ALEXKYRIAK

AlexKyriak’s Brat Build

Hi all, a Brat build thread to follow... so this is another build that I have on the way. Not my usual style, but I currently have about four builds on concurrently. I had been admiring Brats for some time, and decided I’d go and build my own. 

Brat Build

This build is based on a Brat Blue Edition, primarily because I wanted to use the dark grey chassis and plastic components... I know, aesthetic tart that I am! 

This build also incorporates a few other ‘special’ mods..... I have used the same Hornet rear shock mod to the front shocks, including aluminium shock towers, as used on my Lancia Rally build (just waiting to get a spray painting mask to complete that build! Only body left to do.)

Brat Build

I have also used some aluminium components I had originally bought ages ago for a Monster Beetle build, but didn’t end up using. And additionally this build uses some awesome aluminium wheels. They’re beautiful in my opinion. 

Brat Build

Firstly a comparison of the dark grey chassis colour as compared to a stock brat/frog mid grey chassis colour, here using my wip Lancia build as a useful comparison. I have basically been building these two projects back to back. I think the dark chassis is gorgeous. 

Brat Build

So a little bit about the aluminium components: 

Brat Build

A long while back I obtained an aluminium components kit for a Monster Beetle. This included a beautiful aluminium gearbox cover, as pictured above and below. Looks amazing in my opinion and is really complimentary with the Brat/Frog aluminium gear case plates. 

Brat Build

Brat Build

I have gone for the aluminium front damper mounts, and also the Ampro centre servo mount mod, and I built custom steering rods to accommodate this, again all just like the Lancia build except these rods needed to be shorter due to the bigger front tyre diameters.  

Brat Build

Brat Build

I will have to take off the mounts and stick them in oven cleaner to remove the bronze colour.   

Brat Build

Here you can see the front suspensions arms for upper and lower. I really love the combination of metallic components and the dark grey chassis pieces. (And yes, @Frog Jumper I will reverse the mounts !)

These pieces are beautiful and solid feeling and pivot really smoothly

Brat Build

As compared to standard plastic pieces:

Brat Build

Brat Build

Brat Build

I needed to use some aluminium collars to allow the screws and arms to fit snugly but with a smooth pivot rotation.

Brat Build

also needed some 10mm spacers at the base of the shock to allow the Hornet rear shock to fit as front shocks for this build:

Brat Build

I shortened the length of the front shocks to control the ride height of the front of the car, however you need to use tamiya aluminium spacers for this as normal o rings are too wide for the Hornet rear shock. This: 

Brat Build

Not this:

Brat Build

The o-ring shock length mod is a commonly used technique to control shock length but doesn’t work with this use of Hornet rear shocks.  But the aluminium spacers do fit nicely. Went for about a 4-5mm drop to keep the nose down, this being required by the use of hornet shocks and the aluminium damper mounts

Brat Build

Pieces required in the mod, namely the Hornet rear shock parts:

Brat Build

Brat Build

Ignore the o-rings in the above photo...

The aluminium wheels are beautifully made, nice and solid and really suit that RC-ness feel:

Brat Build

Fitted:

Brat Build

I got stung here, as I didn’t realise that the rear wheels needed a special C11 part, so I had to drop some more cash and order these in from Canada. Expensively ouch. It put a 2-3 week delay right into the exciting part of the build..!

Brat Build

Brat Build

You can see the interlock shape on the inside of the wheel:

Brat Build

However, the small fortune spent on the wheels and plates was worth it in my opinion. They’re simply gorgeous  

Brat Build

Brat Build

So the build is in a fairly decent shape. Will need to do both bodies (hard and polycarbonate) soon , but can’t paint until I can source a painting / gas mask (in short supply right now for obvious reasons)  

Brat Build

Brat Build

Brat Build

Next up is a few miscellaneous pieces to fit, the electronics and the two bodies. 

• Like 7

:angry:  *Bad word* you!  I had convinced myself NOT to get the Blue Ed. Brat...  now I am back to wanting one! 

Awesome work, as always!

• Haha 2

Amazing. I too was trying to hold off getting a blue Brat. Where were the wheels from, and will this be a runner with them?

• Thanks 1

Before the blue Brat was released I bought a couple of ORV ‘project’ chassis. They were on a terrible state and the chassis had not aged we’ll colour-wise. I sprayed one of them gunmetal and was quite pleased with the results.

Thos makes we wish I had saved my money and bought one of these!

Fantastic looking chassis, looking forward to your finished bodies! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all! Need to (somehow) get a spray painting mask before going to paint the bodies (need to be cautious as I had some nasty effects from my recent madcap body painting calamity)

I will also need to order some specific colours for the body painting - I see that the PC paint range that the Brat manual lists are very hard to find these days. The workaround solution apparently is to spray paint PS paints into a container, and brush paint from there. Never tried this technique before! 

6 hours ago, toyolien said:

Where were the wheels from, and will this be a runner with them?

Got them from eBay, search for Ford F-150 aluminium / Brat / Pajero and the seller should pop up. (Does TC rules permit mention of a specific seller?) However, he/she is away until May apparently. 

15 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Thanks all! Need to (somehow) get a spray painting mask before going to paint the bodies (need to be cautious as I had some nasty effects from my recent madcap body painting calamity)

I will also need to order some specific colours for the body painting - I see that the PC paint range that the Brat manual lists are very hard to find these days. The workaround solution apparently is to spray paint PS paints into a container, and brush paint from there. Never tried this technique before! 

Got them from eBay, search for Ford F-150 aluminium / Brat / Pajero and the seller should pop up. (Does TC rules permit mention of a specific seller?) However, he/she is away until May apparently. 

Thanks. I'll find them. I was wondering if you were going to run those wheels and whether you were gluing the tires on?

Excellent work, those aluminum parts look right at home on the dark chassis, they were originally for a MB you say? Hummm now there’s a thought, 😁

The aluminum wheels you have you don’t notice the different offset between the fronts and rear like the original plastic ones either 👍🏻