PaulRC10

Vanquish prop shaft rubbing on upper deck

Hi all,

I could do with some tips on why my prop shaft is rubbing against the upper deck of my Vanquish runner.  Hopefully the pic shows it clearly enough. 

Thanks!

8093D0FC-BACA-4DE5-B3CB-46DDF4ADF58B.jpeg

Is the top rear gearbox cover cracked?

What condition is the motor plate plastic insert for the prop shaft ?

What condition are the gears and bearings in?

Vintage car so you never know how much run time it has had, I would guess a wear issue in the drivetrain or rear gearbox housing is cracked.

Hi Snappy,

I had just restored it, so a full strip down and rebuild.  I wasn’t thinking it could have been a cracked / broken part.  That said something is up, so I went at it this morning.  Discovered the motor was loose so removed and re-seated the upper deck.  All fine now, normal clearance.   So as you said it might be gear wear or a seating/position issue with the motor. I’ll put it back together and hope it’s not gear wear. Otherwise new gears.  :wacko:

Thanks!

• Like 1

Reassembly and testing has revealed gears slipping in the rear box.  Looks like it’s the one next to the diff.  As you said, vintage and worn.  Also spotted front left joint is slipping on the alloy hex, so front left wheel showing wobble/sip.  So a few bits to replace to get this running smoothly.  My first experience of worn gears.  :unsure:
Thanks for the help.