toyolien

My fix for Frog front wheels pulling out of the uprights.

I built a Frog about 18 months ago with the intention of doing some vintage racing with my Dad. We did one event at the end of 2018 and became despondent as everyone else had just bought re-release RC10's with 8.5t motors. I spent a lot of time setting the Frog up and it was reasonably competitive.

But early in 2019 I sold it. Now, as I'm sure a lot of people do, I regret it so am going to build another Frog. I've not ordered the kit yet but will do soon. However, the only issue I had (which is common from what I read online) is the front axle falling out of the uprights. This happen to me twice. I first tried to bond it back in but it soon fell out again.

So, today I found the spare pair of uprights I'd bought and thought I'd have a look at a more permanent solution. Other people have done this also, and it seems to be a permanent fix.

I first carefully levered the axle out of the uprights. This was surprisingly easy to do.

Then marked the middle and centre punched it.

vWHZ4RV.jpg

Started with a 2mm new drill bit and very slowly drilled in 8mm.

Ax8rJSf.jpg

Then followed it with a new 2.5mm.

mCXrBYk.jpg

And finally a good quality HSS 3mm tap.

vU8V9JD.jpg

I've had this countersinking tool for 15 years, and It's been used loads of time. Out it came again.

ybTgUgF.jpg

After drilling thought the centre of the uprights with a 2.5mm then a 3mm dill, I countersunk the hole.

YXvWvTh.jpg

This is how they looked before final assembly.

j8l6YCe.jpg

A little blue thread lock and they're all done.

nAti0yo.jpg

0kYi48P.jpg

I just used a small battery operated hand drill and a bench mounted vice. A lathe would have made this job loads easier but I don't have that luxury. I thought I'd just show how easy it is to do this, and stop that annoying problem of losing front wheels.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thank God for the 3mm tap - I've used mine tons of times . Nice job you've there for sure !!  :D

They look nice I remember the axel falling out on my re release Subaru brat. And thought they were scrap but that is not the case now.

I like your work!

I noticed that problem happening only on the re-re uprights, never seen such thing with the older ones.

• Like 1

Nice job. B)

I've been meaning to buy a new set of uprights for my re-re Frog for ages.

Glad I held off, as it sounds like the problem will still remain.

I can now fix my existing uprights. Might have to have a chat to the machinist at work... :)

This is a great Mod!  A lot more creative than my solution - buy vintage knuckles. 

Terry

15 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Thank God for the 3mm tap - I've used mine tons of times . Nice job you've there for sure !!  :D

Indeed. I only ever buy quality tools now. Bought cheap ones on the past that have just ruined the job i was doing with them.

14 hours ago, Doc Hollywood said:

They look nice I remember the axel falling out on my re release Subaru brat. And thought they were scrap but that is not the case now.

Exactly what happened to me. I can't believe how little effort it took to remove the axles!

4 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I like your work!

I noticed that problem happening only on the re-re uprights, never seen such thing with the older ones.

Thanks. I think the vintage ones must have with been a tighter fit or better metals. 

3 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

Nice job. B)

I've been meaning to buy a new set of uprights for my re-re Frog for ages.

Glad I held off, as it sounds like the problem will still remain.

I can now fix my existing uprights. Might have to have a chat to the machinist at work... :)

Yes you can. This is a simple and permanent fix, if you take you're time doing it.

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

This is a great Mod!  A lot more creative than my solution - buy vintage knuckles. 

Terry

Thanks, I did look for some vintage knuckles but glad i did it this way now. I shall be doing the ones that come with the kit also, as spares.

Probably a bit late with the info but green loctite will hold the axles in without any additional drilling and tapping. 
It’s an industrial grade and usually only comes off if burnt off 

1 hour ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Probably a bit late with the info but green loctite will hold the axles in without any additional drilling and tapping. 
It’s an industrial grade and usually only comes off if burnt off 

Thank you. That's good to know for future. I have a couple of Brats that'll probably need doing.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:39 PM, toyolien said:

I built a Frog about 18 months ago with the intention of doing some vintage racing with my Dad. We did one event at the end of 2018 and became despondent as everyone else had just bought re-release RC10's with 8.5t motors. I spent a lot of time setting the Frog up and it was reasonably competitive.

But early in 2019 I sold it. Now, as I'm sure a lot of people do, I regret it so am going to build another Frog. I've not ordered the kit yet but will do soon. However, the only issue I had (which is common from what I read online) is the front axle falling out of the uprights. This happen to me twice. I first tried to bond it back in but it soon fell out again.

So, today I found the spare pair of uprights I'd bought and thought I'd have a look at a more permanent solution. Other people have done this also, and it seems to be a permanent fix.

I first carefully levered the axle out of the uprights. This was surprisingly easy to do.

Then marked the middle and centre punched it.

vWHZ4RV.jpg

Started with a 2mm new drill bit and very slowly drilled in 8mm.

Ax8rJSf.jpg

Then followed it with a new 2.5mm.

mCXrBYk.jpg

And finally a good quality HSS 3mm tap.

vU8V9JD.jpg

I've had this countersinking tool for 15 years, and It's been used loads of time. Out it came again.

ybTgUgF.jpg

After drilling thought the centre of the uprights with a 2.5mm then a 3mm dill, I countersunk the hole.

YXvWvTh.jpg

This is how they looked before final assembly.

j8l6YCe.jpg

A little blue thread lock and they're all done.

nAti0yo.jpg

0kYi48P.jpg

I just used a small battery operated hand drill and a bench mounted vice. A lathe would have made this job loads easier but I don't have that luxury. I thought I'd just show how easy it is to do this, and stop that annoying problem of losing front wheels.

Wow great quality fix. That's an awsome job. I. Might have a go at that if not out comes the jbweld lol... 

Thanksq

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gingerlips said:

Wow great quality fix. That's an awsome job. I. Might have a go at that if not out comes the jbweld lol... 

Thanksq

You're welcome. Take your time, and all will be good :D

I glued my front axles back in to the uprights with Araldite and they have stayed in there ever since. I think 2 part epoxy resin is a bit more ‘rubbery’ than superglue/ loctite so can absorb impacts better. My problem is the rear dog bone axles keep popping out. Would be very interested to know if anyone has got a fix for this....

I had the same problem with my frog dog bones. I took springs out of two retractable ball point pens and cut them (roughly ) in half and placed them in the drive cups.

I had to use a bit of trial & error and trim the springs to fit as if they're too long they cause the suspension to bind. 

I've not had the problem since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1