taffer

Custom parts section

@netsmithUK

On the main page under resources, would you consider hosting a repository for 3d printed custom parts etc?

I know there's free mods on thingyverse (?) Etc but it would be nice if there was an option where people could upload them here with even a tab on the specific model page that would link to the files!

If space is an issue, tamiyaclub could start with a link and description etc

The link option would be useful for non free stuff on shapeways for example

We have movies so why not 3d printed files?

Thanks

• Like 1

I really like the idea people sharing 3D models to be printed out. What are the standard file formats that would be required?

• Like 2

On thingyverse the files are normally zipped up and can contain instructions, jpg's and the actual 3d printer file, typically .STL 

• Like 2

Brilliant idea. You people are welcome to all my  STL's from thingiverse :) 

• Like 4

Mmmm zip files are problematic from a security/safety  point of view (As basically people could stick anything in them) so might need to start off with just the STL files and some covering description.

Perhaps, before I go coding it all etc, you could set something up in the forum to see how many people would have things that they are happy to share for free?

• Like 1

Me? 🤣

I think if you posted the request it would have more gravitas?

• Like 1

I’m a strong believer is people taking charge with stuff like this at least taking it as far as they can. Works much better when someone who is close to it is pushing it and rallying the troops. (Otherwise I’d be swamped in people suggesting things that I do all the set up on only to find they then are not used ;) )