taffer

Custom 3D parts on tamiyaclub?

Before @netsmithUK starts coding and modifying tamiyaclub for this, it would be great to guage if there is any enthusiasm for the idea.

The premise would be that custom 3d printed designs from members could be held by tamiyaclub, uploaded like movies, adverts etc.

So free stuff that you may have uploaded to thingiverse, you could also upload to tamiyaclub, shapeway items that are not free, hopefully you would be able to link to the item or your shop. 

If you have a demonstration video on YT, the link could be on here as well!?

It's just another way of trying to keep everything together in one place for easier access.

There are so many items on other sites it can take quite some time to track down parts and ideas!

Maybe for free designs there could eventually be a donate button to your PayPal or a charity as a way for us to say thank you for your generosity.

Maybe this could lead to more commissioning of parts and mods as the section expands.

I would personally like a tag system which if the part was for a hornet then when you went to the hornet's main page the mods would show up there.....

There are probably many more ways and ideas to implement this but I thought "we have movies, why not 3D parts!?"

If this is something of interest please leave a comment below for netsmith to monitor the responses, it might become a reality!

@Pintopower @miniguy77@Hobgoblin@Toykid

• Like 7

I think having a stock of people's parts could potentially be interesting. I'm sure there will be intelligent discussion here!

So far, on TC forum it's pretty easy to search for printed parts, most people producing stuff are either known through reputation (Ampro) or list the cars they work on in titles in the TC designs subforum - or both. 

An issue I can see is saturation of parts. For example there are like five people myself included who have drawn up Falcon bits - it's kind of a non issue at the moment because you have the gold standard on shapeways, fdm repro from a couple eBay sellers and me with a lemonade stand on thingiverse. 

A way to go car by car and see all the mods and trinkets would be lovely but the more I think about it it's a huge undertaking for a novelty. 

Maybe we can have sticky threads in the designs subforum which can grow as the community supports them. If it gets to the point where it's busy or bloated then it's justified a tab on the main site. 

I also have no idea if you potentially open yourself up for legal trouble if you're hosting ad hoc reproduction parts, especially if cars and spares are still in production. Depends how vindictive Ole Two Stars feels. 

But like I've said I'll happily contribute what I've got and will keep adding the more I do, until people tell me to stop :P

Watching to see where this goes

H

• Like 2

I think it is a very good idea. 

Algorithms in YT tend to suggest like-minded videos successfully enough, but the 3D printed archives and possibilities are a minefield for me personally.

I tend to "ask taffer".........lol

But I am impressed with the number of people that suggest things on YT to me that I have never heard of before.

If there is ever a video I really like on YT Tamiya related, I used 4k Downloader (free) and it saves it to my external drives. 

Designing improved parts is not my forte at this stage, but if I ever got into 3D printing I would give it a go because I have a lot of experience with AutoCAD through my job. 

Searching - yes you can search and find links are and advice but on the whole tamiyaclub is built around being organised to a degree and this would just being this in line like movies, manuals, advert scans etc

Saturation of parts - I feel if we can bring them all together under one tab and you could see straight away there are 5 versions of falcon arms for example (I didn't realise that). I would hope that would either inspire people to design something else for the falcon or at least, for me, not waste my time doing the same thing!

Legality - this is a good point and maybe for parts that are exactly the same we start by saying if designers could only post up items (like falcon arms) that have an obvious difference in design so it's not a straight copy, much like pintopower does adding logo's or improvements?

For items which are exactly the same, maybe continue as now and keep them in the forums and not be so openly "advertised", it's not my site to speculate on this too much.

• Like 1

I for one, agree wholeheartedly. Thingiverse has become a faff to find anything in, and for the less savvy (like myself!), finding files elsewhere is a headache!!

• Like 1