DonLawson84

Kyosho wheel help

I pulled my old Kyosho raider pro out of my parents attic, the tires are dryrotted.  I was thinking of buying wheels and tires, but the front wheels have a 8mm round bore and most wheels i see are 12mm hex (12mm hex is what is needed in the rear).  I have been googlin for hours with no luck except for a few used Ebay finds.  

Any other makes or models use the 8mm bore front and 12mm hex rear combo?

Another option, do any manufacturers make a 12mm hex to 8mm adapter?  Or 12mm hex to 4mm with bearing?  

I do not build or mess with RC cars, so my knowledge of parts is minimal.  I built a rerelease blackfoot for my son and have this old raider I want to run with him.

Your best bet would be to remove the old tires from the wheels and buy new tires.  The Raider Pro stock yellow wheels are 50mm in diameter front and rear, so the re-release Kyosho Ultima tires will fit.

I do NOT recommend boiling the wheels to remove the tires from the wheels if they were glued with CA.   The wheels will likely warp and become ruined.  I ruined a pair of front wheels attempting to do this.  Instead, use pliers, side cutters, knives and a flat head screwdriver to remove the old tire and glue from the wheel.  Just don't gouge yourself in the process!

The re-release Ultima tire part numbers are:

Front: SCT001HB (hard compound) / SCT001MB (medium compound) / SCT001SB (soft compound) - Kyosho Ultima front tire (also used on re-release Scorpion)

Rear: OTT244H (hard compound) / OTT244M (medium compound) - Kyosho Ultima rear tire (also used on re-release Turbo Optima)

You can find these on eBay or Banzai Hobby (https://banzaihobby.com) or other shops in your area that you trust or know about could perhaps order them for you.

The re-release Ultima wheels (only available in white currently) should also fit the Raider Pro.   The re-release Ultima front wheels are designed for 4x8mm bearings just like the original so they will fit the Raider Pro.

From the re-release Kyosho Ultima manual (typo on rear tire part number in this pic - it is OTT244M, not OT224M):

image.png.077ca558723426377dd3ef61ba9d3050.png

18 hours ago, Champ85 said:

The Raider Pro stock yellow wheels are 50mm in diameter front and rear, so the re-release Kyosho Ultima tires will fit.

...uhmmm... the biggest buggy wheels back then were 1.9" and i believe the raider had smaller rear wheels; even the pro.

a full set of ultima re-re front & rear rims and tires will certainly work but tamiya sets will run cheaper and only require a different front bearing to fit. i don't know where 4x11mm are now but we had them back then. tower didn't have them... hmmm...

OP,

ignore my ***. just get ultima re-re front & rear rims and tires. i'm being stupid. time = $$$ anyway so take the easy route. :)

My raider pro had the original solid yellow wheels out of the box when my dad and I put the car together almost 30 years ago, they measured 2.09". I was tempted to order 2.2" tires but was not sure if they would work.

Wheels are measured inside the groove where the tire bead sits, not the outside edge.

The Raider Pro used 1.9" wheels on the front and rear.  (This box top picture taken without permission from user bcollection here on TamiyaClub via Google image search)

image.png.fff18203142b96d88773cb7481986b01.png

The original Raider used 1.9" wheels on the front and ~1.4" wheels on the rear. (My own picture)

image.png.c4ed5d57c3b64c931b2182e76ebbdd83.png

• Like 1

I have just used a raider for parts in a rocky build 

I can’t be bothered advertising parts etc but if you need parts let me know, they aren’t excellent condition but good to get car running 

all the best