Scrounger73

Original Boomerang resto

Good Morning All, I hope you are keeping safe and well.

As most have lots of time on our hands due to the current situation, I've decided to do a resto on my original Boomerang from the 80s.

Bought by my parents as a Christmas present in the mid 80s, she's currently looking a little worse for wear. 

Quite simply by looking at her she needs a new shell and wing, new wheels and tyres and probably some replacement screws due to some of the heads being rounded off. I haven't taken her apart yet but the gearboxes and diffs sound ok and none of the drive shafts are bent. I've already got a couple of new bits (new front uprights) but trying to source replacement parts online show they are either ridiculously expensive or impossible to get hold of.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help locating bits and pieces and any hop ups that would improve, but not detract from, it's originality. I'd probably also look to run my original Futaba Attack ration gear but any suggestions on a good stick controller as my Futaba system is currently in my Plasma Edge.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! :)

Post up some photos, best way for us to see what you're dealing with. B)

• Like 1

That's actually in pretty good nick.

For me, I'd be stripping it, giving it a good clean and reassemble.

Source replacement L/H rear suspension parts and you're good to go. B)

• Like 1

Ah this brings back memories of when I stripped down my Thundershot 3 months ago after a 30 year rest.  

Keep us up to date with the progress.  Once you start with the upgrades, it will be hard to stop!

Looks really good! The nice thing is that parts are totally out there if you have any broken pieces. They did do a rerelease of this also there are some interchangeable parts as well. Tires are and wheels pretty easy to get your hand on too. (Ebay is your friend)... As for the electronics and old controlers I would personally ditch them and install new ones. The old ones were glitchy as all get out in the past and now with affordable ones on the market I would totally install new ones. Keep us updated on your build!

Jay 

So whilst on standby for work this morning I decided to take the Boomerang to bits and see where we stand. 

sadly one of the lower rear wishbones is broken so I’ll need a new one of those, also 2 of the homes for screws On the tub are split. One for the rear gearbox and another for the bumper. I could probably superglue this back together but may try and source a new tub. 

Gearbox looks fine with no wear on the gears and the bumper is in good condition, thank God. 

everything is currently sat in WD40 to get rid of 30 years of crap so I’ll leave them overnight and wash the plastics later today. 

• Like 1

Don't look to bad actually! Apart from the obvious! Keep us up to date and photos of before and after!! Just take your time the parts will turn up at the right price if I see any on my travels I'll PM you! 

6 minutes ago, moffman said:

Don't look to bad actually! Apart from the obvious! Keep us up to date and photos of before and after!! Just take your time the parts will turn up at the right price if I see any on my travels I'll PM you! 

Thanks for your help. 

an update. I’ve ‘misplaced’ one of the drive shafts which is really annoying and I can’t find the instruction manual. I think it’s in the loft. I’ve ordered new rear wishbones and drive shafts from flea bay with delivery expected end of the month. 

A new shell has been ordered from Fusion Hobbies so hopefully that will arrive by the end of the month. 

so.... spent some of the day ordering bits and so far I've ordered:

Tub

Rear wishbones

New Shell

Drive shafts

3x5mm ball joints

Could do with buying some replacement screws as the heads are a bit battered on some of them and it will set my OCD off. Up to now its been stripped, cleaned and stored in plastic containers until the replacement bits arrive. I dont want to stray too far away from original so am trying to stay away from after market or re-re bits but sometimes needs must. I'll probably replace the front wishbones as well as I've had them for years still on the trees but I'll see. Gears look in great condition. No missing teeth but I may be missing one of the tiny C clips from the inside of the drive cups. No idea where I can get one of those from, any suggestions?