Jimbothejetsetter

Battery connections?

Hi,

Please can you advise me on what I need to connect this battery up to my ESC connection. I have included a photo below. 
The battery is a deans connection but what the other connection called? 
Thanks

Jimbo

4FF883EE-AC11-4AC3-A85A-542554B6AE36.jpeg

Looks like a mini Tamiya connector, the only thing less capable than a regular Tamiya connector

• Haha 3

Isn't that the balance lead?.

For monitoring individual cell voltage when charging.

You need a plug that's compatible with your charger.

I would chop the Mini Tamiya connector off and put a deans in its place. But yes adaptors are out there.

It is not the balance lead, they will always have more then two connections and will normally be something like JST-XH not mini tam.

Make sure to cut each wire individually! And dont let the two wires touch! a shorted lipo is sure to ruin your pack in short order or even worse your entire day. 

• Thanks 1

I am pretty sure the mini tamiya is on the esc not the battery, but generally yes still a good idea to do it one wire at a time - less chance of confusion! 

13 minutes ago, Jimbothejetsetter said:

Thanks I will chop it off and fit a deans male!

You can go with Deans or you can go with XT60.  Deans are supposed to have lower resistance.  But XT60 has larger area of contact (I did a calculation, but I forgot...)  Also easier on the fingers, which is important.    

E7zGaBF.jpg

But there are deans that are easier on the fingers too.  

z5xRChi.jpg

Once you choose one over the other, it's hard to choose otherwise.  You might want to buy 1 pair of Deans and 1 pair of XT60, and see what you like.  The un-chosen pair will still be useful, because you'll end up making an adapter.  

What @guggles said is important.  

I try to pry Deans connectors because they were just way too tight.  This is what happened to a Swiss Army knife.  RC batteries are strong enough to vaporize a grain of stainless steel.  So I would;

1) cut only one wire.  2) Solder that to the new connector be it Deans or XT60.  3) Cut the other wire only then.  4) Solder that to the new connector.  

That way, only one wire is exposed at a time.  Far less likely to short.  

IrP9c4K.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1