Wheel_Nut

Build Thread: Wheel Nut's 2WD Truck using a Lunchbox gearbox

For off-road running it would benefit from softer and wider, more grippy tires.     I'm looking at the following from the comical series cars (WR-02CB, GF-01CB).  The tires are not very scale, but the bubble shape will add compliance to the rear suspension which can help with the un-sprung weight aspect.   I won't raise the body any higher.    I will use the rubber tubing suggestion from Waterbok to reduce the rear travel.   For the front, I can make a new shock tower to keep the same overall suspension travel, but have more rebound travel and less compression travel.

tamiya-54865-1-310x310_0.jpg

tamiya-54954-1-310x310_0.jpg

I received a few upgrades for the Truck.

1. Pro-line Trencher wheels and tyres #1194-11.   They came ready mounted on  2.2" rims.   
  2. Tamiya Brushless Motor TLBM-02S 17.5 turn.
  3. Tekin RS Gen 3 brushless controller and hotwire programming interface.

The Pro-line wheel and tyre combo is a good fit to replace the CC-01 wheels.    The body is mounted 4mm lower than before and uses a revised Front shock tower so the tyre doesn't hit the wheel arch at full compression.

The brushless motor gives a huge amount of torque, so I have to be really gentle on the trigger.    Throttle exponential might be part of the solution.   Currently its using 18 degree timing advance programmed into controller timing profile.   I realise the Tekin Controller is overkill for my usage.   The motor runs in sensor-less mode because I didn't want to use a sensor cable and currently I don't have one.  I may need to connect a sensor cable to get smoother starting and reduce the shock on the transmission.

IMG_1818_resize.jpg

Tekin RS gen3 settings.jpg

7 hours ago, Wheel_Nut said:

Tekin RS Gen 3 brushless controller and hotwire programming interface

Does that come with flux capacitor ?

This is looking better every time I see it - you can never go over the top i.m.o

The flux capacitor allows some degree of time-travel.   It takes me back to when I was 15 years old visiting Hong Kong and bought a Tekin esc300 to put in my Tamiya Falcon.

The RS-pro3 also comes with a capacitor (I think its 330uF).  However its a PITA to install along with the 12ga wires on the solder posts.   Fortunately I'm competent with a soldering iron.

@Wheel_Nut Wow. Just amazing work. Everything from the drawings, calculations and crasftsmanship up to your imagination.

I am a massive fan of custom build and fabrication/modding. Not had the courage to mod one of my own 1:1 cars yet apart from suspension or audio, although I have built engines in the past.

RC Cars, my Foxshot was all done off the cuff 30+ years ago with no drawings. Just guesswork and wishful thinking. I've started modding my Bruiser. Nothing much, but it may get extensive :) I use it, LOTS.

I would love to know more about you, what you do workwise, and your hobbies. Curious and impressed :)

Not particularly amazing, as the concept was to combine a rigid front axle with  the lunchbox rigid rear axle.  My approach may be different from typical rc car modification because I took my time for planning and working on the drawings.  In hindsight using a CAD system such as Fusion 360 would have been easier.   I'll be using CAD from now on.   In my past hobby I designed some radio control airplanes and built them from balsa wood, so there were a lot of design drawings done for those.

I've been trying to learn Fusion 360 CAD.   I download the software and it allowed me to registered as free for personal use.   I'm really a beginner when it comes to this CAD system.

What I'm planning is a similar 2WD truck with bigger tires.  This time it will be using the rear gearbox and suspension from the Mantaray.  Wheelbase will again be 260mm but the track will be wider.

Its going to be a while before I'm ready to actually build.   The pic shows what I'm up to currently, so there is a lot more work to do.  Let me know if you have suggestions.

CAD model.jpg

It seems the chrome rims were the right choice, but I missed a trick by not putting yellow spotlights.

blockhead wild one.jpg

IMG_1753_resize.jpg

• Like 2

This is a great scratch build. Your 2wd build makes me wonder if anyone has thought of a way to add steering to a CW-01 axle and make a 2 motor MOA monster truck based off a hopper/ Lunchbox axle. 
I can’t be the only one  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

This is a great scratch build. Your 2wd build makes me wonder if anyone has thought of a way to add steering to a CW-01 axle and make a 2 motor MOA monster truck based off a hopper/ Lunchbox axle. 
I can’t be the only one  

Independent front suspension would be easier.   Many people have adapted the WT-01 gearbox into independent suspension, such as my Hornet from 1994.   Maybe you could duplicate the same WT-01 gearbox at both ends, but with universal drive shafts at the front.    Another idea I had is to use two TA-01/ Mantaray rear gearboxes, and make a dual motor truck, then all the drive shafts and uprights should be off-the-shelf.   Even the 4WD Mantaray drive-train with a shortened drive shaft could be adapted, as a single brushless motor should really have enough torque when geared at 1:11.27.

• Like 1