Dadio

Rough rider to Funco SS1 replica conversion

I've been meaning to do a Rough Rider rebuild for ages as they were the car to have or at least the first that i remember , anyway i found a well used one and thought the time was right , this is how it arrived .

LCFmSmDl.jpg

RGhvw5vl.jpg

oZspzuBl.jpg

Looking at it i was a fairly early one but well used and never going to win a concourse competition but that's fine as i intend to run it . At first i had no idea what direction to go , only a list of stuff i did not want or needed replacement , all the bronze bearings needed replacing with rubber shield ball bearings , a Tamiya hop up ball diff was fitted , all the dampers needed new seals and i 3d printed some collars to fit them with coil over springs , the stock springs came off as did the radio box and chassis , the GRP chassis was replaced with a 3 mm carbon fibre one i made. At this point I stalled for a while but then i found a thread about the car the Rough Rider was thought to be inspired by the Funco SS1 and that really settled it , my plan was not to just to a dody conversion but a replica tube frame as well or as close as i could .This is the frame Chassis and steel under tray i made and fitted .

bE91cf5l.jpg

XTd7GNgl.jpg

egNChwil.jpg

ywmg7dwl.jpg

Next was a body , i do a lot of 3d printing so that was my choice for making the body , its made in the same sections as the real car , there was a fair amount of evolution in the body shape right till the end and the eagle eyed might see slight changes as the next sequence of shot goes on .

w1W3bGAl.jpg

9onHbUZl.jpg

F2T4Bs4l.jpg

UBarKQul.jpg

ntRIMyul.jpg

fxmCfT9l.jpg

80A4VLCl.jpg

HJXOvHZl.jpg

But the 3d printing didn't stop with the body , i 3d scanned my own hear and combined it with a driver figure by miniguy71 on Thingiverse (thank you) then 3d printed that as well .As you can see i deliberately went full 70's on the bodywork. 

1TRd8Skl.jpg

fLbiMCWl.jpg

Finally it all came together as this .

E5NF82Vl.jpg

gleGH3Ql.jpg

JrWcGAFl.jpg

oETlgQ4l.jpg

ske9XNYl.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Nice work . I did modify a Rough Rider body to look like the Funco 'Belray Bullet' buggy some years back

Belray Bullet outside shot.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dadio said:

I've been meaning to do a Rough Rider rebuild for ages as they were the car to have or at least the first that i remember , anyway i found a well used one and thought the time was right , this is how it arrived .

LCFmSmDl.jpg

RGhvw5vl.jpg

oZspzuBl.jpg

Looking at it i was a fairly early one but well used and never going to win a concourse competition but that's fine as i intend to run it . At first i had no idea what direction to go , only a list of stuff i did not want or needed replacement , all the bronze bearings needed replacing with rubber shield ball bearings , a Tamiya hop up ball diff was fitted , all the dampers needed new seals and i 3d printed some collars to fit them with coil over springs , the stock springs came off as did the radio box and chassis , the GRP chassis was replaced with a 3 mm carbon fibre one i made. At this point I stalled for a while but then i found a thread about the car the Rough Rider was thought to be inspired by the Funco SS1 and that really settled it , my plan was not to just to a dody conversion but a replica tube frame as well or as close as i could .This is the frame Chassis and steel under tray i made and fitted .

bE91cf5l.jpg

XTd7GNgl.jpg

egNChwil.jpg

ywmg7dwl.jpg

Next was a body , i do a lot of 3d printing so that was my choice for making the body , its made in the same sections as the real car , there was a fair amount of evolution in the body shape right till the end and the eagle eyed might see slight changes as the next sequence of shot goes on .

w1W3bGAl.jpg

9onHbUZl.jpg

F2T4Bs4l.jpg

UBarKQul.jpg

ntRIMyul.jpg

fxmCfT9l.jpg

80A4VLCl.jpg

HJXOvHZl.jpg

But the 3d printing didn't stop with the body , i 3d scanned my own hear and combined it with a driver figure by miniguy71 on Thingiverse (thank you) then 3d printed that as well .As you can see i deliberately went full 70's on the bodywork. 

1TRd8Skl.jpg

fLbiMCWl.jpg

Finally it all came together as this .

E5NF82Vl.jpg

gleGH3Ql.jpg

JrWcGAFl.jpg

oETlgQ4l.jpg

ske9XNYl.jpg

• Like 1

Top job there Dadio, i love the 70s vibe happening with the paintwork. The back end on the cage gives it a look very similar to the American oval dirt racers of the period.

Got to say though, i love the Meccano front bumper that it came with. Thats a real make it up as you go along field repair...:D

J

RGhvw5vl.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Nice work . I did modify a Rough Rider body to look like the Funco 'Belray Bullet' buggy some years back

Belray Bullet outside shot.jpg

That's a really good copy of the box art car , again based on the Funco ss1 but there are a million variants depending on how the owner wanted it , I tried to go for more of a weekend fun in the sun and sand hobby vehicle than a race car , I'm working on a 3d printable rear frame and a basic front frame so people can download it from Thingiverse for free and print it off , just enough frame to hold the body together , when its done I'll post the files up for download but its probably weeks away .

1 hour ago, junkmunki said:

Top job there Dadio, i love the 70s vibe happening with the paintwork. The back end on the cage gives it a look very similar to the American oval dirt racers of the period.

Got to say though, i love the Meccano front bumper that it came with. Thats a real make it up as you go along field repair...:D

J

RGhvw5vl.jpg

Nothing says vintage like a Meccano bumper !