Andyrt200

Reinforced WT-01 driveshaft? Also body mounts for it.

We have just been bashing the CC-01 & CR-01 over the winter they have enough mods to just keep going now, so I haven’t been on here for a while. 

I did get round to at least getting them all on display spacer.png

With lockdown, lots of space at home & our own track we have been getting the others out more. 

My sons wide G6 keeps snapping drive shafts on hard landings though, it often will snap three at one time, it’s getting silly & I’m running out of spares! Am I going to have to be boring & take the brushless motor out or are there any uprated drive shafts for them? (Being a wide conversation its running WT01 shafts) 

The WT01 seems to cope with brushless power in general & goes a lot longer before maybe snapping one driveshaft. 

Also I haven’t looked very hard yet buy the parts tree with the body mount seems to be unavailable now, is that right? Sorry I expect that’s been covered before, but as I said I’ve not had time / cause to be on here for a while.  

I was snapping a lot of driveshafts on my wt-01,  I use hpi bullit 72mm center drive shafts now and i run them for years now no more breaking and zero wear on them

hpi  101234

• Like 1

I have never broken a drive shaft on one of these and I though I was rough.

Are they to tight and binding on full compression?

I seem to remember the DT-02 universals will fit but I would have to check.

3 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

They where not tight and binding on full compression, universals from dt-02 fit but I broke them to, the solution for me was the hpi dogbones they are strong and do not break and wear.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dannymulder said:

I was snapping a lot of driveshafts on my wt-01,  I use hpi bullit 72mm center drive shafts now and i run them for years now no more breaking and zero wear on them

hpi  101234

Perfect thanks, I’ll give those a try then :D

16 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

No binding, it’s mainly landing a jump still on full power with brushless motors, I just heard one snap as my daughter did it. She’s of average skill & takes some encouragement to drive them anyway so I don’t want to put her off. My son on the other hand has been perfecting his control of them in the air with the throttle & managed to combine that with coming off the power on landing & didn’t break any.  
Having quite a bit of diff putty to give it a stiff LSD effect is hard on the drive shafts too. My Super Blackfoot used to snap its drive shafts on every roll with a solid locked diff. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Andyrt200 said:

No binding, it’s mainly landing a jump still on full power with brushless motors, I just heard one snap as my daughter did it. She’s of average skill & takes some encouragement to drive them anyway so I don’t want to put her off. My son on the other hand has been perfecting his control of them in the air with the throttle & managed to combine that with coming off the power on landing & didn’t break any.  
Having quite a bit of diff putty to give it a stiff LSD effect is hard on the drive shafts too. My Super Blackfoot used to snap its drive shafts on every roll with a solid locked diff. 

I see, they are twisting. I guess big wheels and a semi locked diff will do that. 

I would pull the diff putty out of the diff. Jumps are super hard on drivetrains with geared diffs and no slipper clutch, the putty will be giving even less "give". I run my DT03 truck with those driveshafts and open diff and its been fine on track

Some googling suggests DF03 CVD axles work?

I'm interested myself as rather than break, mine tend to get spat out and they're not the easiest thing to find in uncut grass!!

On 4/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, Nobbi1977 said:

I see, they are twisting. I guess big wheels and a semi locked diff will do that. 

Yes sorry probably should have said that, it took me a while to work out that was the issue. To start with I thought they were getting bent by hitting things till I noticed the ends didn’t line up any more, the bending come from the twisting. My Thundershot has the same drive shafts & tends to bend them a lot more like that with it having smaller wheels. I think I’ve actually only snapped one in that in all our many crashes getting it up to just over 60mph for the speed runs! 

The WT01 isn’t too bad really it not that often it snaps them. It’s the G6 with them in that’s the main problem. The three “axles” are obviously all joined by the gearbox so there isn’t even a prop shaft that can give a bit, you often land front or back first so have the momentum of the other two axles still spinning added in too.

21 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Some googling suggests DF03 CVD axles work?

I'm interested myself as rather than break, mine tend to get spat out and they're not the easiest thing to find in uncut grass!!

Is it a GF01 that’s spitting them out? You reminded me I have found them not broken before, but I’m not sure which car they were from. I think it was probably from snapping something so the driveshaft could easily escape, probably Thundershot a long time ago, broken too much stuff over the years to remember!