SimonL

M wheels vs TT wheels

I’m currently building a M-07R Kit and I’m a bit confused about the wheels that I should be using. I have some 60D tires on order from China, but locally I am limited to what I can buy in terms of M chassis specific wheels and tires. Can I just use regular 1/10 scale pre mounted tires? Diameter-wise there doesn’t seem to be too much difference , so will they just ‘look wrong’, or does that extra 2mm difference really cause a problem with rubbing etc?

It is more a case of what your scrutineers will allow. Using TC wheels and tyres was a popular trick at one point to help overcome the limited gearing of the M-03 back when it was the current generation M-chassis, but was soon disallowed by many clubs. So if you check what is allowed by the rules used wherever you plan to race it, you can go from there. 

• Like 1

Touring car tires are easy to get and make the car drive better on sidewalks and stuff. If you aren't racing, it's really convenient. They don't cause any issues at all. As for rub, it just depends on the body.

• Like 1

Great thanks. I am indeed restricted to the 60D tires for racing, but for testing etc, and until the 60D arrive,  I will use touring wheels

60D refers to the diameter of the tires and has nothing to do with the diameter of the rim. Any M-chassis rim will fit any M-chassis tire.

Pretty much every M-chassis tire is a 60D, with the exception of Sweeps. Those are 55D and (you guessed it) smaller. Tamiyacup and other club events usually will only allow 60D tires to prevent people from using the far stickier (and smaller) Sweep rubber and passing it off as a Tamiya tire.

TC tires should fit under an M-chassis, but you'll get into trouble if you try to get the ride height low enough to race, as they simply aren't made to do that. And on some M-chassis' the tires will hit parts of the chassis when turning.

Depends on what kind of body you use on that chassis?

for example on the Tamiya Swift 225mm body I could use touring car tires which are 65mm and the M03M did handle much much better.

while on the same chassis with a Colt Fabia WRC body there was no way to drive with the 65mm wheels as they could not be mounted at all on such a body.

so basically it all depends on the body trim.

For example on my Fiat Abarth 1000TCR from tamiya only 55mm wheels can fit and that is really tight.