Crashboxdummy

Nimh battery recommendations

Hi everyone.  

Having come back into the hobby after a several years long break, I’ve realised my old ni-cd and nimh are no longer any good and it’s years since I bought any.  I’m needing to buy some nimh batteries with large capacity (possibly 5,000 mah?) for decent running times.  

As it’s been years since I bought one does anybody recommend a particular brand please?

Many thanks 😊 

I am very happy with my vapextech 3300 NiMh, fit my vintage Tamiya and have a great power delivery and enough runtime to get the motor hot.

I had higher mAh NiMh but find these tend to just die over time even if not used that much.

If I heard it correctly big brand manufacturers don't even make NiMh cells with more than approx 3500 mah.

• Thanks 1

Thanks waterbok.  

Thats interesting about the mah.  I suppose over the years batteries have become more efficient and maybe better than they would have been even 5-10 years ago.  I’ll have a look for the vapextech 

1 hour ago, Crashboxdummy said:

Hi everyone.  

Having come back into the hobby after a several years long break, I’ve realised my old ni-cd and nimh are no longer any good and it’s years since I bought any.  I’m needing to buy some nimh batteries with large capacity (possibly 5,000 mah?) for decent running times.  

As it’s been years since I bought one does anybody recommend a particular brand please?

Many thanks 😊 

Be careful about the bigger capacity because as capacity increases so does the physical size of the battery.  I have some 3800mah packs that barely squeeze into my Novafox and Boomerang, but are fine in the TT02B which will fit square lipos.  Aim for around 3000mah which is a good compromise between the size and the run time.  With a silvercan my 3800 packs would give about 40min runtime anyway when they're new, so 3000mah should be 25 - 30mins.

I don't think you have much choice with brands anyway, I would just buy whats available, they probably all come from the same factory anyway given NiMH aren't very popular anymore.

• Thanks 1

I bought a LRP 5000mAh nimh and I am very happy with it. On a brushless motor I get somewhere of 40min of driving. They are quite heavy compared to a 2200-3300nimh.

but I would not trust those cheap labels saying 5000nimh. LRP is a brand I trust, and on every charge I get about (depends how empty) 4000-4600mAh after a year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1