toyolien

Wild Willy 2 10th Anniversary Edition

No, this isn't an Anniversary Wild Willy edition by Tamiya. This is my Wife's idea as a build to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary. She suggested that as it's our 10th Anniversary in 2 months time that we (means me) should build a Tamiya vehicle that could have the two of us as driver/passenger figures. After some deliberation we settled on the Wild Willy 2. Partly because I had already amassed a pair few parts, and partly because I thought it would be a good body to add a second seat and figure to.

So, here's goes my attempt.

I made a start on the chassis but soon discovered that I was missing the front suspension arms. Consequently I didn't get that far.

ZvDjHig.jpg

I've added the optional upper arms from Tamiya that give a few degrees of camber front and rear. These are very nice, machined, pre-threaded pieces.

Easobcm.jpg

Mv6Vrbv.jpg

While I wait for the front arms from JK-RC I decided to make a start on the body. A while ago I bought a complete Willy body with an additional hacked up body. This would be perfect to rob the second seat from.

bzdeHVV.jpg

lOvxlJo.jpg

After a lot of filing and sanding it fits a treat, with only 2 small gaps to fill in.

RjBbl2D.jpg

b5dFpT8.jpg

As I've done before when I built up an RC4WD Hilux interior, I used MEK to join the pieces together. As long as you use the same material as the body for any repairs or add-ons the MEK will melt the joints together forming a bond as strong as the body itself.

gkAbMOp.jpg

Here's the scratch built interior I made using MEK and styrene sheets.

hi94gii.jpg

kHJ56gm.jpg

And, here's how the joints look on the Willy.

NIATut7.jpg

And lastly I made a start on the fill in pieces. Only managed one for tonight.

LQ5BWGU.jpg

RdwVY1z.jpg

More coming soon. Thanks for looking.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Loving the craftsmanship. I particularly love using original parts to do some customising. Very much looking forward to seeing this. Great work! 

Smart idea and good progress :)

I’ve just finished my first wild willy 2 :)

On 4/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, mman2005 said:

Loving the craftsmanship. I particularly love using original parts to do some customising. Very much looking forward to seeing this. Great work! 

Thanks very much.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:41 AM, Re-Bugged said:

That scratch built interior is outstanding 👍🏻

Thanks. I learnt a lot doing that interior. I got frustrated at times, but it was good to persevere and finish it.

On 4/18/2020 at 8:08 PM, Ad Lav said:

Smart idea and good progress :)

I’ve just finished my first wild willy 2 :)

Thanks. Willy's are great.

• Like 1

As usually happens with my builds, I get carried away and forget to take pictures of the progress. I did take few, but have missed some bits out, so my description will have to do.

I didn't like that the back of the fuel can was open, so started filling it in. I used some scraps of a cut up Willy body so that it would bond nicely to the can.

1jNT6le.jpg

vTDOcqp.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of it finished but it's turned out great. There will be a pic of it later on once the paint has dried.

Next I made a start on the figures.

r6bcHnM.jpg

Jump now to the figures having been assembled. I also decided to add little (or large) 'detail' to make my wife's figure look more, well, womanly... I also wanted the drivers (me) head to turn with the wheels. I found an old micro servo and hot glued it in the back of the figure.

5mggK9b.jpg

RwkM4ap.jpg

f2zPswT.jpg

And here's where I'm up to as of today. Body is painted and mostly assembled. I've just got the rear panel to bolt on once the fuel can is ready, and some final detailing to do on the body.

N96opBc.jpg

Q4DBSTR.jpg

YoLWLe7.jpg

yMsSbNI.jpg

hYr8WtJ.jpg

z9ah5xk.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

Jump now to the figures having been assembled. I also decided to add little (or large) 'detail' to make my wife's figure look more, well, womanly...

hYr8WtJ.jpg

Ha ha - with a rack like that, I have been tempted to make more of an open collar overall for her I think... ;o)

Excellent work!

Jenny x

• Haha 4

Sorry Jenny, I missed your comment. Thanks for the compliment. My Wife said that it was probably best to keep them covered up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1