4stroker

DT-03 Bearings

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm in Australia and alot of places aren't shipping at the moment which is making this harder.

I'm getting my DT-03 kit from rcmart.com and I want a full set of ball bearings on hand when I build it.

I believe I need 14 in total for this buggy.

This kit from rcmart looks good, but it is metal seals isn't it?  And being an off road buggy I would've thought I'd want rubber seals?

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1150-ball-bearing-16pcs-54579-00039079

Any thoughts on this kit?

https://au-fasteddybearings.glopalstore.com/tamiya-neo-fighter-dt-03-sealed-bearing-kit/

How about this kit from Australia:

https://plaig.com.au/product/tamiya-dt02-dt03-complete-bearing-kit/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

fast eddie is what u want. simple prob a couple dollars more but is correct. i cant say anything as u are in Austrailia, maybe rcmart is chaeaper with shipping

What about buying Yeah Racing bearings when you order the kit? That link to the Tamiya kit is just 16 1150s.

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-rc-ptfe-bearing-5x11x4mm-10pcs-yb6014b-s10-00001611

You can get 10 rubber and 10 metal shields and spend half the amount. I would use the metal shields in the gearbox and rubber for the wheels, and anywhere else that is exposed like the outdrives. I buy these bearings and just keep a stock on hand now rather than buy them in kits for a new build

• Thanks 1

Have you already bought the kit from rcmart? If not add them to the order. Get a steel pinion as well.

If you have already placed the order for the DT03, get the bearings from Trevor Plaig if he is shipping.

6 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What about buying Yeah Racing bearings when you order the kit? That link to the Tamiya kit is just 16 1150s.

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-rc-ptfe-bearing-5x11x4mm-10pcs-yb6014b-s10-00001611

You can get 10 rubber and 10 metal shields and spend half the amount. I would use the metal shields in the gearbox and rubber for the wheels, and anywhere else that is exposed like the outdrives. I buy these bearings and just keep a stock on hand now rather than buy them in kits for a new build

Are you placing any local orders Jon? Can't seem to buy anything anywhere 😐

44 minutes ago, berman said:

Are you placing any local orders Jon? Can't seem to buy anything anywhere 😐

I haven't since the level 4 lockdown started but have received stuff since then. My rcmart orders are taking forever tho, it appears that HK is the problem, not local shipping. The last local order was paint and hicaps from speedi.

I checked a few places yesterday cos I need another servo for my lockdown yacht and none had notices saying they can't ship but I bet they would just take my money and wait until they can send it. Ross at rcnz has a notice saying he can't ship atm

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I asked this same question on a few aussie facebook rc groups and got an overwhelmingly positive response re Plaig, so I will probably go with them.

Yeah I got impatient and ordered the rcmart kit already.  I can't decide whether I'm being sensible and doing hardly any/gradual hop-ups, or if I'm doing EVERY hop-up from the start...

I emailed Tamico and they replied and said they can't ship at the moment, same with Tony's Tamiya parts, which is understandable of course.

Whatever I get I want to pop the seals out, degrease, and re-oil.  Besides some proper RC-specific bearing oil that I probably can't get, what else can I use for high speed bearing oil that is more readily available? 

How about Teflon road-cycling chain spray?

That's odd as I just got a few things shipped from Tony's tamiya parts off ebay and they shipped no problem.  I haven't heard back from tamico but I really want to order a kit from them.

8 hours ago, A-Baum said:

That's odd as I just got a few things shipped from Tony's tamiya parts off ebay and they shipped no problem.  I haven't heard back from tamico but I really want to order a kit from them.

I order a kit from Tamico on Friday, and have just had an email to say it's just been shipped.

I'm in the US.  Still haven't heard from tamico and it's been 2 business days.  I'd like to at least have them tell me they can't ship to me.  Hey @toyolien care to be a shipping middle man??  heh.  

Finally heard back from Tamico.  They are unable to ship to US because of DHL restrictions.  I can't find anything on DHL site that confirms this but it is what it is.  Hoping they can hold one for me for when they resume.

So I had some back and forth with Tamico and I placed an order for a Novafox and they will ship it whenever they can.  I didn't think they would last too long and I wanted to get my hands on one. Now I have one reserved and paid for and will ship when possible.  Pretty jazzed about that.  I had a Fox for a very brief period when I was a kid.  Now I'll have one again.  Just not sure if I even want to open this box.  If I do open it and build it, I will REALLY want to run it but I don't want to run it so maybe I won't open the box.  Quarantine decisions...

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:54 AM, A-Baum said:

So I had some back and forth with Tamico and I placed an order for a Novafox and they will ship it whenever they can.  I didn't think they would last too long and I wanted to get my hands on one. Now I have one reserved and paid for and will ship when possible.  Pretty jazzed about that.  I had a Fox for a very brief period when I was a kid.  Now I'll have one again.  Just not sure if I even want to open this box.  If I do open it and build it, I will REALLY want to run it but I don't want to run it so maybe I won't open the box.  Quarantine decisions...

Just finished mine today ! 

39BD6395-A5B8-49A8-BFE0-56A4B9C0610B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 5:29 AM, 4stroker said:

Besides some proper RC-specific bearing oil that I probably can't get, what else can I use for high speed bearing oil that is more readily available? 

How about Teflon road-cycling chain spray?

Ah, another man wants maximum mechanical efficiency! 

If it's plastic safe, why not?  

I use plastic safe Teflon grease designed for model trains.  Labelle 106 is teflon grease.  

ENGukFD.jpg

Most bearings have gobs of grease that's preventing the balls from running efficiently (below is Tamiya metal bearings).  Drowning the balls in grease is necessary, if it's going to see lots of dirt or water.  But if it's going to be installed inside and kept dry, this much grease won't help.  On a rare occasion, this grease became dried and sticky like frozen bacon grease, it won't even turn (as thick as they are, Tamiya bearings won't do that).  

hTxFz2o.jpg

So I scrape off supplied grease and use Labelle 106 or 108.  (Labelle 106 really shines is on gears, DT03 only has 3 gears. If you are building Dynahead, I'd definitely recommend Labelle 106. The friction you can reduce from 36 gears is substantial)  

aftb5MR.jpg

As you can see above, Labelle 106 is already thin but 108 is thinner.  Labelle 108 isn't teflon, so I often mix it with 106. kVBD7MO.jpg

There are many bicycle lubes that are plastic safe. They should work well.  There are lithium ones that leave white gunk, you might want to avoid those.  If you are going to use it strictly on the inside, a drop of any machine oil (even oil used for sewing machine) would work too.  You could put some on a clean bottle cap, lift a drop with a straightened paper clip or a needle, and apply it. 

Not everything is as plastic-safe as they claim to be. I would check out the reviews before buying anything.  (I have used "plastic safe" Tokyo Marui silicone oil too. But that warped a big ring gear on a helicopter)  

Of course, you must put on rubber shields back on where outside air touches.  Below, I used "naked" ball bearings for the gears. They won't see dirt.  Except where output shafts go through the gearbox; they have the rubber shields.  I also sealed the gearbox with plumber's faucet grease to block water and dirt. It wipes off easily when you want to remove it. Gears are all greased at this point.   

Ym6XyDo.jpg

e0fuARQ.jpg

Bearings for internal gears can be lightly oiled.  But I'd use grease on axles.  While 1kg isn't much for humans, 1150 bearings have tiny balls.  They have to bear something that's a thousand times heavier than themselves.  So I would avoid light machine oil or chain oil for rear axles, and use grease.  If the bearings come with a lot of grease, you might take some off, but leave some.  For the front of DT03, it hardly gets any weight, so you can use light oil if you want.  

If your motor doesn't have bearings, oil the motor shaft often.  That can save a lot of friction. After all, the motor shaft turns the most. 

• Like 2