chuch

Vintage Scraps + Re-release parts = Lancia Rally Build

Finally getting round to doing this build. 

I've had what looks like a brat chassis lying in my loft for years (in pieces) and I've always loved the original Lancia rally due to the well detailed body, martini livery and the cartoonish stance making it more nostalgic. 

So here we are... a few days ago I was scanning eBay, and decided the time has come... time to order a re-release Lancia 037 body shell. 

The treacherous road begins here... 

First batch of parts I've managed to find.

I believe the chassis could be from a brat as I when I bought it years ago it came with brat wheels mounted on it.  

Does anyone know where the aluminium shocks may have come from? 

DSC01800-edit.jpg

• Like 1

Update... started on assembly, looking at the grey plastic of the chassis and the discolouring, plastic flex and few hairlines cracks I figured keeping the patina of the vintage parts could cool? Because, surely a group B rally car has some battle scars right? quick wash down of parts and the build begins after rummaging for more parts. Decided not to polish or extensively clean the old parts to keep the patina as a used vintage car. Maybe that way if I decide to drive it I won't have OCD when it comes to getting it dirty... as all rally cars love dirt of course. 

Also received the re-release body earlier this week, and the detail is just gorgeous.

Thoughts to finish it? Im currently debating on whether I should paint it or not.... Martini livery or not? some pictures for now as I figure out which parts I'm missing... and which ones I need to source. 

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

DSC01838.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

• Like 1

The Martini livery is always a safe bet on the 037 (and most Lancias).

Other great looking rally liveries, right off the bat: the Grifone

Y6bqjIed8CzOzPOK78ty80XlrKbOV3pM8teqk1bQ

The Totip

lancia-037.jpg

The Esso

21359274949_6cffce73ed_b.jpg

It's such a beautiful Group B car, you can't go wrong!

The stradale is also a great option...

Lancia-037-Rally-Stradale-for-sale.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks @Ferruz, I had completely forgotten about the Esso! I remember seeing that livery on the S4 as a child and being gobsmacked. Definitely on the cards, I do love Black and Gold on race cars for some reason.... 

I have also been toying with the idea of doing a testing car build.. 

Been looking up on the 037 and some of the development cars looked fascinating 

Seems as though it was developed with different elements being tested even with the huge air inlet scoop on the rear screen. 

I'm actually searching to get a copy of that book from where the extract comes from... could be interesting 

161876_libro037ENG100-101.thumb.png.c2438dddf3e6478e8b2b35508ad01fc0.png

60368a4ab8552ec6658048edffb95727.jpg

corsa6.jpg

corsa8.jpg

corsa9.jpg

Gotta love black and gold on race cars! Speaking of that I've just finished an RC10 body in JPS livery, it's here in the builds if you wanna check it out.

Godd idea, the prototype. It would definitely be unique, and that rear inlet doesn't seem impossible to reproduce.

Check out this one, the EVO 3! apparently one of the last versions, weird back but kinda cool in a way..

71oJbT8yS+L.jpg

The drawing up on the left page is about a 4wd version that I don't think ever happened even as a prototype.

Speaking of testing cars, the very fist one off is also gorgeous, but you'd have to lower the external front lights and the stance wouldn't exactly be the same! This is the Lancia Abarth SE 037

44639229-2286287558108963-64244602322351

• Like 2

Update: Working through the parts and the manual at hand.... I attempted to figure out what parts I have and what parts I was missing. 

This didn't last long until I decided too build the car up and see what I have... and don't as it will be missing anyway. 

Definitely it was the more fun option. 

some photos I took whilst still contemplating on the final outcome.... 

It turns out I'm missing quite key components like the **** half shafts for drive :( quick look on eBay etc, turns out the vintage hex type are actually rarer than I thought.... 

Yikes.... add that to the gold dust never to be found wheels list.... my vintage build might need more modern parts than I hoped. (and the odd missing screw here and there, not so well substituted with whatever I had in my toolbox, I hope I manage to find them somewhere). 

Decided to throw in my Monster Beetle chassis in some photos which will be subjected to a re-build soon. I do like these ORV vehicles, I think the bug has bitten again. 

DSC01871 copy.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

DSC01873 copy.jpg

DSC01877.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 11:44 PM, chuch said:

Does anyone know where the aluminium shocks may have come from? 

The aluminium shocks are from the original Tamiya Frog.

J

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:36 AM, chuch said:

It turns out I'm missing quite key components like the **** half shafts for drive :( quick look on eBay etc, turns out the vintage hex type are actually rarer than I thought.... 

Look for the re re Brat or Frog half shafts. Although they are slightly modified from the originals, you will never see them inside the rubber boots anyway, and they are available.

You will need parts:

9808070/19808070 Drive shaft flanges

9808038/19808038 Drive shafts

9808039/19808039 Wheel flanges.

The whole lot can be bought of of ebay for less than £20

J

• Like 1