Kooks

Wild Commando Nitro/Glow Truck - what is it worth?

Hi everyone,

Would you know how much my Wild Commando might be worth?  I bought it in 2003 and used it 3 times or so.  I have no idea if it works, though I have all the parts, instructions and controllers etc it came with.

I have it on e-Bay right now and within an hour of posting it for sale I was offered £100.  No idea if this is a steal for the buyer or if I should hold out.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Images below.

Cheers

Kooks

Wild Commando images.jpg

• Like 1

Just seen your listing, let it run if you've set a reserve you're happy with.

Prices I think at the moment are anybody's guess really, I've seen them go for peanuts and I've seen them sell well.

• Like 1

Thank you for this.  I agree with you and will see how it goes.  The reserve is only £75 at the moment and it is already at £61.  What is the best price you have seen it sell for?

Probably one of the worst promo videos by Tamiya when watching it now, but I really wanted this car back in the early 2000s. It is still a cool car, but probably more of a collectable than a runner? I don't think they sold too many of them, so they don't show up that often. I'm tempted to bid on your auction myself :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kooks said:

Thank you for this.  I agree with you and will see how it goes.  The reserve is only £75 at the moment and it is already at £61.  What is the best price you have seen it sell for?

No probs! As Simen says, the Terra Crusher and Wild Commando and really all the big Nitro trucks from Tamiya were probably not as well sort after as the competition. The FS-18 engine wasn't a particularly good runner, overheated, after some decent use fuel would start leaking out the back plate causing the starter one way bearing to slip. They'd run hot. No low speed needle and the biggest gripe for most....under powered but I think the lighter wheels sorted that a little bit on the wild commando.

You see HPI Savages get bid on like nuts but the big Tamiyas not so much. I reckon you'll get over £100 but that's only an educated guess. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simensays said:

Probably one of the worst promo videos by Tamiya when watching it now, but I really wanted this car back in the early 2000s. It is still a cool car, but probably more of a collectable than a runner? I don't think they sold too many of them, so they don't show up that often. I'm tempted to bid on your auction myself :D

OH MY GOD!  Watching this makes me want to keep it and use it!  I wish I knew how - I think I will have to buy a truck which works so I can do what they are doing in the video.  Thank you for sharing!  I would be happy to post the truck to Norway.  I currently have it on with postage in the UK for £18, though I suspect it will be a lot more to Norway.  Here is the link to the listing if you want to see it:  http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=264701976350&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Thank you for sharing the video, its so cool!

1 hour ago, rally1998 said:

No probs! As Simen says, the Terra Crusher and Wild Commando and really all the big Nitro trucks from Tamiya were probably not as well sort after as the competition. The FS-18 engine wasn't a particularly good runner, overheated, after some decent use fuel would start leaking out the back plate causing the starter one way bearing to slip. They'd run hot. No low speed needle and the biggest gripe for most....under powered but I think the lighter wheels sorted that a little bit on the wild commando.

You see HPI Savages get bid on like nuts but the big Tamiyas not so much. I reckon you'll get over £100 but that's only an educated guess. 

Oh wow, I had no idea.  I literally fell in love with it what I saw it and did no research or learned how to use it.  The listing seems to be doing well and you guessed right, it is already at £102 with 6 days to go so fingers crossed!

Though I do not have a comparison, from what I remember it was really powerful and tore up the ground etc, though again I have no comparison lol!  Thank you for helping out.

11 hours ago, simensays said:

Old thread, but might give you some info...

Thank you!

Get yourself something new and popular so that that there are loads of spares, support and community.

If you want something easy to run and want the 'engine' experience, a petrol R/C would probably be the way forward for yourself. Super Quick, incredibly reliable. Most use either CY or Zenoah engines so you can get spare parts all over the place. You basically break them in, tune them once and they go on and on and on and on.

Nitro's need tinkering, fettling, adjusting the tune for weather, humidity, fuel if you do it right so ideal for people who are into that, but if you just want fun to bash about with. HPI Baja, Losi 5ive, Maverick, MCD. Granted they are ALOT more expensive to initially buy but you will get longevity and enjoyment out of it. 

1 hour ago, rally1998 said:

Get yourself something new and popular so that that there are loads of spares, support and community.

If you want something easy to run and want the 'engine' experience, a petrol R/C would probably be the way forward for yourself. Super Quick, incredibly reliable. Most use either CY or Zenoah engines so you can get spare parts all over the place. You basically break them in, tune them once and they go on and on and on and on.

Nitro's need tinkering, fettling, adjusting the tune for weather, humidity, fuel if you do it right so ideal for people who are into that, but if you just want fun to bash about with. HPI Baja, Losi 5ive, Maverick, MCD. Granted they are ALOT more expensive to initially buy but you will get longevity and enjoyment out of it. 

I think I will, watching the YouTube video in the other post made me want to get one.  What type of price are the ones you recommended?  Also, are there any you can build from scratch so I can learn how it is all put together, which in turn, will help when I need to repair etc?

2 minutes ago, Kooks said:

I think I will, watching the YouTube video in the other post made me want to get one.  What type of price are the ones you recommended?  Also, are there any you can build from scratch so I can learn how it is all put together, which in turn, will help when I need to repair etc?

1/5th seem to mainly come RTR. I have a HPI Baja 5B SS which came as a kit but HPI Racing got into difficulty and are only just emerging from the other side with new owners who are getting production back up and running. The Baja is going to be the last to be re-introduced. Clones from China flooded the market place Rovan and KM mainly which kind of disrupted the market and I'm sure had some bearing how HPIs previous decline. 

The ones I listed before are genuine and personally I'd stay away from the KM/Rovan Clones.

My HPI Baja SS Kit with radio gear came to about £1,000. Like I said, expensive to get into but barely spend a penny except oil and fuel since!

4 minutes ago, rally1998 said:

1/5th seem to mainly come RTR. I have a HPI Baja 5B SS which came as a kit but HPI Racing got into difficulty and are only just emerging from the other side with new owners who are getting production back up and running. The Baja is going to be the last to be re-introduced. Clones from China flooded the market place Rovan and KM mainly which kind of disrupted the market and I'm sure had some bearing how HPIs previous decline. 

The ones I listed before are genuine and personally I'd stay away from the KM/Rovan Clones.

My HPI Baja SS Kit with radio gear came to about £1,000. Like I said, expensive to get into but barely spend a penny except oil and fuel since!

Oh wow I had no idea.  Quite an chuck of cash, though like you said it would be worth it because of the quality.  Is this the one you have:  https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112457

6 minutes ago, Kooks said:

Oh wow I had no idea.  Quite an chuck of cash, though like you said it would be worth it because of the quality.  Is this the one you have:  https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/112457

Yep that's the one :) They are going to release them again at some point but the new owners of HPI have come across some complex manufacturing and licensing issues but they have said it WILL be back but under a different part number. I have faith they wiill and personally if you want to build a kit, that'd be the one to go for when it comes back! In my opinion of course.

1 minute ago, rally1998 said:

Yep that's the one :) They are going to release them again at some point but the new owners of HPI have come across some complex manufacturing and licensing issues but they have said it WILL be back but under a different part number. I have faith they wiill and personally if you want to build a kit, that'd be the one to go for when it comes back! In my opinion of course.

Mate I will take the opinion!  Thank you!  I watched a few videos on YouTube and it looks epic, quite a big car too!  Are there any other body shapes which are more truck like or do they only do the buggy shape?

They look soooo good!  Good to know they are all kits too, going to be so much fun!  Yours must be excellent to run

1 minute ago, Kooks said:

They look soooo good!  Good to know they are all kits too, going to be so much fun!  Yours must be excellent to run

All of them were RTR apart from the Baja 5b SS, I thought one of the trucks was a kit too but it'd all be made clearer when they come out.

Yep mine is a beauty, takes serious abuse.

This was not long after I got it...

beach6.jpg

And this is how she sits today...(currently rebuilding it, giving it some love).

bajanow.jpeg

1 minute ago, rally1998 said:

All of them were RTR apart from the Baja 5b SS, I thought one of the trucks was a kit too but it'd all be made clearer when they come out.

Yep mine is a beauty, takes serious abuse.

This was not long after I got it...

beach6.jpg

And this is how she sits today...(currently rebuilding it, giving it some love).

bajanow.jpeg

What an epic shot on the beach!  Must have been so satisfying.  Looks like its in great condition, you going to upgrade it in any way or simply keep it tuned?

Over stock, it's got Hostile Rear Tyres and Silverback tyre beads, CPI Big Bore Exhaust Pipe (Loud isn't even a good enough word to describe it, shock limiters, heavier duty CV boots, Killer Bee Kill Switch (so you can kill the engine from the remote in case of a runaway situation), The windows and that's it. Got a pull start cover outerwears too just to stop grass and rubbish getting in that.

Sounds like an absolute beast!  Got any YouTube vids of it?  Proper looking forward to getting one to start playing around with it.  I have a Tamiya Bigfoot at the moment and playing around in the garden with it, so definitely looking forward to stepping it up!