junkmunki

Best repro decals for bruiser.

I am at the point with a Bruiser restoration where i need to find decals. I would love to use originals, but i cant find any, so much as i dislike using repro stuff, thats is unfortunatly what has to happen.

Can anybody tell me who makes the best repro decals, and who can likely supply them for a Bruiser? I have looked at the re re decal set for the stripes, but it looks to me like the colour is lighter than on the original, is this the case?

One of the main reasons for wanting an original set, is that quite often the repro sponsor decals just dont look as good as the originals. I've found some repro stuff looses the fine detail of the original.

J

Definitely MCI goes without saying! this is a bruiser clone and the decals are from MCI they are 95% perfect the only drawback is the Hog just hasn't got quite the details that the original one has but still pretty much perfect!

20190707_214905.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moffman said:

Definitely MCI goes without saying! this is a bruiser clone and the decals are from MCI they are 95% perfect the only drawback is the Hog just hasn't got quite the details that the original one has but still pretty much perfect!

20190707_214905.jpg

Did you speak to Nathaneal about the decals. 

when I go my terra scorcher decals there were some variances 

MCI

eYXofuK.jpg

Original

OiyUZNG.jpg

I dropped him an email and he was really appreciative as no one had told him there were any probs with the decals.

after a week he’d reworked them and sent me a new set for postage only 

Old MCI vs new MCI

bXk6gsi.jpg

Now people will have no idea he reworked them. If he doesn’t know he can’t fix anything.

#justsaying ;)

JJ

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Did you speak to Nathaneal about the decals. 

when I go my terra scorcher decals there were some variances 

MCI

eYXofuK.jpg

Original

OiyUZNG.jpg

I dropped him an email and he was really appreciative as no one had told him there were any probs with the decals.

after a week he’d reworked them and sent me a new set for postage only 

Old MCI vs new MCI

bXk6gsi.jpg

Now people will have no idea he reworked them. If he doesn’t know he can’t fix anything.

#justsaying ;)

JJ

To be honest the quality wasn't bad enough that I really needed to mention it! If you put it next to my original bruiser then you could see a difference but it wasn't enough to bother me (the technigold decals he forgot to put in my order was more of a bummer but I didn't need them after all anyway)

Seemingly there isn't much option to find decals you could use for a Toyota Bruiser. Years ago when I was in the same dilemma you're in now, I ordered a set of the re-release to use the stripes and some other bits that they did not change from the ones from 1985. I was extremely disappointed not because of the color but with how much thicker the Re-Re decals were compared to the original ones. If the original Bruiser sheet could hardly stand stuck in the shapes of the Toyota body, then the new one would be near impossible to stick properly in place, which is what you see in almost every Bruiser nowadays. I just kept the hogs and logos for my truck, and I traded the sheet with a fellow TCer. It's terrible they even changed the windscreen and the radio dash decals!

There was a time when TamiyaClub offered decals. I wish I knew who made those in the UK, because at times they were better than the originals. I remember getting a set for the Toyota 4x4 pick-up and the stripes and small sponsors were all sharp and in perfect color. If anybody knows who or what company made those in the UK please let me know.

Also, I believe bruiserbuilder offered some decals in the States. They had truly top notch stuff for the truck, so I doubt their decals were poor. Might worth a look.

16 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

There was a time when TamiyaClub offered decals. I wish I knew who made those in the UK, because at times they were better than the originals. I remember getting a set for the Toyota 4x4 pick-up and the stripes and small sponsors were all sharp and in perfect color. If anybody knows who or what company made those in the UK please let me know.

I have seen the debate on the TC site usage forum, on the whole subject of repro decals, and i gather the powers that be have mellowed and allowed repro stuff to be traded on this site, but i never knew that Tamiya Club actually used to supply them.

J

21 hours ago, junkmunki said:

I have seen the debate on the TC site usage forum, on the whole subject of repro decals, and i gather the powers that be have mellowed and allowed repro stuff to be traded on this site, but i never knew that Tamiya Club actually used to supply them.

J

Oh, they did, and they were the best repro decals I've seen to this day.

Here's how they look. Must've been over fifteen years ago:

001-11.jpg

They were thin and the colors were spot on.

I now see they were vectorized. Here's some old thread: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14221-wild-willy-one-repro-decals-are-here/

2 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Oh, they did, and they were the best repro decals I've seen to this day.

Here's how they look. Must've been over fifteen years ago:

001-11.jpg

They were thin and the colors were spot on.

I now see they were vectorized. Here's some old thread: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14221-wild-willy-one-repro-decals-are-here/

Wow, I think those are a good enough reason to petition TC to start producing them again.

Come on TC admin, how about it? Those decals are great.

J

5 hours ago, junkmunki said:

Wow, I think those are a good enough reason to petition TC to start producing them again.

Come on TC admin, how about it? Those decals are great.

J

The Tamiya company won't let the Club do so, unfortunately. They basically want us to buy their new stuff instead.