M06Guy

M-06 Suggested Mods?

Newly back in the scene with a Eunos M-06 kit.

Are there any mods/hop-up's that are considered a "must"?

I want to do everything in the best possible way on the build up.

Thanks!

Bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion are all highly recommended, ballraced alloy steering and an alloy motor plate are also nice additions, and some people also highly recommend a front shock tower that allows a more upright shock position, although with the low nose of the Eunos shell, I'm not sure what your options are in this regard. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Turnip.

What would you say are the best shocks?  I'm not competing or anything. 

2 hours ago, M06Guy said:

What would you say are the best shocks? 

Tamiya CVA's - mini - are great for bashing. Yeah racing alloys get good reviews too. You'll need them to be 50mm eye to eye if my memory serves me right. Alloy Tamiya's are awesome but spend if you're racing.. M-06 are awesome... 

DSC_0001

Ball races, alloy motor mount, alloy steering with hi torque saver and sway bars. Only the ball races and hi torque servo saver I'd have bothered with to be fair. I already had the shocks, they're over 20 years old! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, M06Guy said:

Thanks Turnip.

What would you say are the best shocks?  I'm not competing or anything. 

Tamiya Super Mini CVA shocks fit nicely for road and track use, and the slightly longer Mini CVAs are a good choice if you want to raise the ground clearance for rallying.

If you'd like something a bit flashier, Yeah Racing Shock Gear alloy shocks are great value, 50mm for road and track, 55mm for rally.

The best shocks are of course Tamiya TRFs, but these are expensive and IMO overkill for anything other than high level competition use. 

• Thanks 1

+1 on the Yeah shocks. I've used them quite a bit, and have been absolutely satisfied. For repair and maintenance, TRF plastics work perfectly, and are of slightly better quality, although the Yeah parts are perfectly adequate. After using six sets of Yeah shocks, I wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything. I'd say that they are nicer than MST shocks, which cost more than twice as much.

• Thanks 1

Can I post a laundry list of hop-up's and you guys tell me which ones are nicely functional and which are just bling?  Also, which ones are overkill?

I was buying some wheels from a Japanese seller on eBay and went down quite a rabbit hole.  Are these all good choices or WAY overboard?

1. Tamiya #42291 - Big Bore Dampers

2. Tamiya #53333 - Touring Spring Set (Short)

3. 3Racing Servo Saver

4. Tamiya #54195 - Aluminum Turnbuckle Steering Rod

5. Tamiya #54237 - Low Friction King Pins 

6. Tamiya #54183Re-enforced Freewheel Axle Set

7. Yeah Racing Aluminum Steering Set w/ball bearings

8. Tamiya #53509 - Hard Fluorine Coated 0.6 Aluminum Pinion 20T/F201

9. Tamiya #53295 - Stabilizers/Sway bars

I appreciate all of the guidance.  I'm trying to get everything prior to my build so I can have it all and not back track.

Thanks again!

If you buy those BIgBore damoers you dont need the touring car spring set. There will be supplied 3 kinds of springs if I am right with the dampers. At least in my 54000 Dampers they were. By the way, I bought Tamiya 54000 Dampers and they are amazing.

but I fancy the Big Bore set also. They were just a tick more expensive.

also if the spring set is not for the BB dampers it may not fit at all.

Rather go for a steel pinion then the F201 pinion.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M06Guy said:

Can I post a laundry list of hop-up's and you guys tell me which ones are nicely functional and which are just bling?  Also, which ones are overkill?

I was buying some wheels from a Japanese seller on eBay and went down quite a rabbit hole.  Are these all good choices or WAY overboard?

1. Tamiya #42291 - Big Bore Dampers

overkill for a car not raced. The 54000 set is perfectly fine and a little cheaper.

2. Tamiya #53333 - Touring Spring Set (Short)

not needed

3. 3Racing Servo Saver

I prefer the Tamiya version, never used the 3racing

4. Tamiya #54195 - Aluminum Turnbuckle Steering Rod

bling

5. Tamiya #54237 - Low Friction King Pins 

bling

6. Tamiya #54183Re-enforced Freewheel Axle Set

if you have to replace damaged fine, but not needed

7. Yeah Racing Aluminum Steering Set w/ball bearings

this is worth while,  again I prefer Tamiya version

8. Tamiya #53509 - Hard Fluorine Coated 0.6 Aluminum Pinion 20T/F201

always used Robinson Racing 20 tooth

9. Tamiya #53295 - Stabilizers/Sway bars

will help tame the 06, especially when combined with the 54000 shocks and carbon fiber shock towers.

I appreciate all of the guidance.  I'm trying to get everything prior to my build so I can have it all and not back track.

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

#54000’s are $20 cheaper.  Is it worth springing the extra $20 for the big bores?

What about Tamiya #54583 Front titanium coated ball shaft?Useful or bling?

Are carbon fiber upper shock mounts considered a must?

Thanks guys!

11 hours ago, M06Guy said:

#54000’s are $20 cheaper.  Is it worth springing the extra $20 for the big bores?

What about Tamiya #54583 Front titanium coated ball shaft?Useful or bling?

Are carbon fiber upper shock mounts considered a must?

Thanks guys!

I do not think so.  I have one set of big bores, and several 54000.  I have not noticed a difference.   

The shock towers are called out as a necessity to install the shocks, but I have managed to install with out.   They do help with handling quite a bit.

• Thanks 1

Also have 54000 on my M06 (no carbon towers though) and can highly recommend them, made a massive difference over the stock sloppy pogo sticks.

Would also recommend a tyre upgrade for the front if you have the S Grip rear, as it quite heavily understeers.

• Thanks 1

Honest to God I haven't even built the car yet and I'm addicted.  Brings me back to my youth in the 80's buying hop-up parts for my Subaru BRAT that I transformed into a Frog when I shattered the body one too many times :)

More questions:

There are two kinds of carbon fiber damper stays.  I assume if I go with the 54000's or the Big Bore that I need the damper stays specifically marked "For TRF"?

As far as the Robinson Racing 20 tooth pinion, can someone link me to the exact on which one I should get. Is it this one?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robinson-Racing-EXTRA-HARD-20-TOOTH-BLACKENED-STEEL-32P-PINION-5M-M-8620/311786813539?hash=item4897f13863:g:6PUAAOSwjDZYh29a

Again, I know how it is when there's a newbie asking a bunch on the forum but I really am learning and I do appreciate the help!

• Like 1

This pinion is in imperial measures marked as 32P, I am not a fan of mixing measuers on gears. My recommendation is to go for a 20T 0.6 Pinion.

u might not find it on ebay. Look on Tamico.com or RCMart.com

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the good advice.  I dropped a good $150 on the hop-ups/mods everyone suggested.  I did spring for the big bore shocks because I found them with only a $11 difference from the 54000's.   Everything is on the way from Japan.

Now I need to figure out which transmitter, receiver, battery and charger.  I know lipo is what everyone suggests but I like the idea of having a low maintenance battery.

• Like 2