Sign in to follow this  
bugster_man

Newbie: Tyre sizes guide?

Hi folks,

I hope you can help me out, as I start to think, I'm too dumb for this.
Can anyone guide me to general tire sizes and measurements? I seem to be unable to make the correct measurements and select tyres accordingly.

One example: I bought a Blitzer Beetle used which is running Proline Caliber Tyres on stock rims. Rears: https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/caliber-t-2.2-m3-soft-off-road-truck-rear-tires.asp. So as I will need some new tyres soon (I love driving the BB), I was searching for tyres, I like. And just out of curiosity, I measured the rim and tyre. And noew here is what I struggle with: none of my measurements on the car do fit any spec of tyres I find on the web.

The calibers for instance:
my measurement:  outer diameter: 100mm, width: 50 mm
from proline webpage specs: outer: 102 mm, width 53 mm
One could argue new tyres would have the 102 mm. 

The rims:
my measurement: diameter: 61,5 mm, width 50mm 
being a 2,2" wheel, the diameter should be 55,8 mm (2,2 inch * 25,4 mm/inch)

And now I struggle: the rim says it s 2,2" but effectifely has 61,5 mm. How should I now search for new tyres and find some that fit?

Same somewhat applies to my other cars hence I'd like to understand the general concept behind RC car tyres (I have completely understood the concept for 1:1 cars btw)

Note: backgroud is, I have gotten 2 sets of rims with the car and recently aquired a 3rd set from a BB chrome edition. Hence the plan is to equip each set with different tyres good for tarmac, off-road, beach usage.

Any 2.2" stadium truck style tyres will fit. I run schumacher Vee4 on the rear of my blitzer wheels and schumach stagger rib truck fronts. Proline Dirt Paws also fit.

Most 2.2 tires will fit the Blitzer wheels. Be aware that there are 2.2/3.0 tires out there  and they will NOT fit. Also, there are a lot of crawler tires that are 2.2 diameter but are much skinnier than the typical 50mm.  Those will likely not work either. 

Terry

10 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Most 2.2 tires will fit the Blitzer wheels. Be aware that there are 2.2/3.0 tires out there  and they will NOT fit.

Hi,

thanks so far. But that is exactly the things that confuse me: it is 2.2" but somewhat not really, so will not fit. What does the 3.0 mean?

The 2.2 3.0 are short course wheels like the slash.  Outside diameter is 2.2, inside is 3.0.  It gives you a lower profile tire, but still has the scale look of a high profile real tire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bugster_man said:

How should I now search for new tyres and find some that fit?

the plan is to equip each set with different tyres good for tarmac, off-road, beach usage.

I’m a tire addict and I’m always looking for cool 2.2 tires to use on my Bush Devil. 

I do most of my tire hunting on EBay where I search for “vintage 2.2”.  

Most of my tires are vintage proline. I also have a set of vintage Losi and a set of vintage Imex tires. 

There are other brands out there that will fit. HPI, J-Concepts, etc. 

Just look for tires about 50mm, or 2”, in width.  Also look for “truck” rather than “buggy”, and if you do look at buggy, make sure it’s not the generally skinnier front tire.

Here is a list of tires I use for various surfaces, and all of these will fit the Blitzer wheels:

Beach: Proline Sand Paws rear and Losi ribbed front. I also have a set of Proline Edge tires but they’re still NIB. 

On-road:  Proline Road Hawgs front and rear.  Proline Road Rage is another good set. Also Proline clay tires like Electron should work well on asphalt. 

Off-road:  Imex Claw Dawgs (my fave), HPI mud thrashers (currently fitted), proline dirt hawgs, mashers, calibers, gladiators, Blackfoot tires. Lots of choices here. 

Good luck!

Terry

3 hours ago, bugster_man said:

Hi,

thanks so far. But that is exactly the things that confuse me: it is 2.2" but somewhat not really, so will not fit. What does the 3.0 mean?

Here are some 2.2/3.0 wheels. As you can see in the side view, the outside of the wheel is 2.2” while the inside is 3.0”. This is to fit around steering knuckles, etc.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/proline-split-six-beadloc-short-course-front-wheels-black-red-2-pro2714-04/p145497