Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Newbie - Question re Lunchbox Mini

Hi!

I just found this forum but I am a long time Tamiya fan, I guess for over 30 years now. I lived in Japan for about a decade and actually got quite into the nitro cars while I was there, I still have a shed full of them actually.. Anyway, my sons are now 11 and 8 and are getting into the Tamiya cars themselves. At our home in Japan we have a lunchbox and wild willy and a 5 cars here in the UK some mine (Twin Detonator / MX5) and some theirs, grasshopper, Dark Impact and Rising fighter. 

We were actually luckily enough to be invited to the Tamiya factory in Shizuoka last year and my boys who are crazy about the Mini 4WD cars had a great time. 

Anyway, thats the intro, I have a problem.. One of my old friends sent me a Lunchbox Mini for Christmas (from Japan) frankly I never knew the thing existed but it looks pretty cool. HE sent radio gear too but what I don't have is a battery and the standard 7.2v batteries do not fit.. Anyone know where I can get one that fits or am I going to have to wait until I get back to Japan when lockdown finishes... !?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Richard

pWWdv1Fq0pyVjSxrbNgiEMGD31RM5En764GGXssY

vFlAZ38eGCVpSbV3ld1RZZmMY5wKjrCv2uZXW9nS

Fits great and gives it a good balance also works nice in the trike T3-01

Many thanks, will try to find one!

Or even better could you tell me where you bought it?

I got it from Conrad, you could however ask vapextech if they have that size cells and can make you one.

I like their stuff.

Did you upgrade any other parts, I read that a lot as recommendation for the sportstuned, stuff like gears and axle joints etc.

I know my kids kept popping a driveshaft out, but I suspect they were probably mistreating it.

I did get the brass hop up option,. But it doesn't solve the whole problem.

Have anybody released a one piece CVD yet?

These get expensive by the time you fit bearings, the 4wd steer link. Brass cross joints. Oh and I put a full light kit on as well.

• Like 1

For batteries, I use a 4x AA holder with rechargeable AA's 2500mah. The turnigy  LSD ones from hobbyking. 

I also had a tiny 460mah 2s lipo which seems to last a fair runtime. 

I've just bought a slightly bigger 1000mah 2s battery which should fit fine and give much more runtime.

He must have driven it over 2 miles on that little lipo. 

Great little cars though. Loads of fun.

It looks like the link in the post above is 2x 18650 batteries. They are what power a Tesla only there is about a 1000 of them in a Tesla.

Also used for vapes. Buy a few, solder them together. Make a few packs??.

I just got 2 of these for the boys but not tried them yet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164132605477

Of course the 4x AA's provide 6volts, 

My 8 year old always wants the lipo because it's 7.4volts, lighter and more powerful. The 4AA's are heavy and you feel it when driving.

Show us what you ordered!!!

On 4/7/2020 at 6:16 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

I know my kids kept popping a driveshaft out, but I suspect they were probably mistreating it.

I did get the brass hop up option,. But it doesn't solve the whole problem.

Have anybody released a one piece CVD yet?

These get expensive by the time you fit bearings, the 4wd steer link. Brass cross joints. Oh and I put a full light kit on as well.

That’s what my mini does with the sports tuned haha

JJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

That’s what my mini does with the sports tuned haha

JJ

If you mean my driving?. Yes. Not good. Lol. The kids can drive them much better than me. I was going to get a programmable ESC and turn the brakes down.