Nova1

Top Force front differential

Just got to step 14 of the Top Force build. I’ve noticed that the front differential doesn’t seem to be working correctly in that both drive cups rotate in the same direction. The rear differential doesn’t do this. I’ve taken the front ball diff apart to check that it is correct and all seems in order. Any suggestions on what might be the problem ?

thank you all

If you have to tighten the ball diff up like on a TA02 I did once if you over tighten it, it will lock which will make both drive cups turn the same way so slack it off till it works . Hope this helps I have only had one car with a ball diff I hope this helps. 

Thank you for the reply. I should add that if the spur gear is held the drive cups rotate in opposite directions. It is just when the drive cups are turned with no resistance to spur gear they rotate in same direction. Is this correct? 

If holding the spur gear locks the gearbox and the cups go in opposite directions then the diff as far as I know is probably functioning correctly But my knowledge is very limited as I have never owned a top force or seen one and have only set up 1 ball diff and that must be about 4 years ago. 

On 4/7/2020 at 9:22 PM, Nova1 said:

Thank you for the reply. I should add that if the spur gear is held the drive cups rotate in opposite directions. It is just when the drive cups are turned with no resistance to spur gear they rotate in same direction. Is this correct? 

If you have nothing to prevent the spur gear rotating then that will be the path of least resistance. If your diff is operating when the drivetrain is stopped from moving then it is ok

Thank you for the reply -much appreciated.

I attached the assembled front gearbox to chassis and the differential performed as it should.