Sign in to follow this  
ChrisRx718

Steering servo intermittently working

I was driving about the garden with my GF01 and the steering would lock out in neutral position for 30 seconds or so before returning. The car had the following setup:

TEU302BK ESC 

Flysky GR3E receiver

Blue Bird BMS621MG servo

I was running the car on a freshly charged 2S Lipo. I'm aware the TEU302 isn't designed to run on Lipo and wonder if this might have been the cause of the problem?

The servo isn't a particularly juicy item, just a high-speed metal geared jobby. Could it be that this was drawing too many amps and the ESC was denying it more power?

Or could my choice of cheap radio gear be at fault here? I can't set end points so the servo may have been over stressed when turning. 

Just trying to figure out what would cause the steering to intermittently cut out, whilst the throttle input was completely unaffected?

During the lock out does it return to neutral (I see you mention that it locks in neutral but I don't know if thats where it was when it drops out) or does it stay wherever it was?

Sorry, yes it stays wherever it last was. So if I was turning right, all I can do is circles for 30 seconds :lol:

If it happens very regular you can swap channels on the receiver. If the fault moves to the throttle then the servo is fine. If the servo still glitches then the fault is there.

It’s the servo browning out. The bluebird servos are high draw, and the receiver cannot cope with the extra spike.

You need to fit a power cap in the receiver. They are only £4 or so and with sort it.