Ginge101

Ford focus wrc 2wd 2003. Advice please.

So, with lockdown here in the UK I decided to sort out my garage, where I came upon my old RC car. It was put aside a few years ago due to it gaining a mind of its own and with the intention of fixing it. Well, now seems a good time to try!

I have replaced the batteries in the car and the controller and they are fully charged. But whenever we use the throttle it will stay on once released. Adjustment of the trim will stop this until you press the throttle again. So what I'm asking here is; is it fixable (2003 model) and is it worth fixing?

Thanks for your time.

Is it battery or nitro? 

Could get the focus 03 with either. 

If it's battery has it got a mechanical speed controller? Is the servo self centering? 

Need a bit more info and a picture would help too👍

Hi Event.

Thanks for responding.

It's is a battery one.

Where would I find the mechanical speed controller and what is its purpose, other than the obvious.

Also where is the servo and how would I know if it's centering?

Sorry for what may be simple questions but I'm a novice at this.

And to think I've been contemplating buying a new kit to build!!!

IMG_20200403_112239.jpg

IMG_20200403_112407.jpg

IMG_20200403_113340.jpg

That is a toy grade RC, one of the quick drives IIRC.

That will be why it doesn't have a mechanical speed controller, receiver or obvious servo - it doesn't have one! This makes fixing it harder, because unlike hobby grade RC's it's not really designed to be worked on or fixed. 

Your options are likely to try and replace the whole board with a doner car from eBay etc or to fit the car out with hobby grade radio gear & electronics. Depending on how precious this car is to you, it might be a bit easier to relegate it to the shelf or sell it and use that money to buy a hobby grade kit. 

48 minutes ago, Ginge101 said:

Sorry Svenb, didn't notice predicted text. Event!?

No worries 😅

Completely agree with @Hobgoblin

Leave it on the shelf. 

I don't know much about the quick drives but you might be able to use the body on a different chassis!? 

Thanks hobgoblin and svenb.

I'm not precious about this car so I won't be spending any further time on it.

My son wants a car that he can do jumps/off-road with so he would never have been happy anyway, I guess!

Looks like I will be spending some time researching what to get and how to know the difference between hobby grade and a toy!

Thanks for your time and advice.

• Like 1

QD models, while unlikely to ever rival the performance of a hobby grade car, can nonetheless be rather fun to upgrade. I suspect that if you whip the cover off the steering gubbins, you'll find a black box with 5 wires gong to it that is the same size and shape as a hobby grade steering servo. You will also find that the front wheels and rear axle pod  contain 1150 size plastic bushings that can be upgraded to bearings for better performance and runtime. The stock PCB can be removed to leave a clear deck perfect for mounting a hobby grade receiver and ESC, the motor can be replaced with a small brushless unit, and a soft case LiPo can fit where the stock 8-cell NiMH battery goes. You'll even find that hobby grade rally tyres will fit the stock wheels!