Mr Toby

TT-02 Type-S drive shaft issue

Hi everyone-I hope youre all well and keeping sane in these crazy times.

I have an issue with my TT02 Type-S. I impulse purchased it when I knew I was going to be in lock-down for a "project".

Its been great so far but after using it for 15 mins [no crashes, on smooth tarmac] it now has a consistent issue of the back [driver side] small drive shaft/dog bone popping out EVERYTIME.

The part is BB22-it has all been assembled true to instructions, urethane and O-rings in place. I have tried swapping the shaft, tyres and other moveable parts but it still just pops out as soon as I hit the gas. I have adjusted camber, toe-in, toe-out etc but still happens.

Any ideas? Its basically un-useable at this stage!

Thanks in advance!

That is very odd. Amy chance of a few photos of the affected area and parts, or video of it occurring? Perhaps we'll be able to spot the issue?

Yeah is a bit weird - I had the complete opposite on my Type - S. With the o-ring and the foam installed the driveshafts were so tight they would bind up. I took the o rings out in the end and it was much better.

Thanks for replying guys-Im sure its something very simple-a few pics attached.

Pink urethane goes in shaft in motor/diff side and O-ring in wheel side socket.

The only thing I can see is that there is a bit too much "play" once wheel is on in that area, but its the same on all wheels.

Any help much appreciated. cheers

IMG_6859.JPG

IMG_8448.JPG

IMG_9461.JPG

Hmm. How many bearings do you have in your wheel hub? I can see the outer one, but is there an inner one too?

Also, are you sure the shocks are meant to have the long lower eyelet fitted? That might be causing the suspension to droop more than it should, placing too much of an angle on the dogbone?

5 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Hmm. How many bearings do you have in your wheel hub? I can see the outer one, but is there an inner one too?

2 bearings, one on inside too.

What he said /\

Looking on the camber on your wheels with that turn buckle looks like its pushing the bottom of the hub too far out

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Also, are you sure the shocks are meant to have the long lower eyelet fitted? That might be causing the suspension to droop more than it should, placing too much of an angle on the dogbone?

I thought that and adjusted it and same happened. I will however put them back to "factory settings" haha.

Any other ideas? Im close to giving up! 

A puzzle to be sure. Apart from the extra droop as a consequence of the long lower shock eyelet, I can't see anything amiss. Could you perhaps run the car on the bench with the wheels off the ground, video the affected area, upload the video to YouTube and post a link here? Maybe we'll spot something when it is in motion, or hear a clue in the noise it makes?

4 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

A puzzle to be sure. Apart from the extra droop as a consequence of the long lower shock eyelet, I can't see anything amiss. Could you perhaps run the car on the bench with the wheels off the ground, video the affected area, upload the video to YouTube and post a link here? Maybe we'll spot something when it is in motion, or hear a clue in the noise it makes?

Sure will. Just put shocks back to factory settings. Put it down, slight throttle and it flung out again! So confusing. It seems to happen when its on the ground and has torque on the socket. Running with wheels up its fine. 

Here is a little video showing the lack of any kind of lock-in on the shaft...

pops out just turning by hand!

You have the wrong lower part attached to the shock.(part no V2) It’s Letting the arm move down too low so it will fall off. The correct one (part no V1)is 5.5mm shorter. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, qatmix said:

You have the wrong lower part attached to the shock.(part no V2) It’s Letting the arm move down too low so it will fall off. The correct one (part no V1)is 5.5mm shorter. 

Yes! Well done. Many, many thanks. Will tinker with it tonight and report back. Cheers!

Indeed - the video shows the long lower eyelet fitted to the shock, which allows too much droop. Try the shorter one as specified in the manual. That should resolve the issue.