stick with them as they seem a lot less hassle than the tble2 I've got in my other cars.

Thats exactly what has happened to 3 of the ones I've had.  They've cut to about half speed on a full battery with motors way above the alleged 12 turn limit. I think i'm almost at the point of giving up with them now, or going down the additional capacitor route. 

Just to loop back on this, i had one more roll of the dice with a 1060 and it started doing the weird half throttle thing again. But then i read the other thread on here about someone also having 1060 trouble with a Super Stock motor, and finding it was the motor. Well i have just found the same thing. It was my Cup Racer motor from Team Powers that was causing all the trouble. This morning i soldered up my "failed" 1060 to my Torque Tuned motor i have been racing in my TT01E, put it in my FF01 and i have just run a completely trouble free 20 mins of lots of full throttle running and big braking. So, i guess the moral of the story is, check your motors. And at least i know have another working 1060!

• Like 2

And just to prove it was DEFINITELY a dodgy motor, i spotted my old old 1060 in the garage bin yesterday, so i dug it out and soldered some plugs onto it. Then temporarily strapped it to my FF01 and just run it trouble free for 20 minutes in lipo mode. 

• Like 2