slimleeroy

Marui shogun/ninja help

Hi all. Hopefully somebody can help me with a couple of queries.  

1.  Can anybody tell me what ballraces I need for the above mentioned cars and what sizes. 

2. When installing the ballraces, the manual states to use a plastic spacer rather than the metal one used when using the stock bushings. Is there anything else I can use or is this part essential.

Thanks guys

• Like 1

It was a while ago when I put bearings in my Ninja...

They are I believe not the same as tamiya size, but are standard millimeter sizes.

From the top of my head, bearing sizes are:
Outside, Inside, thickness
8mm, 4mm, 3mm (small bushing, typically at the geraboxes)
10mm, 6mm, 3mm (large bushings, typically at the wheels)

But simply measuring the axels and holes, or the old bushings that come out of it, will tell you that in more detail. Callipers would be handy.

2: You can use shim washers where the metal spacer sits. The whole point of the step is to prevent a washer from touching both the inner and outer race of the bearing at the same time, eliminating friction. If the correct metal part is unavailable, one option would be to use a bunch of 0.1 or 0.2mm thick shim washers to set the gearmesh correctly on the bevel gears. Use a couple until correct mesh is achieved. If the shim diameter touches the outer race too much, trim the shim diameter down with sciccors.

• Like 1

Thanks for this. The manual statesvwhen using ballraces, the plastic spacer should be used as opposed to the metal one when plastic bushings are fitted. ???

On 4/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, slimleeroy said:

When installing the ballraces

If its a new build, then you won't need this, but I made a puller to remove the bevel gears in the gear boxes, having been sat of the shaft for 30+ years, mine didn't want to budge! 

2020-04-21_06-16-36

• Like 1

Thanks guys. This has just been rebuilt I believe. Looks brand new. Can't wait to receive it.  Should be coming Monday or Tuesday.  I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas. This was my first ever car back when I was 13 and I am now 44.  Not seen one since then.   It's like new condition. 

Screenshot_20200425_200008_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200425_200016_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200425_200004_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

• Like 5

What a find! That looks brand new, even with the original box. Please post some more pics once received, like you, this was my first buggy when I was 13 (now 44). I still have my original which is in need to some restoration, but I plan to rebuild it as soon as I get some time and will probably order a new (replica) body shell.

14 hours ago, nginsb said:

What a find! That looks brand new, even with the original box. Please post some more pics once received, like you, this was my first buggy when I was 13 (now 44). I still have my original which is in need to some restoration, but I plan to rebuild it as soon as I get some time and will probably order a new (replica) body shell.

Still waiting on it coming from Belgium due to coronovirus slowing things down. Can't wait

Still waiting guys. Mondial relay which is part of the delivery journey in France have my parcel and they are still closed due to the ongoing pandemic. Hope to have it soon though. Was my first car also and I have just turned 45.  Fond memories of building it with my dad. Now me and my lad (who is now 14) can enjoy it again when it eventually arrives. 

Such an underrated buggy.  I used to race my friends Optima mid back in the day, his car used to beat me stock but I got myself a technigold for it and blitzed him. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a bearing set back then (around £40 even back then) and it wasn't long before the plastic bearings melted and destroyed the gearbox.  Lack of spares support in UK and no eBay was the end of the car. I still regret getting rid of it.  I replaced it with an original Ultima then an Ultima pro.

8 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

Such an underrated buggy.  I used to race my friends Optima mid back in the day, his car used to beat me stock but I got myself a technigold for it and blitzed him. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a bearing set back then (around £40 even back then) and it wasn't long before the plastic bearings melted and destroyed the gearbox.  Lack of spares support in UK and no eBay was the end of the car. I still regret getting rid of it.  I replaced it with an original Ultima then an Ultima pro.

I remember taking my first overseas trip to London at age 13 and finding a hobby shop in Camden who sold me a set of bearings for my Shogun, the upgrade was tremendous. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the running of the car 30-odd years later, when it finally arrives!

36 minutes ago, nginsb said:

I remember taking my first overseas trip to London at age 13 and finding a hobby shop in Camden who sold me a set of bearings for my Shogun, the upgrade was tremendous. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the running of the car 30-odd years later, when it finally arrives!

Thanks mate. I can't wait. It will be a very light run though for sure. I managed to get some hex hubs from shapeways so I can save the original wheels and tyres

What an absolute beauty! Looks like it was built yesterday - what a rare find. Enjoy, if not to run but just to look at and reminisce. Please post more pics or even a running video if you decide to crank it up.

• Like 2