Big Jon

Alternate Konghead Bodies?

The stock Konghead body has jumped it's last curb, and I don't want to use another stock body, because it's so ugly. Has anyone tried anything other than King Yellow or Dynahead bodies?

spacer.png

I heartily agree regarding the stock shell's ugliness. I couldn't even bring myself to mount mine. Instead I built my G6-01 a shell out of Plasticard. 

• Like 1

Somewhere there's a bloke who made a custom one out of (I think) 2 vanessas lunchbox body shells. If I recall correctly he did a chop-job on both, melded them together and made one long van. It looked great. Not easy to do though. Worth looking at just for interest. I don't know about off-the-shelf bodies.

edit just googled to death but can't find it. Virtual £10 to anyone that can

• Like 2

Almost anything you do will need some level of modification. The outermost wheels wheelbase is around 300mm i think. Plenty of crawler/scale shells between 270 and 313mm wheelbase. 

• Like 1

It may end up with an Axial Mighty FC body. With a moderate amount of trimming on the rear, I think that I can make it look good. I need to stay with Lexan on this one; it gets beaten on quite a bit.

1 hour ago, CoolHands said:

Somewhere there's a bloke who made a custom one out of (I think) 2 vanessas lunchbox body shells. If I recall correctly he did a chop-job on both, melded them together and made one long van. It looked great. Not easy to do though. Worth looking at just for interest. I don't know about off-the-shelf bodies.

edit just googled to death but can't find it. Virtual £10 to anyone that can

wohoo it’s the kongbox  

That’s my 1st virtual £10 

B)

@Busdriver did some cool stuff with the Mog shell & modifying the Dynahead. Person who links the builds can have half my virtual tenner 

:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Jon said:

The stock Konghead body has jumped it's last curb, and I don't want to use another stock body, because it's so ugly. Has anyone tried anything other than King Yellow or Dynahead bodies?

spacer.png

There's a series (on channel) in there how I made it fit. Admittedly a crap vid but I need to get a photohosting account.

Not good for jumping curbs though...

• Like 1

Can’t seem to make a link but if you search for Dynamog you’ll find the thread

If your into custom building, how about a Unimog cab with a longer flatbed behind it?

8 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

If your into custom building, how about a Unimog cab with a longer flatbed behind it?

That’s what my Dynamog is. Only difference is I ended up using the Loops cab and a homemade flat bed. Also fitted bigger softer tyres. It makes a great trail truck and I’d pretty capable. The middle set of wheels means it doesn’t ground out. With the hard body and the way I made my flat bed(MDF and bits of metal) does make it a tad top heavy!!!! I started with a Tamiya Lexan cab but it was just too flimsy. There is another somewhere that I have seen that uses the back half of a Konghead with a Unimog cab

• Like 1

Here's a build thread on my attempt with a King Blackfoot body.  This has become my #1 runner, it gets a blast around my garden at least once a week as my daughter loves putting leaves in the back and chasing after it.

Note I had to add a lot of metal reinforcing to stop the shell folding in the middle (see thread).

• Like 1

IMG_1467.JPG.4544d646040d46f9b084ca6c3d7b538f.JPGIMG_1470.JPG.14b71bec98e517b55a3b3054367e106e.JPGIMG_1465.JPG.257be835c64d4e7efe35f82ee09af9a4.JPG

Still dont know how to insert link to thread but here are some pictures

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

• Like 4

If you copy the link from your browser and paste it straight into the reply box you get ^this^   @Busdriver
YouTube clips work the same. Embeds automatically. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, Big Jon said:

spacer.png

I've seen a custom Wild willys body on this. It looks real trick