No that’s cool - you are making sense :)

when I pull the starter with no glow plug in it turns quite freely but can feel the putt putt putt through the string and if if becomes flooded then there is defo hydro lock making the engine harder to turn (so much be good compression)

the other bit to mention of that an awful lot of the black gunk can come out of the pull start hole - again I guess if it gets flooded 

As I said, it has run twice for 20 secs and was screaming away nicely then just cut out and wouldn’t go again

rhe glow plugs I have don’t strike me as being very bright so ordered some from modelsport instead 

JJ

Further to what @guggles is saying about compression, it should feel “squishy” as the piston gets to TDC, like there is a squash ball in the top of the engine if that makes sense. 

I wish I could pop over to assist, unfortunately even without the current restrictions, being in another hemisphere would make it very hard to get there 😂.

Keep posting up how you are going, these IC engines can be intimidating, but once you get your head around them there’s no RC experience quite like it

Boy I sure hope Muddipete79 doesnt mind us taking over his thread in diagnosing your problem. We all would love to hear back from him also im sure. 

It does seem like everybody in the nitro thread has a NDF-01 right now. Makes me want to find a example also haha. 

Anywhoo... Problem child if there is very little resistance when pulling the starter string with the glowplug out I would wager that your engine is pretty tired. Usually theres kind of a "ridge" or tough spot it has to get over when pulling on the cord. Even with a glow plug removed. This is the pinch and is what makes compression. 

The fact that oil has made its way out to the pullstart housing confirms my suspicion unfortunately as oil there means the bushing for the pull start shaft is worn and letting oil through. Maybe if you want to run the car alot look into getting a new engine and breaking it in. 

Having to bottle feed an engine and then it not wanting to stay running is a sign that it has little compression. Any ideas on the history of the engine or how many liters of fuel it has seen? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, guggles said:

Boy I sure hope Muddipete79 doesnt mind us taking over his thread in diagnosing your problem. We all would love to hear back from him also im sure. 

It does seem like everybody in the nitro thread has a NDF-01 right now. Makes me want to find a example also haha. 

Anywhoo... Problem child if there is very little resistance when pulling the starter string with the glowplug out I would wager that your engine is pretty tired. Usually theres kind of a "ridge" or tough spot it has to get over when pulling on the cord. Even with a glow plug removed. This is the pinch and is what makes compression. 

The fact that oil has made its way out to the pullstart housing confirms my suspicion unfortunately as oil there means the bushing for the pull start shaft is worn and letting oil through. Maybe if you want to run the car alot look into getting a new engine and breaking it in. 

Having to bottle feed an engine and then it not wanting to stay running is a sign that it has little compression. Any ideas on the history of the engine or how many liters of fuel it has seen? 

Wish could help out, I am a total novice in nitro engines. Good luck

On 4/21/2020 at 1:07 AM, Problemchild said:

Thanks guys 

ill order some other glow plugs anyway 

like I said it’s fired up a few times so something is defo working ;)

what I’d hypothesise is that the gunk in the engine is maybe fouling the glow plug?

can they be cleaned up?

the starter is brand new 

how do I know if the clutch is sticking?

JJ

So started today after around 30 sec. Not run for 2 years.

Used HPI glow plug. HPI lube in each hole. Removed and replaced pull starter.

Set up to instructions using 25 percent nitro.

Good luck

20200423_205744.jpg

On 4/21/2020 at 1:07 AM, Problemchild said:

Thanks guys 

ill order some other glow plugs anyway 

like I said it’s fired up a few times so something is defo working ;)

what I’d hypothesise is that the gunk in the engine is maybe fouling the glow plug?

can they be cleaned up?

the starter is brand new 

how do I know if the clutch is sticking?

JJ

I have attached some photos from the manual, I can't see anything that refers to type of glow plug. My HPI one died in 2 min. So I have a cheap Chinese one which seems ok.

I have the factory set for needles, remember to turn high needle in i think 1/4 turn once broken in. As the manual states.

I run 25% nitro.

Set factory, then slightly adjust the idle needle I have found this helps to get more fuel in. I also pump the fuel in a good 6-7 pumps.

Hope it helps.

20200427_182405.jpg

20200427_182400.jpg

Hello

Just reading about your troubles, in the manual it has a medium glow plug the one you have is a cold plug might be causing some starting trouble as well.

Don't want to increase the complications though :(

I would put an OS No 8 Medium plug in it. If the weather gets a lot hotter switch to an OS A3

On 6/13/2020 at 1:37 PM, acprc said:

I would put an OS No 8 Medium plug in it. If the weather gets a lot hotter switch to an OS A3

Awesome - thanks 

will try that 

it has run and it seemingly oversped then stopped 

JJ