Bastiaan

Top Force 1991

Hello everybody,

First post! I've been lurking around here for quite some time. I got hold of an original Top Force (at least, I hope so :)) and thought it would be nice to share the restoring project. I think I am somewhat of a cliche: found my old Bear Hawk and threw it away but changed my mind. Now I'm almost done restoring and three buggy's added: a Grasshopper (re), a (partiallly) vintage Frog and now a Top Force. Probably not the last! Really enjoy looking for parts and slowly getting things running again. I'm taking it slow. No Lipo or brushless power yet and using 27mhz transmitters. 

Well, here she is:

02MKsiO.jpg

Shell is in good shape. The wing on the other hand...

irNYO1O.jpg

Not sure how to fix this. Advice is welcome. Maybe look for a new one...

Hi-caps:

F5YTMXw.jpg

Car is VERY greasy...The screw holders of the gearbox holders are cracked. New parts tree on its way. 

S9CGa2n.jpg

Yokomo Super Wing. Not familiar. Read it's a rare motor, but what isn't rare these days?

Q1gfLXY.jpg

Not familiar with this type of connector. Doesn't fit the Tamiya one. 

MPYY19v.jpg

This broken piece attached to the back doesn't make any sense. Suggestions?

nFsZde0.jpg

Overview:

kchGlQW.jpg

Going to start taking it apart and cleaning soon! Curious what I will find...

• Like 8

Started dismantling. 

I read that the motor mount of the Top Force was quite fragile. Sure looks like it. This might be the reason why this Top Force retired many many years ago. 

yYz8Mre.jpg

Dampers look good (and greasy). 

VdKdREL.jpg

Hmmm. One of the ball connectors of the servo steering rod looks melted. Wonder if this was done deliberately to make sure it would stay in place, looks different from the other connector. 

D9q05NP.jpg

Car is dismantled now, except for the gearboxes. To be continued!

• Like 2

Cleaning is in full progress and replacement/hopup parts are arriving. Very satisfying to see all those shiny plastic parts ;)

gFLePkT.jpg

fNtggNq.jpg

I looked at the motor a little bit better. Does someone know what 'Mt' stands for? I can only think of ' Monster Truck'. It's a 17t by the way. 

rM5Dowa.jpg

Hey Bastiaan, if you're interested, I have silver B parts tree that I'd part with for very little. Been collecting dust for awhile now.

23 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

nice top force. my guess mt is modified turns.

That makes sense, thanks ;)

19 hours ago, lucasan said:

Hey Bastiaan, if you're interested, I have silver B parts tree that I'd part with for very little. Been collecting dust for awhile now.

Hi Lucasan, a new B parts tree is on it's way. But thanks!

• Like 1

Slowly, very slowly, parts are dripping in. I could have bought a brand new Top Force for the same money (maybe 1,5), but that would take away the satisfaction of restoring an original. 

OacPquH.jpg?1

Whole car is stripped and cleaned. 

XmMK3k5.jpg?1

I tried stripping the paint with braking fluid. Not really a succes. Turned out very cloudy. Maybe the body can be saved with polycarbotane cleaner...

kY2IBjY.jpg

The wing is beyond saving. Very brittle and cracked. 

MF2VJpg.jpg

A new body and wing set is on it's way. I hope to start reassembling next week!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, Bastiaan said:

I looked at the motor a little bit better. Does someone know what 'Mt' stands for? I can only think of ' Monster Truck'. It's a 17t by the way. 

rM5Dowa.jpg

I'm thinking like above Mt modified turn or modified tuned I don't think a monster truck brushed motors would be 17t they are more in the 20s (like the tamiya sport tuned) for monster trucks? Good original topforce though! A Good clean and it's as good as new but that wing with the Ariel in it needs replacing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bastiaan said:

Slowly, very slowly, parts are dripping in. I could have bought a brand new Top Force for the same money (maybe 1,5), but that would take away the satisfaction of restoring an original. 

OacPquH.jpg?1

Whole car i stripped and cleaned. 

XmMK3k5.jpg?1

I tried stripping the paint with braking fluid. Not really a succes. Turned out very cloudy. Maybe the body can be saved with polycarbotane cleaner...

kY2IBjY.jpg

The wing is beyond saving. Very brittle and cracked. 

MF2VJpg.jpg

A new body and wing set is on it's way. I hope to start reassembling next week!

it can be fixed, epoxy, CF cloth or #1-2 Oz. fiberglass cloth and micro ballons (aids in sanding morw easily)Microballoons Filler 8 oz

• Like 1

Thanks ACCEL! I will save the wing and try the epoxy thing! Have to get the materials though, and do some research what the best method is. For now a new wing will do. 

i usually use West Systems 206 & 105 but it's a lil' steep mostly for my boats,  Z-Poxy works really well.

you'll trip if yo use the Oz. fiberglass it literally disappears when the resin hits it, or things get hot!

i've been glassn' for years and always find different ways to keep it less messy.

this was because of Green Lock-Tite, i did not heed the warning on the bottle, but had read it and thought i didn't use much and it ate this whole center area where my fasteners penetrated through..........................................o5nAOi6.jpg

i had to try

• Like 1

I’m giving the hi-caps a good clean. But how on Earth do you remove the circlips? I’ve got a pair of pliers but they are to big and I can’t find the right ones...

QrEBVwr.jpg

You'll need a pair of very fine tipped tweezers for those.  And a lot of patience.

You might want to disassemble this inside a plastic bag, just in case the the clip goes flying.  Not an easy part to find in a carpet, and even harder to replace with a spare.  Unless the dampers are leaking, or if you already have spare parts, it's probably best to leave alone for now.

• Like 2

Reassembled the diffs and the hicaps. It’s really satisfying seeing them shine like that 🙂

vFlixxm.jpg

• Like 3

On this great forum I learned about the gearbox cover and that it is not uncommon that it comes loose. So I experimented a bit with one of the (also on this forum) proposed solutions to this problem. 

IMUoJWN.jpg

DOczfg6.jpg

oiuXEVr.jpg

Not bored at all during this lockdown!

• Like 1

I did a test run today on some tarmac. Impressed! Never drove a Top Force before and it really is a pleasure to drive. Very stable and responsive. The Yokomo motor that was installed when I bought the car is pretty fast. Had two small accidents (explains the missing rear dog bone in the picture below) but was fortunate that the right spare parts were on the trees I bought for other parts 🙂

I do not have any experience with restoring lexan bodies so decided to by a new one. Will save the old one for a possible project. 

Almost ready for painting! New tires are also on their way.

yoyjVlr.jpg

3TCPKMA.jpg

70EU7n6.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:19 PM, Howards said:

Looks like you've done a great job. Nice!

Thanks! Will post some pictures when it's finished. Body will be box art, after some doubts, so nothing new there, but at least there is proof that the project is done ;)

18 hours ago, Bastiaan said:

Almost ready for the decals! And waiting for new wheels & tires...

jZtIDIz.jpg

Looking superb absolutely top job on what it originally looked like! I bought a topforce few years ago from a local boot sale which was a bit of a mess! it had bits of topforce evo on it to the extent I didn't know if it was a standard or evo topforce the rear had hi-caps it had one orange wheel on the front and back one way diff and all carbon chassis and shock towers but green body so I did what you did and completely took it apart and rebuilt it as a evolution! 

20191027_102403.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, moffman said:

Looking superb absolutely top job on what it originally looked like! I bought a topforce few years ago from a local boot sale which was a bit of a mess! it had bits of topforce evo on it to the extent I didn't know if it was a standard or evo topforce the rear had hi-caps it had one orange wheel on the front and back one way diff and all carbon chassis and shock towers but green body so I did what you did and completely took it apart and rebuilt it as a evolution! 

20191027_102403.jpg

Nice! It’s not done yet but I’m pretty happy how it turned out. But bying a new shell feels like cheating a bit 😉