smirk-racing

help with tamiya xv-01 - something is skipping under hard acceleration

1 hour ago, Qyuss said:

Mate,

Do you mean the gears inside the diff skip? Did you have plastic or metal gears back then? Mine is the XV-01 TC Pro, and it has the metal gears from TA06. 

This issue is driving me nuts too.

I had the metal gears in there to, yeah I mean the gears in the diff skip maybe, but to be honest for me it was also a mistery where the sound came from, I had also bought alloy pulleys and reinforced beld but that did not help.

I now run ta-03 cars they are also beld drive car but there are nice and quiet without clicking sounds.

Cool! I still have my classic ta03f. It was my first RC, and I do take it out for a run sometimes, so I will never wanna sell it  A very handsome car, interesting - it is a tricky little thing to get used to drive. Yes, it never gives this skipping-thing issue even it has a 4.5T brushless at all times at 100%. My guess it is the front and rear ball diffs slipping releases some of the hard punches. 

I bought the xv-01 TC pro with the idea of buying an evolution of the ta03f. In opinion it still it an evolution in many ways - more precise, refined, easier to get used to drive. There is always little flaws here and there to fix, just like the ta03f too. I remember it took me a while to get rid of all the play in its steering, arms, shafts just so it is drivable, tensioning of the ball diffs to make it less twitchy. 

By the way, the idle gears front and rear don't look any sign of wearing at the pin location or the teeth. 

My first attempt was shimming out the gaps just so the idle, pulley/shaft and counter shaft don't move fore and back while keeping the origin plastic spacers. 

Second attempt was replacing all original plastic spacers with metal shims and spacers of different thicknesses and size, with the thick and big outer diameter right next to the idle and small ones (same diameter as the plastic ones) at the end next to the bearing. I would say this is the best I can manage - no gap, firm while still runs light and smooth. 

I will order a new set of idles and counter and see if that helps. Maybe my eye judgement isn't good, the teeth are worn and I don't see they are. 

2 hours ago, Qyuss said:

Cool! I still have my classic ta03f. It was my first RC, and I do take it out for a run sometimes, so I will never wanna sell it  A very handsome car, interesting - it is a tricky little thing to get used to drive. Yes, it never gives this skipping-thing issue even it has a 4.5T brushless at all times at 100%. My guess it is the front and rear ball diffs slipping releases some of the hard punches. 

I bought the xv-01 TC pro with the idea of buying an evolution of the ta03f. In opinion it still it an evolution in many ways - more precise, refined, easier to get used to drive. There is always little flaws here and there to fix, just like the ta03f too. I remember it took me a while to get rid of all the play in its steering, arms, shafts just so it is drivable, tensioning of the ball diffs to make it less twitchy. 

To be honest I like the ta-03 more then the xv-01, they are not far behind of the handling of the xv-01 but a lot more simple and easy to work on, the xv has a lot of tiny spacers for everyting and you want to go to the diffs you have to pull the whole car apart,  and I did not like the battery space in the xv-01 and door with srews  and little room for the esc and some more things I did not liked on it ,that with the clicking sound makes the dicision to sell it.

• Like 1

Totally agree on all these frustrations with the xv-01 haha..I hate the body partitions, never works! Do you run the ta03f, r, fs or rs? In rally form? On road? 

It may simply be that your belt is slipping. Over time it stretches out. With 3s it will probably stretch quicker. Increase the tension on it and try again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qyuss said:

Totally agree on all these frustrations with the xv-01 haha..I hate the body partitions, never works! Do you run the ta03f, r, fs or rs? In rally form? On road? 

I have an ta03f mercedes and a rere ta03rs that had a porsche body but that one is to much damaged and now it had an ugly toyota basher body on it  going to change the body to an m chassis vw t1 body that fits nice on the chassis.

I Have a lot of spare parts to build 2 other cars, I going to build a ta03fs with the parts, I  have a spare hpi peugeot 106 with the 237mm wheelbase for it.

I running them both on carparks tarmac, never have a problem with them and I had some high speed grip rols but nothing broke.

some pics of my ta-03rs when it had the porsche body on it

49792389366_ba123bb766_k.jpg

49792388436_32d76f8809_k.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

It may simply be that your belt is slipping. Over time it stretches out. With 3s it will probably stretch quicker. Increase the tension on it and try again. 

That would have been my guess too.  Though I'm yet to build mine, I think I'll keep to the silver can. 

Danny, Nice! I know right it is fun you can switch between f, r, fs and rs haha. True hobby kits. I only have the f although there is a little hybrid. Been thinking to get parts for making it into r. Sharing some photos both sitting side by side. 

Folks, Sure I will tension the belt gradually see if it helps. Tensioner is sitting at the middle of the slot now, and the belt feels taut. Also, I think maybe it is worth try pull the trigger while I am forcing the car still on ground with my hand, and hear where does the skips happen. 

IMG_20210611_124843.jpg

IMG_20210611_124927.jpg

IMG_20210611_131823.jpg

Here's a good thread by a guy who really seemed passionate about his XV-01:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a-3.html

He talks about adding a 2nd belt tensioner at the front of the belt, near the front gearbox. He describes what he does in the thread above (you'll have to pick through the thread and find the right post - I don't recall which one it was). He used the belt cover as the attachment point and just drive a screw through it, and mounted a couple of bearings on the screw. The tensioner he fabricated was not adjustable - it was just adding a fixed amount of additional tension.

I believe belt tension might be the issue, but I've not had time to look into it.