Bwaaatch

Brushless in a Comical with NiMH and standard TBLE-02 ESC. Recommendations?

4 minutes ago, Bwaaatch said:

Feels crazy to spend so much on a tasty new motor and connect it to the chassis via a piece of paper …

I know what you mean, but you should mount it. It prevents dirt getting into the  gearbox. I forgot it on the rebuild of my Dirt Thrasher and when I changed the motor I had to clean the whole gearbox from fine dirt. Luckily I've just ran it once or twice in the meantime. I don't know if there are alternatives for that simple part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was to prevent the motor melting the chassis if it got too hot, could be wrong and I’ve also wanted to bin mine before.

And just like that I found out the real reason!

16 minutes ago, Aerobert said:

I know what you mean, but you should mount it. It prevents dirt getting into the  gearbox. I forgot it on the rebuild of my Dirt Thrasher and when I changed the motor I had to clean the whole gearbox from fine dirt. Luckily I've just ran it once or twice in the meantime. I don't know if there are alternatives for that simple part.

This makes sense! So it's not really taking any load at all, just a simple dust shield. Suddenly I see this as elegant, rather than cheap …

Here’s the Heavy Metal dump truck with the 6900kv castle motor, Rachid’s comments on this is that it was like ‘a spear’ and ‘amazing speeds’ before it flipped until the body broke!

48A580C7-6442-4558-88C7-D3E31F0E2B08.jpeg.f3bf0ca54f3d6d852fc480cc377406d9.jpeg6B0EAD1D-4591-49D4-BB52-29A0B0F520B8.jpeg.2d16faa85279400d1b2ca25a673f0c37.jpeg46B64A8F-3AB8-489C-A8C2-30668877BD91.jpeg.e09ca3519bf9457e01f4648e2230941e.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, •Axle said:

it was like ‘a spear’ and ‘amazing speeds’

This is my kind of content 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK! I have the Ez Run combo fitted, along with 24t pinion and the Yeah racing 34t spur. Have also done well balancing but my shimming is on hold (shim external diameter too great, causing binding).

Will hold off on a run until shims are sorted. Want everything to be perfect.

• Like 1

Alright! Went out for a quick test run before shimming (but after wheel balancing).

Results where indeed pretty freaking fast! 'Like a spear' is pretty accurate :-)

The lack of grip from the slick tires means I only turned to over from one over-enthusiastic pinch of the trigger from stationery. It will wheel at the start of a run, but can also be coaxed into a wheelie MID-run, which was not previously possible at all.

After 5 minutes of running I had a couple of pretty major issues that I wondered if anyone could help with.

• Both rear tires where coming off the wheels! I assumed the tires were pre-glued, but guess not! Recommendations for tire glue (I'm completely new to this)
  • One of the rear wheels had a very loose nut. Another few nits and I think it would have been completely off. Perhaps I just didn't't tighten it enough, but what is this telling me about the setup up? Will the shims hep? Or do I need to do more to secure the wheels?

Anyway, this is crazy fun and thrilling unpredictable from a standing start. You might get a log wheelie. You might just spin in a circle. If you've ever played a driving sim (Forza Horizon 4 = great fun!) and attempted to floor it in an overpowered car and watched it just start to spin in circles, you get the idea!

It will nearly turn corners unless you tap the brakes to bring the rear end around, but that's something i quite enjoy any way :-)

All in all, I'm satisfied, and I think with a bit of fine tuning I have a fun wagon on my hands!

Next step, perhaps some grippier tires to allow use on grass and loose gravel trails.

huge thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far, esp @•Axle

IMG_3648.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Looking awesome! @Bwaaatch Love the stance on yours, I’ve found the Pro-Line tire glue with the nice nozzles pretty good, I haven’t tried much though to be honest and that stuff has got expensive all of a sudden on Amazon.

Concerning the wheels coming off of the axle, are you using alloy 12mm hexes? I found the plastic ones pretty loose, other than that do them up tight, try not to crack the plastic hex if installed. Someone here may have knowledge of shimming on plastic parts, I’m using the Yeah Racing alloy kit.

I’ve just bought £20 gyro, I’m thinking it might help your car become a little more predictable, I’m still trying to get it tuned, it feels like my wheels are over compensating when I get some speed up.

What kv motor did you go with??

Brilliant! 😃

@Bwaaatch So I’ve just found out about gyros and I’ve noticed others talking about them in the past on here after searching, it’s basically a little box which sits between your steering servo and receiver and automatically turns your wheels stopping it veering off, here’s Tomley RC’s video;

13 hours ago, •Axle said:

@Bwaaatch So I’ve just found out about gyros and I’ve noticed others talking about them in the past on here after searching, it’s basically a little box which sits between your steering servo and receiver and automatically turns your wheels stopping it veering off, here’s Tomley RC’s video;

Interesting! But as I'm just bashing, not racing, I think noosing teh rear end is part of the fun :-)

• Like 1