yogi-bear

Lunchbox, Midnight Pumpkin, what else shares the same chassis?

The question is: what models share the same chassis at the Lunchbox and Midnight Pumpkin? I think the Montero(?) does, but is there anything else?

Also the chrome Midnight Pumpkin, what's the best way to protect the finish? Has anyone ever spray lacquered it?

The reason I ask, I am slowly pulling out my rc stuff that I have collected over the last 10 years or so and trying to organise it. Today's job was to sort my Lunchbox and Hornet parts, which I'd kinda lumped together as they share some of the same parts.

So this is what I have:

There is one complete Grasshopper

A damage Grasshopper body which I will attempt to repair, and plus I have the parts for a rolling chassis.

There are 2 complete Hornets (1 original and one Re Re) and enough parts to make 1 more complete car and 1 to just make a complete chassis which I might revert one back to a Sand Scorcher body onto the hornet chassis. The chassis has been modified anyway.

2 complete lunchbox chassis, one will be for a chrome Midnight Pumpkin body I got for Christmas,  I think around 2012. And over the years I collected bits and pieces to make a chassis to go with it, and pretty much ended with this :blink:

1 lunchbox chassis which I think I can make from the leftover hornet parts.

So that means I have two lunchbox rolling chassis that will need bodies for. I'm hoping for something different, so send me you suggestions!

Now for the pics, these are all the parts I got together.

Lunchbox-Hornet-Parts-2.jpg

Midnight Pumpkin body, I want to build and drive but I don't want to scratch it:rolleyes: Any suggestion on maybe protecting it with a spray lacquer or other ideas?

Lunchbox-Hornet-Parts-3.jpg

And since I'll have plenty of time, I might as well have a go at fixing this. Once I weld what is there back together, its only one rear corner that is missing. 

Lunchbox-Hornet-Parts-1.jpg

The Unimog 406 was also released on this chassis. It is moulded in polycarbonate, so would make for a robust and lightweight runner shell.

Kamtec also make a wide variety of shells in a similar wheelbase which can be adapted to fit. How about a monster Morris Minor for example?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The Unimog 406 was also released on this chassis. It is moulded in polycarbonate, so would make for a robust and lightweight runner shell. 

hmm, that's good to know thanks, off to eBay now and seem what a body costs :D

The original 58044 Pajero also had a version of the MP/ LB tub but with a different front body mount . I built an original style 58044 Pajero using a re-re LB tub and made some custom front mounts . Good luck with your projects - the GH body looks like a nice challenge , can't wait to see the result :) . Best to test out the clear coat on something similar first before hitting the chrome MP body - maybe an old chrome wheel ?

• Like 1

Be careful trying to lacquer chrome. It has a nasty habit if clouding it. I believe it has something to do with light bouncing back from lacquer? Humbrol  make a water based gloss finish that can be used on plastic canopies. Can’t remember what it’s called. If I get a chance when I get home I’ll have look

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

The original 58044 Pajero also had a version of the MP/ LB tub but with a different front body mount . I built an original style 58044 Pajero using a re-re LB tub and made some custom front mounts .

thanks, that's good to know, although a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a lot of Montero bodies forsale. Body posts I should be able to fabricate. I do like the UniMog idea from @TurnipJF though. 

10 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Good luck with your projects - the GH body looks like a nice challenge , can't wait to see the result :) . Best to test out the clear coat on something similar first before hitting the chrome MP body - maybe an old chrome wheel ?

I've got two options for repairing the body, I have lots of HIPS (or plasticard) so I could probably fabricate something as its all pretty much straight panel work. I also managed to find a 3D model of a Grasshopper, so I could print the missing section. Although that does feel like cheating a little. Since I have the time, I might try fabrication first.

I do have some spare chrome wheels I can paint up, testing is always a good idea!

9 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Be careful trying to lacquer chrome. It has a nasty habit if clouding it. I believe it has something to do with light bouncing back from lacquer? Humbrol  make a water based gloss finish that can be used on plastic canopies. Can’t remember what it’s called. If I get a chance when I get home I’ll have look

Thanks, that's good to know too, gives me something I can search for. I've got some chrome sprue and spare chrome wheels I can test on.

The Unimog body on the CW01 is good fun, I have one. The body looks awesome sitting really high on the chassis & it bounces about & always gets admired! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, J@mes said:

The Unimog body on the CW01 is good fun, I have one. The body looks awesome sitting really high on the chassis & it bounces about & always gets admired! 

yeah, they do look good, just need to decide if I want to pay $80 AUD for a body (cheapest I have found so far), or 3D print something, but that will take me ages to get to.