junkmunki

4 stroke Kyosho

From back in the day, i seem to remember that Kyosho produced a version of one of its nitro cars with a 4 stroke motor instead of a 2 stroke. Whay was this kit, and did it go better then the 2 stroke version?

J

It was the Super Ten on-road chassis, roughly 1/8 scale (but more like a 1/10 scale touring car than a typical 1/8 scale racer). It came with Acura NSX and Porsche 911 GT3 bodies, maybe some others.

I don't know if they went any better than the 2-strokes, but they sure sounded better:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I don't know if they went any better than the 2-strokes, but they sure sounded better:

The sound was indeed great, but acceleration was lot slower than with a 2-stroke (rubberband effect). Even with the lowest possible gearing, it was pretty much useless on short winding tracks. If I remember correctly, the two-speed that was normally optional for the Super-10, was included with the 4-stroke version, but it didn't help much to compensate for the lack of low end torque.

That said, it's a very cool model and I love Kyosho for bringing out so many models outside the mainstream. All the niche models they've had the courage to make, may not have been good for their finances,  and Kyosho may not have created as many new sustainable trends as Tamiya, but for decades, Kyosho has been he brand to look to when I got tired of building and/or running "normal" models.