Bromley

Rere Hotshot...must do hopups?

Picked up a rere Hotshot kit Saturday.

It's actually a really big deal for me...my first Tamiya 4wd buggy...ever!

I was planning on getting a Boomerang but my local hobby shop couldn't get one. They did have the Hotshot in stock and at the old pricing. So... one thing and another...and yeah, I have a Hotshot. After all, why not start at the beginning of Tamiya's 4wd story.

I'm planning on running a brushed 23t or 17t on 2s, depending how it performs.

I'm not looking for interstellar performance, just a nice retro blend of funky handling and fun.

I have got bearings coming and a steel pinion. What if any upgrades are an absolute must?

• Like 2

I have just done bearings to my Boomerang and thats it. I don't see the point in doing anymore to these old cars, just run them as they were and don't expect them to handle like a new one.

They are pretty bulletproof though, can easily handle decent power. The Super Stock 23T motors or a 13.5T brushless go well in them

• Thanks 1

What superstock motor do you use, RZ or BZ?

And what is the difference between the two?

• Like 1

I think bz is for off an roader and a rz is for on road? I think there is a 1000rpm difference in them with the rz the more rpm 27000(ish) if I remember? Someone more clued up about them will probably correct me (and please do as I'm not an expert on these motors) but I think I'm correct?

• Thanks 1

I have a TZ in my Top Force and an RZ for my Super Astute. I think the TZ and BZ are the same but they call the BZ the offroad one and charge more for it. The RZ has different brushes and 1000rpm more 

In real life, I think they perform the same but I'm no expert

• Like 1

Maybe some crp spikes tires or a fiberglass battery door...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skinned said:

Maybe some crp spikes tires or a fiberglass battery door...

I love the look of the hotshot, don't want to mess with the aesthetics too much...

I was after suggestions for parts that needed changing to improve reliability.

I'm guessing that the hotshot doesn't have any desperate short comings.

Other than an ageing design...

The fibreglass battery door does improve reliability, it reduces chassis flex, you could also fit the Supershot undertray and stiffen the chassis that way

• Thanks 1

I'd go superstock or something similar, nimh or lipo, bearings and go have fun

in terms of reliability - there's a whole bunch of spares available for it, so if it breaks, so what? fix and continue!

• Thanks 1

I think I'll stick to the gear differentials thanks. Not planning on doing much racing with it.😂

Might take it to a club night when we get the green light. Just for a laugh though.

I'm using a Sport Tuned motor with a NiMH battery on mine.  I did bearings during assembly and have been very pleased with it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recommendations chaps.

Just waiting on bearings now, then the build can commence.

Right then...I've built my Hotshot chassis. 

Really chuffed with the build, more fiddly than some of the other kits I've built and I can see maintenance being a chore.🙄

But one thing that's bothering me...I've followed the manual as far as I can tell to the letter, but I had to compress the rear shock 6-7mm to get it installed.

This puts significant preload in the rear suspension. The preload collar is wound right back. The back end seems very firm.

I wondered if the dimensions given for the ballrod are a little off, I have set it to 28mm as the manual states.

Have I done something wrong or is that normal for the Hotshot?

3 hours ago, Bromley said:

Right then...I've built my Hotshot chassis. 

Really chuffed with the build, more fiddly than some of the other kits I've built and I can see maintenance being a chore.🙄

But one thing that's bothering me...I've followed the manual as far as I can tell to the letter, but I had to compress the rear shock 6-7mm to get it installed.

This puts significant preload in the rear suspension. The preload collar is wound right back. The back end seems very firm.

I wondered if the dimensions given for the ballrod are a little off, I have set it to 28mm as the manual states.

Have I done something wrong or is that normal for the Hotshot?

Can you take a photo?  I don't recall any issues there but it's been quite a while since I built mine.  FWIW, they are pretty stout.  Not a lot of maintenance required.  ;)