AshRC

Blackfoot decals - original or custom?

I’m restoring a vintage Blackfoot. The body is covered in cracked and peeling paint so I’ll be stripping it right back and start again.

I was just looking at decals and it looks like I’ve got some options, so I thought I’d get some opinions. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

Original (not authentic)

Re-release (Tamiya)

Black decals

Monster decals

I was planning on painting it black, but different decals could mean a different base colour ...

I’d go for the rerelease stickers. I’ve done a rere and a black & silver version but prefer the authenticity of the rerelease ones.

The aftermarket decals that are printed on white vinyl are quite thick compared to original Tamiya and I find have an annoying white line surrounding each sticker due to the thickness of them.  Paint the body white and it won’t be noticeable.  Any other colour and you will see this.  

MCI Racing's repro Blackfoot decals are good quality and accurate.  They can also customize colors in you're wanting that.  Worth a look.

• Like 1

+1 for MCI Racing.  Have them in whatever colour you want :)

Definitely MCI I've not personally had blackfoot decals from them but had avante, egress, sand scorcher and a few others and they are probably the next best thing to the original (obviously can't beat the genuine tamiya decals) I got the avante decals in gold to go with the gold rims!

20180726_105724.jpg

Another vote for MCI, I've used them on a few of my kits when the proper Tamiya ones are hard to get and the results have always been good.

Thanks everyone, I kinda assumed they’d all be much the same in quality, but clearly not. MCI are based in the US, but it works out as only a couple of £ difference to buying some eBay specials.

I’ll order them today B)

21 minutes ago, AshRC said:

Thanks everyone, I kinda assumed they’d all be much the same in quality, but clearly not. MCI are based in the US, but it works out as only a couple of £ difference to buying some eBay specials.

I’ll order them today B)

Canada, not US 👍🏻