Sign in to follow this  
burakol

Buying ReRe Manta Ray

Bringing back memories as a child. I will be ordering a rere Manta Ray kit tomorrow by hook or by crook; I will deal with my wife later on... 

Anyhow, besides the foundational ball bearings instead of the plastic bearings from the kit, what else should I plan on "hopping-up" to make the car run more efficiently and more durable? Are the metal propellers a must? Any other must change during the build? Thanks. 

• Like 1

I have the Top Force not the Manta Ray but from my research this is highly recommended. The Top Force comes with the prop shaft so I got the Yeah Racing motor mount since I didn't need the shaft. Appparently the plastic mount fails and the prop shaft is bendy.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-manta-ray-2018-hard-prop-shaft-motor-mount-set-47373-00077402

Also, the plastic gearset to remove the alloy idler gear

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-4wd-touring-and-rally-car-plastic-gear-for-ta02-chassis-50529-00023261

Or the high speed gears for lower FDR if you go brushless. This has 2 smaller spur gears and removes thw alloy idler gear

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-ta02-high-speed-gear-set-47393-00080919

I also switched to titanium turnbuckles (3Racing) and the high torque servo saver and hi cap dampers which are all nice to have but not essential. You can go nuts with upgrades if you want.

Search Top Force, Manta Ray, TA01 and TA02 (4 different searches) at rcmart as the parts are often compatible if you are looking for ideas...

• Like 2

Ah, the good ol' Manta Ray. A great choice!

Bearings and a steel pinion are a must, and an alloy motor mount will also help as the standard one has two little plastic pegs on it that break off easily even with the stock motor. The stock "coat hanger" propshaft isn't great, but might do for running on a stock silver can motor. I'd consider getting the upgrade pack that contains both the propshaft and the motor mount, as it is generally good value and cheaper than buying the parts separately. And I'd also go for the all-plastic gearset for better wear characteristics.

Does the re-re Manta Ray come with all-metal dogbones, or the ones with the plastic balls and metal shafts? If the latter, swapping them for all-metal ones is a good idea as the plastic balls break off quite easily.

• Like 1

The re-re Mantaray 2005 had the original plastic end dogbones

The recent rerere version replaced them with all Metal thundershot ones

• Like 1

On tamiya website, it says the hi speed gear set cannot be used with the Manta Ray?

1 hour ago, burakol said:

On tamiya website, it says the hi speed gear set cannot be used with the Manta Ray?

Yep it says that. Its working fine in my one...

• Like 1

Darn it... 

Pulled the trigger anyway... I got the kit from AsiaTees as they have the least prices of all. Used PayPal so I should be ok in terms of any fraud protection. Site looks legit and they carry a massive amount of parts from both 3rd party brand and manufacturer. 

I'm hoping someone else from the forum have ordered from them before as well?

Shipping cost was the most reasonable of all sites I've checked... $38 bux to my door via FedEx... could have been less if their regular post is in operation but due to the Covid crisis, HK post has suspended their shipping to the US. 

I've also ordered the ball bearings and added extra 4 of the 5x8x2.5mm size since the kit they sell only had 22pcs. I wasn't sure if that was a complete set or it was missing 4 more so I took the liberty of addings 4 more... 

Total from HK to Eastern Seaboard of the US was $140.67 for the Kit and ball bearings. Now time to think of how to slowly tell my wife... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, tamiya3speed said:

I have used them quite a bit over the years.  I wouldn't be worried.

Thanks.

For the steel pinion, what size/measurement should I get? I do plan on eventually running it on no less than 13.5t brushless using the TBLE02s ESC. is it .6 module or a 48pitch? Aren't those two sizes different and I'd be weary to use the wrong size... I saw a 48P 19t steel pinion on the same site where I bought the kit and I was hoping to buy everything I need to save on the shipping... I think I cans till ad some items with the order as long as it hasn't shipped... 

Unfortunately, they don't have an upgraded propeller shaft in stock... 

You need a mod .6 pinion, 48p look very similar but they are different enough to cause problems. 

Yeah Racing do some hard coated aluminium ones for a good price, a few dollars each.  I have been using them for a few years and have no issues.  I would buy a couple, the motor mount allows 6 pinions 16T - 21T, I would buy a few so you have some options in case you end up with overheating issues.  The manual shows the FDR for the pinions (well I assume it does since the Top Force one does).  You may want to get the high speed gearset too for brushless, the highest you can get with the kit gear is 8.59 with the 21T pinion which is quite high for a 13.5T, that would suit more like an 8.5T motor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You need a mod .6 pinion, 48p look very similar but they are different enough to cause problems. 

Yeah Racing do some hard coated aluminium ones for a good price, a few dollars each.  I have been using them for a few years and have no issues.  I would buy a couple, the motor mount allows 6 pinions 16T - 21T, I would buy a few so you have some options in case you end up with overheating issues.  The manual shows the FDR for the pinions (well I assume it does since the Top Force one does).  You may want to get the high speed gearset too for brushless, the highest you can get with the kit gear is 8.59 with the 21T pinion which is quite high for a 13.5T, that would suit more like an 8.5T motor.

I was able to get a 18t and 19t pinion added to my order... what is the stock pinion size that came with the kit? 

6 minutes ago, burakol said:

I was able to get a 18t and 19t pinion added to my order... what is the stock pinion size that came with the kit? 

21T for the Top Force.  I assume the Manta Ray will be the same but not 100% sure.  That gives you 3 ratios

21T - 8.59

19T - 9.49

18T - 10.02

Do you think I will encounter any overheating issues with the stock silver can if I run it on 18t? 

3 hours ago, burakol said:

Do you think I will encounter any overheating issues with the stock silver can if I run it on 18t? 

No, that will be undergeared if anything. I would run the 21T pinion with the silvercan

• Like 1

I agree with the above. I run a 21T pinion with a Sport Tuned and had no overheating issues so far, even during the summer. That may be a bit pushed, but there should be zero issues with the silvercan.

• Like 1

Thanks... I was thinking of the gearing the opposite way... i might use my Torque Tuned that came from my GF01 instead of the silvercan... I can actually use the 18t and replace the aluminum stock on my GF01 with the one I just bought while waiting for my HW1060 to come in and put my old school Endoplasma motor in it... As for the Manta Ray, I might just run it sparingly and try to keep it pristine (maybe?)

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

Just awaiting servos to start my manta ray build 

got mine from tamico for €120

JJ

According to FedEX, I should get mine tomorrow. I was able to buy the kit and bearings with it... I have a spare basic servo somewhere so I need to find that... 

My bearings came before the manta ray 

Servos were posted Royal Mail 6 days ago :(

im using hermes 24 for my shipping - £5 for a massive package 

JJ

My order is coming from Hong Kong. With the Covid crisis, getting the package within a weeks time is superb. It tried to contact Tamico but their shipping cost to the US negates the price of the kit. 

Got a slight delay. Order was supposed to be received Friday but it now says Monday (4/20). I think there was a bottleneck in the port of exit. Either way, getting it on less than a week's time from HK with a reasonable priced shipping cost is a good deal. Plus the price of the kit itself was too good to pass. 

Does the Tamiya part number on your rere kit specify the original stock number or the rere number? 

When I was checking the Manta Ray I ordered, I noticed that the honeycomb chassis is stamped to have the original stock number and not the 2018 one - 58087. Just curious. 20200422_141720.thumb.jpg.999d8ccff62b55d2beec4c1577532970.jpg