Botans

Hello! new and need suggestions (Avante - Thundershot - Terra Scorcher - Hotshot)

Hi!
I've been lurking during the past 2 years on and off.. growing up with Tamiyas, I'm feeling nostalgic and wanted to get into building RC again.
Back in the days, I don't have enough money to buy many kits, but I saved up enough allowances and gifts, etc for 1 kit plus radio-servo-charger-battery.
heading to the hobby store that day was one of the best day of my life.

During the buying process, I was so undecided on which one to get(too excited), mom had to leave me at the Hobby shop for the day..
at the end, I chose.. the Super Sabre - it was the newest and I liked the stance, the modern look, etc.. 
Kyosho Optima was a bit out of the range.. so while it was suggested by the shop, it's out of the question.

I never regret it.. I build it from scratch, all standard equipment and had a blast for several years.. never get into racing either.. no $.

Now.. I'm again.. undecided on Avante - Thundershot - Terra Scorcher - Hotshot

back then, I don't want Hotshot as there are only 2 shocks.. and the body might be hard to clean..
Thundershot is similar to the hotshot line - so I liked it

My main concerns are: what are the build experience for Avante and Terra Scorcher? is it better than the Shots line? or worse?
in terms of difficulties, I'm very handy and don't foresee any issues..
I just don't want to regret the build that is too simple.. what I'm looking for a kit that build the whole thing from the drivetrain and around it.. just like the shot series... quite involved but rewarding build experience.

As for the other items I need like servo, radio, bushings, place to buy on COVID-19 era(I'm in PA, US), I'll browse the other posts.. (or if any of you would give suggestions, that would be great too!)

This will be an occasional use vehicle...sitting pretty at the shelf most of the time but it'll run on a nice day.

Thanks and I'm glad to have found this forum!

• Like 1

Greetings from PA! Of the buggies listed in the title the most engaging to build would be the Avante. It would also be the prettiest sitting on a shelf. They really are beautiful and a joy to build. That said, Avantes were mostly a collection of untested designs. If you want an Avante series buggy to run, the Egress would make a better runner. Not that the Avante can't be run however. The Thundershot and Terra Scorcher are from the same series/family of buggies. They are probably the simplest to build and perform the best throughout a variety of conditions. The Hotshot (and the rest of the Hotshot series, of which your Super Sabre was a part of) were slightly more complex to build than the Thundershot series. The Hotshot was probably the most involved build of that first series.

So to sum up, for build complexity Avante, Hotshot, Terra Scorcher, Thundershot.

for best all around usability/performance Terra Scorcher, Thundershot, Avante, Hotshot

• Thanks 1

As beautiful as the Avante is, for about the same outlay, you could have a Hotshot and The new release Terra Scorcher up and running.

Twice the build experience and two very different buggies to admire on the shelf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bromley said:

As beautiful as the Avante is, for about the same outlay, you could have a Hotshot and The new release Terra Scorcher up and running.

Twice the build experience and two very different buggies to admire on the shelf.

You have a valid good point and they are good builds! But the avante is just in a league of it's own I've built a fair few rc's over the years and I can honestly say together with the kyosho turbo optima it's the best build I've ever done (by far)

• Like 1

Hotshot isn't great as a runner.  It does run, don't get me wrong.  But it runs as if it's got no suspension (it's an exaggeration, but that's how it feels).  

Wheels just flap about, as if the ground is too hot to touch.  When the ground is flat, it sounds like it's a tank, heavy and labored (mine is vintage).  Back in the 80's, Hotshot was a new design.  Suspensions are clever, but ineffective.  So if you are buying for novelty, it's fine.  Just don't compare it with anything since the 90's.  

Bigwig is a much better runner, but it's ugly (though it grew on me).  Boomerang is a better looking buggy out of Hotshot family re-issued so far.  The performance of front monoshock depends a lot on the strength of anti-sway bar though.  The vintage Fox was ineffective, but Tamiya tweaked it with Novafox. That makes Novafox better than vintage Fox.  I don't know how it is with re-issued Thundershot.  

4-wheel independent suspension of Terra Scorcher might turn out to be the best performer out of hotshot lineage.  

As for Avante... it's just too precious to run. Which is why I'm not getting it (if that makes any sense at all).  In my mind, Avante takes the crown when it comes to the "shelf queen" title.  She's no queen, she's a Princess!!  It is beautiful.  It tugs at my protector instinct.  That goes totally against my basher-ism. <_<  lol...  But you might enjoy the building process.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bromley said:

8 hours ago, moffman said:

You have a valid good point and they are good builds! But the avante is just in a league of it's own I've built a fair few rc's over the years and I can honestly say together with the kyosho turbo optima it's the best build I've ever done (by far)

Gotta agree with both of these guys lol :P

The Avante is unlike anything else to build, or just stare at. Th engineering that went into it is just stunning, it is the halo model of all halo models. If you have ever wanted one you may as well just go and buy it because otherwise it will be an itch at the back of your mind (sorry, I'm mixing my metaphors) that won't go away. But, as @Juggular quite rightly said, it's just too pretty to run! It's probably best to consider it an adult Lego set. Great fun to build and look at, but other than a bit of a play when you've just finished it, it will only ever sit on a shelf.

@Bromley makes a very compelling point. The Hotshot is a very interesting build, and in my mind is one of the classic "Tamiya at it's best and most wacky" models. It makes very little sense, but it's super cool and just looks awesome. The rear suspension is nuts, but it looks so cool, and the twin machined heatsinks?! Why doesn't every car have these!!??

The Terra Scorcher is a very capable buggy that runs well, is easy to set up, fun to build and comes with a nice level of quality out of the box. It's definitely the best out of that family, whether or not it's the best looking is a matter of opinion, but it's only a body and post swap.

To get both for the same outlay as the Avante is a hard one to choose. It'd be very tempting to get the Hotshot and Terra, keep the Hotshot as a shelf queen and run the badword out of the Terra (just stick a set of Egress/Avante Black wheels on it so you can get some better tyres.) 

I'd probably go with that option, then while I'm enjoying them both, save up to buy an Avante ;) 

• Like 1

It's TRUE if your thinking of the avante it will always be in your mind until you get one as brilliant as the other buggies are you will always be thinking "but that avante" I've been in the fortunate position to have had two of them over the years the first one I sold (yes I know what an absolute plumb:wacko:!) I regretted it the second I handed it over in the post office to go to it's new owner to the extent that night I ordered another one:)......the wife thinks it's the same original one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, moffman said:

Interesting point re the Optima. I have always fancied the Javelin and I too love a complex build. Am I right in thinking therefore that the Javelin not only looks amazing (IMHO) but it a great build? 

• Like 2

I've not had any experience with the kyosho javelin but I'm thinking its going to be as good as the optima simply because it shares a fair few parts and looking at it screams quality! 

I was in a similar position a few years ago and went for an Avante. Such a dream to build, and then to stare at! I can’t run it though, that just feels wrong.

Later on, I bought a comical buggy for bashing around. I now have three!

So remember that you’re making a first step and it probably won’ be your last.

My suggestion is to start with an Avante and see if you enjoy it building it. If you do, a whole world opens up. If not, we’ll you have an amazing looking thing in your shelf.

I think until you scratch the Avante itch, you’ll also be wondering “what if”...

Fun times ahead. Enjoy them!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I'm set with Avante and will place preorder for Terra scorcher then.. 

I assume Avante will come with ball bearings? so I just need radio, servo, and batteries/chargers.. if I want it to run.. :P 

• Like 1

Yes, the Avante has full ball bearings. It comes with a motor but not a speed controller (or the radio, servo, batteries you mentioned). 

Among your choices, Avante for sure. If you can add Egress (2013) to the list, then Egress it is. It's an upgrade version of the Avante. Tamiya improved this kit by removing the unnecessary parts from the Avante that made it lousy. The Egress is a better car in all aspects with better parts too like hi-cap dampers, titanium screw sets, improved steering, improved suspension, longer wheelbase, etc.

Here's something worth reading before your purchase.

https://www.robobugs.net/articles/history-of-the-tamiya-avante

I agree. If you intend on doing more serious running, the Egress is the better car. If you want something to be run occasionally and looks beautiful on the shelf as well, then Avante. I will add that the re-releases of both cars are a bit different than the originals. Aside from smaller details, the new Avante is equipped with a carbon graphite chassis now whereas the original was FRP. Both the Avante and Egress have improved knuckles for durability. The new Egress lacks the titanium screws the original had. While the Avante kit does supply a nice GT motor, the Egress lacks a motor altogether.

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I agree. If you intend on doing more serious running, the Egress is the better car. If you want something to be run occasionally and looks beautiful on the shelf as well, then Avante. I will add that the re-releases of both cars are a bit different than the originals. Aside from smaller details, the new Avante is equipped with a carbon graphite chassis now whereas the original was FRP. Both the Avante and Egress have improved knuckles for durability. The new Egress lacks the titanium screws the original had. While the Avante kit does supply a nice GT motor, the Egress lacks a motor altogether.

Too bad Tamiya didn't include the Ti screws anymore with the re-re Ergress. Still, it's a very nice kit to have.